2 Solid Guys Looking to Join Your Crew

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Me and my good buddy are looking to fish offshore with you and your crew if you have room. I posted the below in the Boat Ho (rideshare) list but also wanted to drop a thread here in case you dont normally read that thread.

If you are looking for a couple of friendly, experienced, hard fishing/working, honest, and reliable guys that wont forget their wallets at home, please let me know. You wont regret it.

Hello Fellas,

This is the second time that I am posting on the boat ho list. I know this is going to be a longer read than most posts in this forum, but there is so much more to know about someone you are considering bringing on your sled than name, age, location, etc…

A few years back I posted on here and within one day I received two calls. One was from @Benny Mora and the other was from Big Tom… I have been fishing with these guys quite often for the last few years and I have come to consider them very good friends. Benny had a 20’ Triton center console that was completely reliable and a fish killing machine. I fished with Benny from as far north as Catalina and offshore as far south as the 425 and nearly all spots in between. We often were looking for a 3rd guy and picked up a couple of solid fisherman from this list that we still fish with today (See references below). Unfortunately for me, Benny had to sell his boat to focus on purchasing a home and even though I am going to miss his sled, I am really happy that he is going to become a homeowner. Here is the post of the Triton for sale. https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/2006-triton-195cc.712729/ So now you know why I am back on the boat ho list, but this time… I am posting for two hard fishing and hard-working guys (myself and Benny).

First… You should know that we both have great attitudes, we are honest and trustworthy, love to laugh and joke around when the time is right. We have realistic expectations and know fishing is fishing and sometimes we get to catch. We know our way around a boat, have all the gear we will need, and pack light because room (no clutter) is everything when you are bent on a big one. Although we will likely have to learn your routines and preferences, we know and practice all of the fishing etiquette with treating your boat like it is ours kept on our minds at all times. This list could go on and on, but here are a few of the basics.

We show up on time (early). We bring ice, drinks, lunch, cash and any extra gear you ask us to (Trolling rods, kite set up, balloons, gyro binoculars, frozen squid, skin diving gear with spear for those finicky paddy Do-Dos, we even have a toilet if you don’t). We don’t get seasick and if it does happen (happens to the best sometimes), we are going to man up and deal with the hurtin’ until we are done fishing. We clean while we fish, don’t litter, pick up trash and balloons when we can, know how to make macks, don’t let sinkers roll or bounce on your boat, wear non-marking soles, don’t leave the bait net in the tank, chum/chunk consistently, look for life (birds, boils, porpoises, etc), keep an eye on the rods (no swinging jigs) while underway, careful to keep braid away from your prop, clear rods when we are bent, know how to gaff a headshot, can fillet with the best, take really good care of our catch (bleed, gut, ice). We both know how to tie a ton of knots and will rig up your rods how you want them to be rigged up with the knots you prefer. We both know how to connect and disconnect a trailer, launch a boat and safely park a trailer. I take pics of the parked truck/trailer before we go back to the dock and jump on just to make sure you know I did it right parking inside the lines and leaving an easy exit (when possible). We both are really serious about safety (avoid risky situations), I have my CA Boaters Card, and I am CPR certified but hope never to have to use it. We look for our own fish and follow the fishing regs to the letter. We pay our fair share without being asked and do not skimp when it comes to cleaning your boat and flushing the motor no matter how late it is or how tired we all are. Again, we treat your boat as if it were ours.

Benny and I have paid a lot of dues and learned a lot over the last two years and I feel that we have a lot to offer as far as trip planning, safety, trouble shooting. We always shared the catch on Benny’s boat because that seems to assist in the team effort to catch fish rather than focusing on catching your fish instead of helping your partner put his fish on ice. If there are any skippers that are new to offshore fishing, we will share our hard earned lessons and best practices with you. We are familiar with Mission Bay and San Diego Bay as well as the harbors up to Long Beach and San Pedro. We both have passports and fishing Mexico is no issue. I speak enough Spanish to get out of trouble but Benny is fluent in case we need to have a real conversation with the Mexican Navy (never had to but good to have if needed). I look forward to hearing from you and feel very confident that when you fish with us once, we will be your first call the next time.

Names: Chris Lindsey and Benny Mora
Location: We live in Corona, but will drive north to San Pedro and south to San Diego.
Availability: Saturdays but we both plan on taking time off during the week (Friday/Monday) to fish this summer and fall. I like to fish every other week or so in the summer/fall.
Contact Info: Chris (562) 233-7350 – Text is best but if you call, I will call you back.
Smoke/Drink?: Don’t smoke, drink rarely (We don’t get drunk ever), but don’t mind if you drink or smoke (but if you get hammered, that will likely be our last trip) Just too risky to be hammered on the water.
References: Hismosa, Tmitch760, smitty619vt, reel Therapy, 99phishing
Experience: Lots – Inshore and Offshore – I post a lot on BD, so feel free to search “SaltH20Angler” posts for more info.

Fishing Reports: https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/10-14-–-9-mile-bank-302-area.701844/#post-4709706

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/08-18-–-la-jolla-n9-s-of-the-209-–-big-dodo.697348/

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/8-4-–-a-couple-of-dodos-and-a-small-yellowfin-302-371.695981/

Last edited:

MightyMach

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
Nice post. I’m in riverside, norco area. Boat is currently at chino airport where it has undergone a repower and been rewired. It’s getting close to being done. I’m slipped at sea world, mission bay.

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
We are interested in going out offshore this Saturday (7/27) preferably launch from SD.

If you are looking for 2 experienced guys, PM me.

Bump!

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Cheater!....lol. Good group of guys. Sometimes they catch fish too.
What's up TJ!! It's not cheating when the Skipper knows about the other boat. Haha!

Had a great day with Big Tom last Saturday and might reach out to fish inshore with him if the offshore action doesnt line up. I know he is not really into the offshore scene.

My sister was in town from Ohio and he took us out to LJ. No YT action, but he made sure my sis got bit. She caught a big Mack, keeper Calico, Sculpin, and nice Spottie (all released). Made for great memories. So fortunate and grateful to have met you and your Pops man.

You have been so busy with work and family lately, but when you are not...just let me know and we will have to wet a line. Looks like the the Coronados are not the only place where the YT are biting local to you man. Let me know when you are free on an upcoming Saturday and maybe we can get out with Big Tom.

I showed her the must know trick of holding the fish closer to the camera.

20190713_121319.jpg

20190713_114317.jpg

Reactions: tmitch760

tmitch760

Aug 6, 2008
Santee
Name
T.J.
Boat
Triumph 21 cc
Awesome, bro.. Unfortunately, my only day to fish is Sundays. Kids and work keeping me too busy. Thinking about taking a sick day one of these Thursdays. Could you make that work?

Reactions: SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Awesome, bro.. Unfortunately, my only day to fish is Sundays. Kids and work keeping me too busy. Thinking about taking a sick day one of these Thursdays. Could you make that work?
Inshore yes, but prolly not for offshore (offshore usually kicks my ass so hard, I need a day to recover). Let me know.

Reactions: tmitch760

Scottinline1

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 17, 2018
Orange County
Name
Scottinline1
Boat
World Cat 270EC
Inshore yes, but prolly not for offshore (offshore usually kicks my ass so hard, I need a day to recover). Let me know.
Hey Chris
If you guys are up for going out this Sunday. My fishing buddy is out of town and I want to go over to Catalina. I have a 2008 Worldcat 270ec so it doesn’t beat the hell out of you. I used to take 2 days to recover when I had my 24ft CC. Broke my back 10 years ago and never been the same.
I usually launch out of Newport or Huntington Beach. Dana Point Launch ramp is a mess I read.
I live in Orange right off the 55. I think you live in Corona?
Let me know
Scott

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Hey Chris
If you guys are up for going out this Sunday. My fishing buddy is out of town and I want to go over to Catalina. I have a 2008 Worldcat 270ec so it doesn’t beat the hell out of you. I used to take 2 days to recover when I had my 24ft CC. Broke my back 10 years ago and never been the same.
I usually launch out of Newport or Huntington Beach. Dana Point Launch ramp is a mess I read.
I live in Orange right off the 55. I think you live in Corona?
Let me know
Scott
Pm sent

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Want to send a big thank you to the skippers who we have recently fished with from this thread. You know who you are. :D

Also, Benny and I are looking for some offshore action this Saturday (9/21) or next Saturday (9/28). Hit me up if you need two guys.

Buuuuump!

IMG_05831.jpg

20190913_112402.gif

reel therapy

21 Triumph CC
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego ca. us
Name
thomas
Boat
21' CC Love Them Triumphs!
Hey Christopher you cheating hoe!! LOL
Hey Bloodydeckers, you would be very fortunate to take these two guys out on your boat! These two guys are very worthy on your boat or any fishing trip! They know the drill and are very experienced and enthusiastic fisherman!! I have a great boat and I'm taking both of these gentlemen out, but I've experienced a little bit of medical problems as of late. Short runs from San Diego to La Jolla or, Bay runs are all I'm doing right now, and with these guys being from Corona, and me being from San Diego, that's just a bit too much driving for a 5 Hour fishing trip, until I get better....
And hey Christopher no more cheating after I get well!!

Reactions: SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Hey Christopher you cheating hoe!! LOL
Hey Bloodydeckers, you would be very fortunate to take these two guys out on your boat! These two guys are very worthy on your boat or any fishing trip! They know the drill and are very experienced and enthusiastic fisherman!! I have a great boat and I'm taking both of these gentlemen out, but I've experienced a little bit of medical problems as of late. Short runs from San Diego to La Jolla or, Bay runs are all I'm doing right now, and with these guys being from Corona, and me being from San Diego, that's just a bit too much driving for a 5 Hour fishing trip, until I get better....
And hey Christopher no more cheating after I get well!!
Thanks for the endorsement buddy. Had a lot of fun last time we got out, and what about that tripple garage door sized kelp paddy we found on the S. 9. That thing was huge...I knew we were gonna bent.

Baffling that the only thing we picked up off it was a ray...on a flylined dean on the surface at that. I thought my buddy was pullin my leg when he said it was a pelagic ray, but I googled it and yup there is such a thing.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/discover-fish/species-profiles/pteroplatytrygon-violacea/

Genuinely appreciate your kind words and we'll fish soon for sure. Besides...it seems I gotta be on your boat to catch good grade yellowtail anyways. o_O

Reactions: reel therapy

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Right now I can only do Saturdays Tom. Thank you so much for the offer, I really appreciate it. Good luck out there man.

Got a few responses from this last bump of this thread. Looks like we have a trip lined up next saturday (weather permitting).

Today, I have a special little skin diving trip planned with my 15 year old daughter. Probably going to Crystal Cove State Beach to swim the kelp forest and bringing a couple of spears (1 small rifle and 1 Hawaiian Sling) just in case we come across something really nice. I've got enough tuna in the freezer so no need to pick off the smaller game fish right now. Gonna bring a couple of trasbags to fill up on this Coastal Cleanup day too.

Other than that just gonna enjoy a day at the beach with my favorite (and only) daughter.

Last edited:

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
No problem, the weather looks really tomorrow !!

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
With things seemingly getting better COVID-wise, I'm gonna bump this thread up to see if you have any interest for 2 solid guys. All set up and ready to go...

For those concerned about COVID-19, we are happy to wear face masks (fishing buffs) and respect personal space as much as possible (ride outside cabin *weather permitting, use our own pliers, wash hands frequently, dont be handsy all over things, etc.).

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Want to thank everyone who has contacted me recently, but want to also update this thread to share it looks like Benny and I found a good match with @Scottinline1

After chatting via text/phone a bit, we locked in a trip to Catalina a couple of weeks ago. Was nice to meet him, we had a fun day, got along great, and are preparing to give the BFT a run this weekend.

I have a feeling we are going to be fishing a lot this season with Scott, so Benny and I might not have much availability. If that changes (I hope it doesnt), I'll bump this post again.

So much thanks, grattitude, and appreciation to all that have reached out!! Stay safe out there guys and Tight Lines.

:jig:

Reactions: blowncar and Tom123