200 lb spectra and kite - weigh too much in light winds?

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Someone whose opinion is experienced based says that sometimes the winds are too light for a kite to support 200# spectra -- better off with just 130.
    I recall having to take a mono topshot off of a kite rig on a trip with calms winds. I was thinking of having 100 or 150 yds of 200# on top of my 130 on a 50W. Thinking the part that might touch other lines or get wear from release clips, etc, maybe should be a bit heavier. Is 200lb spectra heavier enough to worry about kite performance?

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The Rooster flies the kite with a helium balloon, and they also have a black bag kite. I have never had an issue with 200#, but do not ride other boats. Double trouble sardine usually gets a 2 oz weight unless there is very little wind.

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Question. Isn’t it better to have mono in the clip verse braid? So if true how much mono do you put on the reel?

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Question. Isn’t it better to have mono in the clip verse braid? So if true how much mono do you put on the reel?
    I wonder. Since there is all that slack after a take, one would not need the shock absorption of mono. Don't know if it is more abrasion resistant. I think it is heavier. Anyone know for sure -if anything is for sure in fishing.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    If the spectra has twisted while in the clip that can be a problem if you get bit. My experience... I have lost a fish and seen fish lost fishing 130# fishing Alijos size tuna. For bigger tuna I have 1000 yards of 200# on my ATD-80, but if i had less reel i might have at least 50 feet of 200# on the end. That would allow a in line serve of 250# leader.

Reactions: RichG and locvetter
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    If the spectra has twisted while in the clip that can be a problem if you get bit. My experience... I have lost a fish and seen fish lost fishing 130# fishing Alijos size tuna. For bigger tuna I have 1000 yards of 200# on my ATD-80, but if i had less reel i might have at least 50 feet of 200# on the end. That would allow a in line serve of 250# leader.

Have never had that happen....Bill would 200# prevent that failure you discribe?

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    I have found the days the kite wont fly there is no wind and even with helium balloons the kites wind up straight above the boat.

Neither 130 or 200# spectra would have made a difference in getting it to fly.

I have always fished 130 on a 50W with 25' of 200# mono. Spectra in the clip.

This year I tried a 50 narrow with 100# spectra and 200# mono. Caught a bunch of mid grade fish with no issues. If you are going with ABS against stated strength why not 100#?

Abrasion resistance on spectra under tension is really low. Not sure if you see much benefit with slightly larger higher test spectra.

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I always use a ceramic ring on my kite rig. The 130 spectra runs through the ring. The ring goes in the clip.
    Dave,
    If I understood what was going on when I was on the kite: It seemed that the crewman controlling the line to the kite was in control of the height of the kite from the water and thus the contact of the bait to the water, with the sliding ceramic clip, both you and the crewman are working together, because your line is sliding freely through the ceramic ring? Or do I have it wrong: The fishing line slides through most clips freely.

Upvote 0

dh515

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Dave,
    If I understood what was going on when I was on the kite: It seemed that the crewman controlling the line to the kite was in control of the height of the kite from the water and thus the contact of the bait to the water, with the sliding ceramic clip, both you and the crewman are working together, because your line is sliding freely through the ceramic ring? Or do I have it wrong: The fishing line slides through most clips freely.

You’ve got the part about the crew controlling the height of the kite. From what I’ve seen, once set, it’s rarely changed until bit. The angler controls the height and action of the bait by either reeling in line or letting it out as needed to position or work the baits. Your spectra still goes through the clip.

With either the ceramic ring or bait, it works the same. With the ring, your spectra rides on the bottom of the ring. The ring goes in the clip with the top of the ring contacting the clip. The ring just ensures your line isn’t getting frayed in a rough clip.

F9193A7C-64ED-45DB-A5E1-F9EF10F043E1.png

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
    Jul 10, 2003
    Orange County, CA
    Visit site
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    I always use 200# for my kite rig..

On my RP trip we had very little wind... spectra straight to your kite leader.. it worked great.. I do not think 130# would have offered any advantage. Remember you are using your largest gear hoping for a giant.

Jeff

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    You’ve got the part about the crew controlling the height of the kite. From what I’ve seen, once set, it’s rarely changed until bit. The angler controls the height and action of the bait by either reeling in line or letting it out as needed to position or work the baits. Your spectra still goes through the clip.

With either the ceramic ring or bait, it works the same. With the ring, your spectra rides on the bottom of the ring. The ring goes in the clip with the top of the ring contacting the clip. The ring just ensures your line isn’t getting frayed in a rough clip.

View attachment 920307
    Wonderful artwork! Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    I always use 200# for my kite rig..

On my RP trip we had very little wind... spectra straight to your kite leader.. it worked great.. I do not think 130# would have offered any advantage. Remember you are using your largest gear hoping for a giant.

Jeff

The advantage is capacity IMO....I may do as John suggested and switch to 100#....

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Why not a ring in the clip?

View attachment 920307
    Two nice parts about the ring: It sits in the clip perpendicular to the line so the line goes through it just like a guide on a rod, and also like a guide its ceramic so theoretically line slides more nicely making adjusting the bait generally easier.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat

I would pack 130lb hollow and splice about 50' of 200lb hollow to open more options on a 50 size reel.. And 200lb feels good at the end game and does allow heavy line to be in line served.

Btw. My first kite reel was a Penn 80 loaded with 200lb hollow and about 50' of 300lb hollow with 300lb flouro, baja baby boomer rod. Slow trolling the kite with a jobu and dead flyer. 180lb fish 5 minutes hahah. Nice to feel the fishes full power and strength

Last edited:
    Upvote 0