20/0 hooks

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    So been looking for the info - but failing again to find what I need - so: to the source - you.

According the the 2014 video from Jonathan Yamate on the RP, and others, it is reasonable to use 20/0 circle hooks for such things as big squid rigs and flyer rigs from the kite.

For some years now I have wondered about what hooks to use. (I first watched the video when it was almost new.)
    The Mustad 39960 are affordable, but gosh are they dull -- I can get them sharp, but what a pain.
    The Mustad Perfect points 39937NP are great -- except the cost about $30 to $42 each!!!
    The black 20/0 sold by Catchall tackle I think are the ones marked by Lindgren Pitman, and seem very sharp and nice, but the ones Jonathan is showing are silver, not black.

What say your guys on the topic of great big circle hooks. What brand and number, offset or not, Needed? Has anyone out there caught a big tuna on one of these??

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago
    I just bought these and they are on the way...

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336488034&icep_item=152839397472

I use them for squid but always for flyers on the kite. Next long trip i am going to try them on skippie baits.

Believe me the hook does a great job without any sharpening.
    Those are the ones I used on big man baits (off set in a vice) they worked great...

IMG_0041.JPG

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Off set is not exact but about 3/8". The off set is only to make it easier to hook the Bait. Didn't sharpen.
    Thanks!

Intriguing to me that several people have commented that they do not sharpen these hooks, yet these hooks are NOT very sharp and in the advertising for many premium hooks there is emphasis on how sharp they are (Owner, Trokar, other Mustads, etc.).

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Thanks!

Intriguing to me that several people have commented that they do not sharpen these hooks, yet these hooks are NOT very sharp and in the advertising for many premium hooks there is emphasis on how sharp they are (Owner, Trokar, other Mustads, etc.).

A circle hook is escape proof once it sets. The duratin finish will rust after a sharpening. Commercial fishermen use that hook cause the fish will only swim in one direction and the hook will set in the corner and the weight on the line is enough to assure no escape. Some of the hottest fishermen i know just use the 39965 DT for sardines. I like the non-offset cause it rarely misses the perfect placement. Guess if you listen to Tackle Salesmen they will want to sell you the latest greatest super sharp hook, and while that has an advantage when pinning on a small bait it is useless as a hind tit with bigger bait.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    A circle hook is escape proof once it sets. The duratin finish will rust after a sharpening. Commercial fishermen use that hook cause the fish will only swim in one direction and the hook will set in the corner and the weight on the line is enough to assure no escape. Some of the hottest fishermen i know just use the 39965 DT for sardines. I like the non-offset cause it rarely misses the perfect placement. Guess if you listen to Tackle Salesmen they will want to sell you the latest greatest super sharp hook, and while that has an advantage when pinning on a small bait it is useless as a hind tit with bigger bait.

Bill W you right on the money IMO...I only use non offset circles...I don't sharpen any of my circle hooks....

Upvote 0

hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 21, 2008
    Aurora Colorado
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    None
    I've caught all but 1 of my cows, on the eagle claw 2045, from 16/0 to 20/0. GREAT hook! Always use them for salami's on up. But I do sharpen them. some habits just don't die!!!
    Used to be able to buy them in bulk (box of 100) for about a buck a piece. Not any more though.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    I've caught all but 1 of my cows, on the eagle claw 2045, from 16/0 to 20/0. GREAT hook! Always use them for salami's on up. But I do sharpen them. some habits just don't die!!!
    Used to be able to buy them in bulk (box of 100) for about a buck a piece. Not any more though.

So Kevin I assume all your cows were caught with big baits...not sardines.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 21, 2008
    Aurora Colorado
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    None
    Not at all Fishy. I put that 20/0 into an anchovy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAOROFL Yes David, Salami's. and one on a skippy, and one on a small bait tank mackerel, and a 9/0 eagle claw lazer sharp with the black pearl finish. Gotta love the Eagle Claw hooks!

Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago
    Thanks!

Sharp enough...

Upvote 0