Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Just got my new Jigging World Black Widow Popping Rod (woohoo!).

I read somewhere that I might want to "wax" or put something on the bottom part of the rod where it sticks into the handle. The point is to prevent it from permanently sticking to the handle and effectively becoming a 1 piece rod.

Anyone heard of this? And what would I use?

Thanks for any help.

Explorer1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
I heard that from a FlyFishing store about candle wax will make them stay on better (not sure how true).....they also mentioned putting the two piece after waxing 90degree off the alignment and twist/push to the Correct position.
Thought they were joking with me....maybe some truth to it:)

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Day0ne

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Oddly enough, rubbing the side of your nose and putting it on the rod helps. I've used lip balm, Vaseline, and various waxes with success. Another thing, don't cram the rod ends together. A gentle push will help. The other thing is to drill a small hole in the center of the gimble. This will stop a vacuum from forming between the two pieces. I believe this helps the most.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Oddly enough, rubbing the side of your nose and putting it on the rod helps. I've used lip balm, Vaseline, and various waxes with success. Another thing, don't cram the rod ends together. A gentle push will help. The other thing is to drill a small hole in the center of the gimble. This will stop a vacuum from forming between the two pieces. I believe this helps the most.
I asked the same thing when I bought my first ones. Pretty much same as has already been said, here's some extra: https://www.360tuna.com/threads/lubricants-on-two-piece-rods.23812/
Thanks guys! WTF about the nose thing. That's like how to get beer suds down too. LOL

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Thanks guys! WTF about the nose thing. That's like how to get beer suds down too. LOL
I use it all the time for all my two piece rods. That practice has been going on for a long time. It's simple, always available, and you know exactly where it is at all times.

All of my rods are one piece, so I see no reason to break down my popping rod into two pieces every time I pack it. I just bundle it up with my other rods.

I don't travel, so there's no reason to break it down.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

njoyflyfishing

Well-Known "Member"
May 3, 2016
Diamond Bar, CA
Name
Nathan
Boat
16' Slideright
Paraffin is typically what you want to use on your rod ferrules. The reason you want to lubricate the ferrules is that rod sections can get stuck making it difficult to unseat and break down the rod. If a ferrule gets stuck, folks can get frustrated and break the rod as unseating the ferrule requires a very straight pull as any bend at the ferrule will further bind the rod sections. If someone finds their ferrules stuck, a straight pull with either specific grips on the rod sections that help with a straight pull or with two people can unseat it.

Also, with multi piece rods be sure that when you use it the ferrules are all seated. An unseated ferrule will make a key area for failure while casting or when the rod has a bend. I have blown up rods before at the ferrule when casting.

On longer heavier fly fishing rods, a section can tend to come unseated during casting. If you have one doing this, a piece of duck tape or similar at the ferrule usually solves the issue.

I don't have the rod you have, but I do have one of the cruz popping rods. I will put some paraffin on it and seat it as mentioned above, starting with the rod offset a bit with a small twist at the end to align the rod correctly when seated. I haven't used mine, but I will keep an eye on it to make sure that it stays seated after using it for awhile. I looked at the ferrule on my rod, and it looks pretty robust, and I doubt that there will be too many problems with it or that it will unseat easily. Normally on a multi piece rod where the sections join, the ferrule will be on the section towards the tip, but these with these types of rods it is in the handle portion of the rod, and I would expect less prone to failure.