200 or 300 Reel for SD Bay Bass

Sep 16, 2018
San Diego - Alpine
Name
Michael
Boat
Moooooo
Hey Guys,

I’m going to start fishing from a small boat in the bays and inshore. Mostly bass but whatever else decides to bite my bait.

Should I even bother with 200 size reels or just stick to 300?

Can a 300 ( curado ej for example) toss smaller plastics and jig heads or would lighter 200 spool work better?

These will be put on 8’ rods, if that makes a difference.

thanks

Reactions: Shewillbemine
Upvote 0

Reelax_N_Fish

Almost A Member
Oct 5, 2010
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
These feet were made for walking
I have caught everything from spotties, halibuts, and even an angel shark on my coastal 200. Id say stick to 200 sized reels

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Hell, I use my 300 for yellowtail sometimes. You'll want to stick to 200 or smaller if you're fishing the bays/inside the harbor.

Inshore you can push to 300 but pay attention to what the fish are biting and what you're catching. If you have to go smaller and more subtle, even a 300 might be too big for the day.

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    I just use freshwater bass gear... something that casts very easily... so I can just hit spots bang bang... been using an old rig lately... Lews Speed Spool on a Fenwick HMG 7'0"... 10lb test... I actually use it in the surf as well as the Bay... all you need... 200 Series should be plenty...

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    I think you need both. You might need both at some time during the day. Its like asking a golfer which clubs should I bring to the golf course.

If you are fishing the edges of the bay throwing crank baits and small swimbaits for the spotties, the 200 is fine. It is WAY more fun. If you will be long lining down the middle of the bay along the channel edges, then a 300 is your choice.

I have been running the Bay Bass Tournament in SD bay for 25 years and I see what works to catch the big limits to win. Almost every winner has used the long line technique down the channel. Before the advent of thin line spectra, the winning reel was always a Calucutta 400 with 15 lb mono that has been emptied on the drift before you start the retrieve, That keeps your 5 inch swimbait along the bottom for a LONG time before it starts to rise off the bottom as it gets closer to the boat. Keeping your bait in the strike zone (the big bass live right on the bottom) longer increases your odds at catching the big fish that are needed to win. It is a lot of work but the results are worth it as we have probably given away close to $200,000 in cash over the years to the winners.

Upvote 0

Latest posts