2 Speed Reel with Calstar GF800M

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by Daniel Lee, Jul 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dan Uke

Dan Uke Newbie

Name:
    Dan Lee
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hi guys

I’m new to fishing and my friend is going to make me a Calstar 8FT Medium Grafighter. I want to get a 2 speed since he just made me a 8FT ML with a Shimano Trinidad 14A. I don’t plan on doing anything more than a day but want a 2 speed in case I hook up to a bigger fish. I’m thinking about the SX Raptor since I heard good things and don’t want a heavy reel.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Schmitt likes this.
  2. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    Why do you want a two speed reel for 30 lb test line?

marlyn likes this.
  3. Dan Uke

Dan Uke Newbie

Name:
    Dan Lee
    Boat:
    N/A
    I just assume it makes it easier as I get older. My friend who is making my rod told me I don’t need it too but it seems cool to have. I really don’t have a good reason

4. writebrian

writebrian ... and I'm 6'5"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Save yourself a ton of cash and buy a Penn Fathom 25N. Half the price and far more versatile than an SX

Let em eat 74 and mcrae like this.
  5. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    Penn Fanthom sounds about right.

6. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    I'm Putting a Talica 10, on My 800 M
    when I use it in August ,
    I will Let Every one Know How It
    Handles School Size Tuna.

7. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    The Avet Raptor does cost more money than the Fathom, but it's also machined, not cast, and made in the US. Unless money is very tight, go with the Raptor.

fishkiller12672 likes this.
  8. Isaiah M. R.

Isaiah M. R. Member

Name:
    Isaiah
    Boat:
    60' Viking
    Avet mxj is my go to set up with this rod.

9. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    My sons 800m is paired with a Torium 30HG, and mine has a Pro Gear V-30. Both more than capable on those rods. I get the getting older part, but a two speed is no where near necessary. It would be like a two speed trout rod.

catharsis, surfgoose and Cheech like this.
  10. Dan Uke

Dan Uke Newbie

Name:
    Dan Lee
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the advices so far. If 2 speed is overkill, then should I get the single speed SX or the MXJ?

11. Dan Uke

Dan Uke Newbie

Name:
    Dan Lee
    Boat:
    N/A
    I agree that people don’t use 2 speed trout rods but I see a lot of people use really big rods and reels. I try to use UL rods with 500 to 1000 size reels.

12. Arima-bob

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....

The 800m is a 25-30# stick. A single speed star drag is more than adequate. The mxj might be more your speed if you really want to go lever drag. I have an SX on my 20# stick, and it handles that quite nicely. I can cast it good, but the torium on my boys, and the V-30 on mine can cast a country mile with the appropriate jig. If you only going to flyline bait, I would consider an 800ml. I would consider a two speed on a 40# rig, and definitely on a 50+

I wouldn't use a 30# stick on fish that could potentially require a two speed anyway. There's enough lift in that rod to handle the majority of fish that reside in our local waters. If you are targeting the bluefin tuna, then the 800m would be my go to for schoolie size fish. If the cows are making a showing, you're gonna need a bigger rig. That 800 with just about any single speed reel will handle fish to 50 pounds. I would hesitate on putting an SX on it though.

13. Dan Uke

Dan Uke Newbie

Name:
    Dan Lee
    Boat:
    N/A
    What is the purpose of the SX two speed and raptor then?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  14. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Your lighter action ML with your Trinidad 14a is your perfect 20# rig for flyline bait and light jigs. But with your new, heavier action rod I think that the perfect reel would be an Avet MXL 6/4. It is only a few ounces heavier than any of the SX two speeds, and is probably the most useful all-around thirty pound reel for SoCal offshore fishing, and the price is right. The Avets are 10% off right now, which covers your tax, and you get three hundred yards of free braid which saves another $40 or so.

Any decent star drag reel will cast further than one of the last-decade two-speed designs, but not by very much! If all that you are going to do is cast surface iron, then go ahead and get a good star drag reel. But if you are casting sardines as bait, you are not going to try to throw them fifty yards, you are going to gently lob them to just a couple of feet past where the chum is landing, which is very rarely more than twenty yards. And if you are yo-yoing or doing a dropper loop or letting a flat fall-type lure flutter down, you are not casting any distance at all. And the two-speed option makes a HUGE difference in a fight with a big fish.

The newer two-speed reels by Avet and Penn and Okuma and all of the other manufacturers are really, really good reels, light and strong and needing almost no maintenance. The days of the huge, heavy two-speeds are gone, except for very rare situations like swordfishing or chasing giant tuna and billfish. And that is not what you are after with your new rod. But put an MXL 6/4 or a similar two speed Penn or Okuma on your new rod, and any fish under a hundred pounds (which is 99% of what you will encounter) is a Dead Fish Swimming.

15. Arima-bob

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....

To get the guy that HAS to have the newest neat toy.
    pointless in my opinion.

plj46, Lipripper#1504 and mcrae like this.
  16. Dan Uke

Dan Uke Newbie

Name:
    Dan Lee
    Boat:
    N/A
    ok after reading all the posts and reading other threads, I tend to agree that the 2 speed is probably overkill but unfortunately, I am the guy that likes new toys so I will end up with a 2 speed. I haven’t fished the ML and already getting a M rod made. I’ve only gone 1/2 day sculpin fishing and used a Daiwa Lexa 400HD and that seemed plenty strong.

Fishing addiction is a sick disease! I plan to stop after this one since I’m more interested in lake and surf fishing.

Thanks again for all the input!

17. Arima-bob

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....

:Zombie_Ro Good luck on that. An SX raptor would probably be the best match up in line class.

18. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I hear this all the time that the GFGR-800M is a 25-30# stick. I use it for 40# because it was the rod that was recommended to me by the builder of the rod....Leon Todd. I've been using it that way for about 20 years and it's worked well for me. He told me to fish the Grafighter rods on the high end of the rating scale, and the glass rods in the middle.

The Avet SX 6/4 Raptor is can easily handle 30-40-50# line, so with Spectra backing you could use the outfit for 25, 30 and 40#.

Go with what you want. You'll feel better.

19. Dan Uke

Dan Uke Newbie

Name:
    Dan Lee
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Now I’m also thinking about the MXJ Raptor. I might buy another rod in the future and just change top shot to match the rod. I figure I can always use less drag.

Cubeye likes this.
  20. BT3Steve

BT3Steve Wishin I was Fishin!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    I wish
    I just got back from an 8 day and bought an MXJ 6/4 G2 for my 30# rig prior to the trip. It is now my favorite reel. I fished it on a Calstar 970 which is the same line rating as the 800M. It was a stealthy Yellowtail killing machine. Though they bit 40# on my JX, the 30# MXJ was lighter, smaller and just felt like an extension of my hand. It was way more sporting/fun. When we hit the Bluefin grounds and had to drop down to 20/25 flouro, it worked perfectly for that as well. And let me tell you, when you're fishing Bluefin on 20# that low gear is a godsend when you're in the final circles at the boat just out of gaff range and you know one more hard pull is going to break him off or instead, you just keep winding slowly in that low gear. I have an 800M as well that i use a Newell 332 on and if i had to put a different reel on it, it would be an MXJ. Go with the Raptor if you must ( all the cool kids do), but for 30#, the G2 is more than enough drag, will save you a $100 and is also a little easier to work on. My two cents, your mileage may very. Good luck

Pete1979 and Cubeye like this.