200 lb spectra and kite - weigh too much in light winds?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by locvetter, Apr 22, 2018.

1. locvetter

locvetter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Someone whose opinion is experienced based says that sometimes the winds are too light for a kite to support 200# spectra -- better off with just 130.
    I recall having to take a mono topshot off of a kite rig on a trip with calms winds. I was thinking of having 100 or 150 yds of 200# on top of my 130 on a 50W. Thinking the part that might touch other lines or get wear from release clips, etc, maybe should be a bit heavier. Is 200lb spectra heavier enough to worry about kite performance?

RichG likes this.
  2. stephen campbell

stephen campbell aka "Soup"

Name:
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat:
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    When I had that problem on the Big X Cpt Chowder just put a helium balloon on with the kite, off it went and bingo fish on! I fish a 70 full of 200# JB and leaders of 220# X hard mono.

3. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    The Rooster flies the kite with a helium balloon, and they also have a black bag kite. I have never had an issue with 200#, but do not ride other boats. Double trouble sardine usually gets a 2 oz weight unless there is very little wind.

carcass, RichG and locvetter like this.
  4. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Question. Isn’t it better to have mono in the clip verse braid? So if true how much mono do you put on the reel?

locvetter likes this.
  5. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I wonder. Since there is all that slack after a take, one would not need the shock absorption of mono. Don't know if it is more abrasion resistant. I think it is heavier. Anyone know for sure -if anything is for sure in fishing.

6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I have always used 130# spectra for the kite with out any issues...IMO you do not gain that much in abrasion resistance and I like the additional capacity ....Hollow 130# JB has a ABS of around 180#....IMO more than enough....

potuna, ZZZZZ, Squid Sammich and 4 others like this.
  7. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    If the spectra has twisted while in the clip that can be a problem if you get bit. My experience... I have lost a fish and seen fish lost fishing 130# fishing Alijos size tuna. For bigger tuna I have 1000 yards of 200# on my ATD-80, but if i had less reel i might have at least 50 feet of 200# on the end. That would allow a in line serve of 250# leader.

RichG and locvetter like this.
  8. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Have never had that happen....Bill would 200# prevent that failure you discribe?

locvetter likes this.
  9. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    All I can say is I have never seen 200# in the clip break, but 130# a few times. YMMV...

locvetter and Fishybuzz like this.
  10. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Aftco kite with more wind, the Boston is best in light wind or while trolling. On the hook the aftco with a helium balloon as described earlier will do the trick.

locvetter and Bill W like this.
  11. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I have found the days the kite wont fly there is no wind and even with helium balloons the kites wind up straight above the boat.

Neither 130 or 200# spectra would have made a difference in getting it to fly.

I have always fished 130 on a 50W with 25' of 200# mono. Spectra in the clip.

This year I tried a 50 narrow with 100# spectra and 200# mono. Caught a bunch of mid grade fish with no issues. If you are going with ABS against stated strength why not 100#?

Abrasion resistance on spectra under tension is really low. Not sure if you see much benefit with slightly larger higher test spectra.

12. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Key bit of info. Thanks

13. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    I always use a ceramic ring on my kite rig. The 130 spectra runs through the ring. The ring goes in the clip.

Cubeye, Fishybuzz, RichG and 2 others like this.
  14. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    I set up a Cal 50T for a customer recently; spliced 100lb to 130lb spectra for a total of 850 yards plus a 200lb wind-on. Comfortable for a long kite turn and you can use the same rig on big baits.

15. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Dave,
    If I understood what was going on when I was on the kite: It seemed that the crewman controlling the line to the kite was in control of the height of the kite from the water and thus the contact of the bait to the water, with the sliding ceramic clip, both you and the crewman are working together, because your line is sliding freely through the ceramic ring? Or do I have it wrong: The fishing line slides through most clips freely.

16. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    You’ve got the part about the crew controlling the height of the kite. From what I’ve seen, once set, it’s rarely changed until bit. The angler controls the height and action of the bait by either reeling in line or letting it out as needed to position or work the baits. Your spectra still goes through the clip.

With either the ceramic ring or bait, it works the same. With the ring, your spectra rides on the bottom of the ring. The ring goes in the clip with the top of the ring contacting the clip. The ring just ensures your line isn’t getting frayed in a rough clip.

F9193A7C-64ED-45DB-A5E1-F9EF10F043E1.png

17. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    I always use 200# for my kite rig..

On my RP trip we had very little wind... spectra straight to your kite leader.. it worked great.. I do not think 130# would have offered any advantage. Remember you are using your largest gear hoping for a giant.

Jeff

locvetter and Bill W like this.
  18. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Wonderful artwork! Thanks!!

19. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

The advantage is capacity IMO....I may do as John suggested and switch to 100#....

locvetter and Tim Turis like this.
  20. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Why not a ring in the clip?
    Two nice parts about the ring: It sits in the clip perpendicular to the line so the line goes through it just like a guide on a rod, and also like a guide its ceramic so theoretically line slides more nicely making adjusting the bait generally easier.

Bill W, locvetter and dh515 like this.