2 x overnight trips vs 1 longer trip?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Pitchinwedge, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Pitchinwedge

Pitchinwedge Member

Name:
    Sammie
    Boat:
    None
    Mulling over the pros and cons of a couple of short trips back-to-back versus one longer trip. So, let’s say I three days to fish, some possible options might be:

3 day trip
    2 x 1.5 day trips
    1.5 day + overnight

What’s preference and why?

2. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    One three day trip. It gives the captain more options of where to fish. On a typical overnight, you''ll only be fishing until 2 p.m. or so and then spend the rest of the afternoon driving back to the dock depending on where the fish are. Why waste all that fishing time? Good luck.

3. Paul Ward

Paul Ward Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    wooddog
    Boat:
    Boaty

4. Paul Ward

Paul Ward Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    wooddog
    Boat:
    Boaty
    Day and a half trip over an overnight.worth the extra money to fish till dark ,eat,shower then sleep all the way in. I'm usually well rested and able to get to work a little late in the morning after a 1.5 day.

5. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    Do a 2.5.

Fish 2 full days back to back.

If you dont wake up on fish the first day, you probably will the second.

I hate to leave fish biting to head back to SD, so I always do trips that end in .5.

6. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Assuming you are talking about yt/yft/dorado and not big bluefin... You can generally get more leverage out of an overnight later in the season. If it were me, I’d do a 2 day in Late August to late September (which is a 1.5 day plus an overnight), and then do an overnight in October November if/when the schoolie fish are closer in

bdubs73 likes this.
  7. Abusaade

Abusaade Member

2.5 is the way to go on a 3 day VC

MAG0121 and jer dog like this.
  8. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    That's a tough one to figure out.You could get stuck for 3 consecutive days of lousy fishing or you could do several 1 days and try to time it right.You could also have bad timing no matter what.

SouthBayKiller likes this.
  9. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Just depends. Are you booking the day before the trip or locking in a distant future trip? If you left today it would likely be:

Overnight - kelp fishing, boats did good today but hadn’t done that great in this zone recently with more unreported misses than actual hits, but if today is any indication of the near future that may be changing. Draw backs are less time on the water, no shot at an evening bite if the morning strikes out. Boat gets back at night meaning no fish processing options if that is your cup of tea.

1.5 - full day sun up to sun down fishing, likely kelp fishing but in the futher zone than the overnight fleet can get to which currently might be a better deal as the kelps are hit less. Get back in the morning, can use a processor if you want. Also depending on how far from the landing you live it means you can drive home rested (big deal for me personally).

3 day - either hit the bluefin then the kelps or kelps first. Perhaps there is something else going on futher south that we don’t know about yet or will pop off soon. Give you the most time on the water and with this bluefin biting in the middle of the night, the potential for that as well.

If you are locking in a trip for the future I’d say the 3 day trip gives you the best shot to not completely miss, but it’s all a crap shoot.

bdubs73 likes this.
  10. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    The other reason for my 2.5 day answer is I hate the long boat ride back to SD.

Often it is just 6 hours of thinking about all the crap I need to do once the boat gets back.

I would much rather sleep through the drive, and have a full day to clean up tackle and fish.

tresbien, bdubs73, Abusaade and 2 others like this.
  11. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    if I go out of San Diego , A Over Night Is not
    Worth it too me , 1 1/2 Minimum, is the way to go,
    21/2 is Perfect this time of Year, because if you Have
    Good Fishing the First Day, you
    can Stay their over night in that Area
    and fish their the next morning ,
    not too have to start working your way up the Line
    yet to Get Back closer to Home,
    its a No Brainer to Have As Much Time on The Water
    so you can find Fish willing to Bite.

Abusaade and bdubs73 like this.
  12. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    in your "consecutive day" scenario, why would you consider breaking down your gear for the ride back to the dock (and missing a possible late afternoon/sun-downer bite), changing boats, re-rigging on another boat, and riding back out to where you were (missing a possible pre-dawn hours bite). If you are looking to target the big tunas, notice the dark skies in many of those pictures. ;)
    Constitution & Poseidon are "killin' it" on their 2.5 day trips.

jer dog, SouthBayKiller and bdubs73 like this.
  13. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Not knowing all the factors you are dealing with due to your personal schedule, my vote in general is always the longer trip. So in this case the 2.5 or the 3 days trip is the best option. The main reason is that they offer the maximum fishing time and range. If the fish are close it gives you a lot of fishing time; if they are active-great. If they are not super active you have more opportunities to connect. If the fish are further away this gives the captain more time to get you in range with them. The above input in regards to when you can and will book is critical, if you are doing it last minute, do whatever trip you can. If you are planning further out, pick a longer trip and go for it! And have fun:)

14. Andrewxxx

Andrewxxx Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    1985--18.5 Holiday Center Console
    Wait for great fish reports and then take any boat, like tomorrow would probably be great because of todays reports.

Tunahead likes this.
  15. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    This time of year between July and early October most overniters and 1.5 dayers are fishin "generally" the same area.
    If you are able to make it to Diego at 2 different times I would go with the 2 - 1.5 dayer option. This way you get to fish these areas at two different times. Sometimes a lull can last for 2-4 days due to weather or moon phase or poor bait availability so coming down at 2 diff times almost guarantees you 2 different windows to try your luck.

I suggested 1.5 dayers cuz they can fish several hours longer than an overniter on an average year.

Good luck on whichever decision you make. What is most important is you get out when your schedule allows but def just get out !!!

SonyCbad and Tunahead like this.
  16. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Tuna fishing since 1960 I've done most length trips. Right now, I'd do two
    1.5's. Bait stays fresh all day, target the fish where they are and been
    the day before. Some 2-6 day trips, depending on swell and weather, the
    bait gets beat up, often dies and it all jig and troll fishing. The longer trips
    down to Cedros, the Lupe you can make bait-Macks etc.When the water
    and air warm up, Bait takes a toll longer you're out. Another perspective. GL

#2 If cost is a factor, the 2-3 day trips usuall include meals and the avg. cost
    per day is less than say 2 1.5's. When it's wide open, it's a toss up. Moon phase,
    wind, swell all come into play. Check out www.knotabyte.com for up to the minute info. G:

17. Pitchinwedge

Pitchinwedge Member

Name:
    Sammie
    Boat:
    None
    Today’s reports didn’t look impressive? What’s the logic? Today’s a miss so tomorrow should be good? I don’t think I get it.

18. Pitchinwedge

Pitchinwedge Member

Name:
    Sammie
    Boat:
    None
    That knotabyte is interesting. Have you found it to be reasonably accurate? Says poor conditions at the moment.

At the moment I’m thinking ahead for mid to end of Aug. Pretty much had my fill of yellowtail a week ago so I’d like a chance at some bluefin. Just wary about the way they’re biting. A couple of biggies and everyone else is sitting on their thumb. Regardless of trip length, it seems like a toss up. A bit of variety would be nice but no way to predict what the Capt has planned. Or is there?

Tunahead likes this.
  19. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    Save your money and do a 5 or 6 day trip. Cost per day is cheaper per day on longer trips. pros Gourmet meals inc in price and your on one of the true L.R boats, staterooms, snacks etc , all included in the price. It's night and day compared to the 1.5-3 day boats , Except for a couple L.R boats that do 3 dayers,

20. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    YES Knotabyte is up to the minute info! I'm off on a 1.5 day tonight.
    We'll hopefully shred that Poor forcast...I think more related to out 30-60
    miles offshore, than down the line West of Colonet. Even Excel,Searcher,
    Islander and others were fishing down south this weekend. Hint. GL when you go.