20 footer I/O looking for a cheaper 2D and lots ofhelp

Gica

May 26, 2021
Los angelesgica
Name
Gica
Boat
20 foot Maxum 5.7l I/O
So I have been looking around and reading everything there is. I use gen 3s 9 inch and 7 inch.
I ran across these 2 Raymarine 1k transducers at 300 bucks each used can be adapted for Lowrance.
B175H 6 to 10 angle and B175L 21 to 32 beam angle. I am also looking at the B75s in M or H, probably M.
The TM150M and TM165HW.
I want to be able to read water column for sure but also some bottom. I don't fish at 1k feet depths yet, not with this boat. Off SoCal cost and some lakes.
I like the 900ft range of the B75M 300w.
The TM165HW is newer and seems ok for the column, don't know about bottom. Most compare it to the B175HW in not so deep water for stripers.
Finally the TM150M which does down to 400 feet or a bit more at 300W 21 to something beam.
Need help am not able to spend that much but mostly want advice on quality all in one compromise. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Gica

May 26, 2021
Los angelesgica
Name
Gica
Boat
20 foot Maxum 5.7l I/O
So I just bought the TM165HW for 141 shipped including tax brand new. I sure hope it will do the trick. I know this is wide so bottom is wide but it's 600W and was going against the TM150M at 300W 80 dollar difference. If I will just bottom I will have to get a through hull B75H or M. But probably H. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
So I just bought the TM165HW for 141 shipped including tax brand new. I sure hope it will do the trick. I know this is wide so bottom is wide but it's 600W and was going against the TM150M at 300W 80 dollar difference. If I will just bottom I will have to get a through hull B75H or M. But probably H. What do you guys think?

That is a very good deal if its brand new. Just make sure you are not buying from a foreign web site. There are lots of fake web sites out there that is in Sri Lanka or India. Just be careful when the deal seems too good to be real...

Reactions: kevina
Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Best case scenario: The transducer is genuine but since its not sold in the country, there is no warranty.

Second Best case: The transducer is a clone, or a "gray market" model that is functional or barely functional.

Bad case: You lost your money and have no recourse

Worse case: You lost your money and the scammers are having a good time buying stuff with your credit card and personal information.

If I was in your position, I would do more research on the company you bought the transducer. You can search their name and company information and determine if they are from India or Sri Lanka. If it doesn't look good, start asking for a chargeback from your credit card company right away.

These fake companies and web site spring up as fast as a 3 card monte game in a street corner. They also disappear just as fast. The sites look professional, but they are just carbon copies with fake company names. The best way to tell is to do a whois lookup and check out for any contact information. They are smart too because they come up so fast and disappear that you will never see a BBB review until its too late. They never stay long enough. Another way to tell is to look at reviews and if you see a bunch of good reviews recently, they are all fake reviews to make the site look legit. The best way to weed these sites out fast is to to look at the price. If the price is 1/3 or 1/2 of the legitimate prices, watch out.

They are also easier to spot when you want to buy a new outboard engine, fishing reel, or marine electronics. They usually price the engines or electronics way below market value. Anything with a higher price tag, they can mark it down half the price and still make a ton of money. If you can't get your money back, its the cheapest lesson you will learn in life. There is no such thing as a great deal unless you are buying from drug addicts or someone who died and their widows don't know the real value.

Sometimes these units from third world countries are grey market units. The manufacturer would toss out the ones that doesn't meet the specs and somehow they find their way into the market instead of the trash can. Other times, the people in the shop would make a product for the company during regular hours under a contract. At night, they have a different crew making clones of the same parts and sell them in the black market using the same equipment. The Microsoft Windows CD's were notorious back in the days. The same crew cranked out legit copies in the day and the night crew made copies of the fake ones to resale in the black market.

I wish you the best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gica

May 26, 2021
Los angelesgica
Name
Gica
Boat
20 foot Maxum 5.7l I/O
Best case scenario: The transducer is genuine but since its not sold in the country, there is no warranty.

Second Best case: The transducer is a clone, or a "gray market" model that is functional or barely functional.

Bad case: You lost your money and have no recourse

Worse case: You lost your money and the scammers are having a good time buying stuff with your credit card and personal information.

If I was in your position, I would do more research on the company you bought the transducer. You can search their name and company information and determine if they are from India or Sri Lanka. If it doesn't look good, start asking for a chargeback from your credit card company right away.

These fake companies and web site spring up as fast as a 3 card monte game in a street corner. They also disappear just as fast. The sites look professional, but they are just carbon copies with fake company names. The best way to tell is to do a whois lookup and check out for any contact information. They are smart too because they come up so fast and disappear that you will never see a BBB review until its too late. They never stay long enough. Another way to tell is to look at reviews and if you see a bunch of good reviews recently, they are all fake reviews to make the site look legit. The best way to weed these sites out fast is to to look at the price. If the price is 1/3 or 1/2 of the legitimate prices, watch out.

They are also easier to spot when you want to buy a new outboard engine, fishing reel, or marine electronics. They usually price the engines or electronics way below market value. Anything with a higher price tag, they can mark it down half the price and still make a ton of money. If you can't get your money back, its the cheapest lesson you will learn in life. There is no such thing as a great deal unless you are buying from drug addicts or someone who died and their widows don't know the real value.

Sometimes these units from third world countries are grey market units. The manufacturer would toss out the ones that doesn't meet the specs and somehow they find their way into the market instead of the trash can. Other times, the people in the shop would make a product for the company during regular hours under a contract. At night, they have a different crew making clones of the same parts and sell them in the black market using the same equipment. The Microsoft Windows CD's were notorious back in the days. The same crew cranked out legit copies in the day and the night crew made copies of the fake ones to resale in the black market.

I wish you the best.
Yeah I doubt it's a fake
They look legit, they are in NC
It's not a huge discount just free shipping and no tax, that sets them apart.
No ShriLanka here.

Upvote 0

Gica

May 26, 2021
Los angelesgica
Name
Gica
Boat
20 foot Maxum 5.7l I/O
Are you using one at the moment, what's your set up like. I also have to see how the transducer will work with gen 3 screens. I am looking for a deal on a Carbon or Live, but some say it works fine on gen3.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I have the TM150M and and also the TM265LH. The TM265 is much better than the TM150M due to the higher power at 1KW. The TM150M is a medium frequency transducer at 300W. It doesn't go as deep and is more prone to turbulence and noise. I do not have the TM165HW to compare. Its better than a standard single frequency transducer, but there is no doubt the TM265LH is much better.

I have a Gen3 and my buddy has a Simrad EVO3 9" and 12". The newer Live and Evo3 series has a better screen that is more visible in the daylight. Other than that, its very similar. All the transducers work with the gen3 units. The issue is that not all transducers are the same. The TM165HW seems like a decent transducer at a budge price. Its definitely not a 1KW monster. It looks like it fills the gap between the 300W and 1KW unit and has a HW frequency that is good for offshore or nearshore. The beam angle is too high for deep water rockfishing in my opinion. If you are not doing deep rockfishing with small structures, it should work just fine.

The TM165HW is listed at $363 from Hodges Marine, a very reputable vendor. The lower powered TM150M is around $250. Unless you bought a different model, the $141 shipped price is highly suspect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gica

May 26, 2021
Los angelesgica
Name
Gica
Boat
20 foot Maxum 5.7l I/O
I have the TM150M and and also the TM265LH. The TM265 is much better than the TM150M due to the higher power at 1KW. The TM150M is a medium frequency transducer at 300W. It doesn't go as deep and is more prone to turbulence and noise. I do not have the TM165HW to compare. Its better than a standard single frequency transducer, but there is no doubt the TM265LH is much better.

I have a Gen3 and my buddy has a Simrad EVO3 9" and 12". The newer Live and Evo3 series has a better screen that is more visible in the daylight. Other than that, its very similar. All the transducers work with the gen3 units. The issue is that not all transducers are the same. The TM165HW seems like a decent transducer at a budge price. Its definitely not a 1KW monster. It looks like it fills the gap between the 300W and 1KW unit and has a HW frequency that is good for offshore or nearshore. The beam angle is too high for deep water rockfishing in my opinion. If you are not doing deep rockfishing with small structures, it should work just fine.

The TM165HW is listed at $363 from Hodges Marine, a very reputable vendor. The lower powered TM150M is around $250. Unless you bought a different model, the $141 shipped price is highly suspect.
Sorry I meant to say 341 shipped and no tax, yeah it looks suspect at 141.
So you have the TM265LH, what depth do you use it at?
I haven't seen LHs before, I did find a listing for B175H and another for B175L these are huge thry hulls. They were 300 dollars each used with the 1kw frequency.
All these 1kw are close to a grand new and used are not available.
The TM165HW should do ok down to 300 feet maybe.
My boat is a I/O sterndrive 5.7L engine so I have no clue if I can even install a transducer under it without interference. I want to make sure before I even think about it. It's a 20 degree angle too.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Sorry I meant to say 341 shipped and no tax, yeah it looks suspect at 141.
So you have the TM265LH, what depth do you use it at?
I haven't seen LHs before, I did find a listing for B175H and another for B175L these are huge thry hulls. They were 300 dollars each used with the 1kw frequency.
All these 1kw are close to a grand new and used are not available.
The TM165HW should do ok down to 300 feet maybe.
My boat is a I/O sterndrive 5.7L engine so I have no clue if I can even install a transducer under it without interference. I want to make sure before I even think about it. It's a 20 degree angle too.

At high chirp, its used up to around 800 feet. We don't usually go that deep because we can't fish for rockfish in those depths. If the bottom is that deep or deeper, we are usually in a plane and hauling ass.

At low chirp, we are able to track bottom at close to around 2300-2500 feet as we cross to Catalina Island.

The transom mounted transducers are more susceptible to turbulence and noise so the thru-hulls are always better in plane. At lower speeds, they both work very well. I tell others, if you want to track bottom at plane at 20-35 mph, a thru hull is best. If you mainly fish and want to track at slower speeds, a transom mounted version is fine. In our case, we have no choice since we can't install a thru hull. It makes the decision that much easier. We use it on high chirp most of the time anyways.

You can find it cheaper in Ebay. I saw a TM275LHW sold for $750 brand new this year. You will see deals come and go if you wait long enough. I got mine around $550 a while back.

The TM165HW you got seems fine for most inshore fishing. Run it for a while and see if you like it. The higher power just goes deeper. I have the standard high (not wide) because we do a lot of rockfishing and the wide is harder to pinpoint the rocks. The HW is great for local yellowtail or offshore fishing for tuna, etc. You really don't need to go deeper than 600 feet when you are hunting for tuna unless you are fishing deeper for swordfish. The 600W transducer seems like a good compromise between the higher end 1KW units and the 300W TM150M series.

Upvote 0