MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Anyone thinking about installing a 2-meter radio (which I am) may be interested to know that ICOM is about to release a really great 2-meter radio -- Icom 705. This covid thing has slowed down the release, but it sounds like it will be available by the end of July. Not sure of the price, but I bet it won't be cheap. On the other hand, it is only 10 watts, and the high frequency version of that radio (Icom 7300, 2 to 30 MHz), which puts out 100 watts, is less than $1,000, so the price probably won't be a whole lot more than a good VHF. Does anyone recommend a different 2-meter radio?

Mike_I

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
A marine vhf is a 2 meter radio, are you referring to a 2 meter radio on the ham band? Do you know if there's much marine radio traffic on the ham band? And the ICOM 7300 is low frequency not high.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
Most Ham 2 meter radio's You can get all the VHF channels but cannot transmit. there is a modification that's need to be done inside of it.
I bought from Ham Outlet in San Diego , mine is 75 watts..Had it mine for years... and they now what the mod is too..

Reactions: MYNomad

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Since there are several local open repeaters that cover a lot of the local offshore area are boater's using a common simplex frequency?

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
A marine vhf is a 2 meter radio, are you referring to a 2 meter radio on the ham band? Do you know if there's much marine radio traffic on the ham band? And the ICOM 7300 is low frequency not high.
2 meters does begin at 144Mhz, and is "very high frequency" (ie, VHF), but conventionally it is referred to as 2 meters to distinguish from marine bands and from the lower frequency ham bands (2-30 Mhz), which are referred to as "high frequency", and from ultra high freqencies (UHF) like 70 cm / 420 MHz. Besides marine vhf, there are other frequencies in the 2 meter band, including FRS, for which no license is required (though its use requires a highly restricted radio -- no removable antenna, no frequencies besides FRS, very low power). But yes, this is basically a ham radio, though it can transmit on none-ham frequencies.

As I understand it, many code groups use 2-meter for their communications, but that would not be my main purpose. Using repeaters, I would be able to stay in touch with my family on shore, even when out of cell range.

Reactions: gecsr1

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Get an ICOM 2 meter. They are not water resistant, so they need to be installed in a dry place. You will need a 2 meter compatible antennae, else you will burn up your existing vhf antennae. You need to pull a diode to expand the frequency range; there are instructions all over the internet. Finally, code groups select one or two frequencies and program them for their use.

On a good day, I could carry a conversation from Italian Gardens at Catalina to boats in slips at Dana Point.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Get an ICOM 2 meter. They are not water resistant, so they need to be installed in a dry place. You will need a 2 meter compatible antennae, else you will burn up your existing vhf antennae. You need to pull a diode to expand the frequency range; there are instructions all over the internet. Finally, code groups select one or two frequencies and program them for their use.

On a good day, I could carry a conversation from Italian Gardens at Catalina to boats in slips at Dana Point.
That is what I want to do. The big question in my mind is which radio, even among Icom. I am thinking the 705 may be the way to go.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
That is what I want to do. The big question in my mind is which radio, even among Icom. I am thinking the 705 may be the way to go.
I thought you would have done this by now!

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Been through many icom's... The best one I've had yet is the Kenwood TM-281A. It was recommended to me because I kept toasting the icom's and having to replace the mic's.
The Kenwood is the one that they use in the Baja races.

The mod is out there and it's super easy... We keep changing boats so much we got lazy with installing 2 meters and just use Iridium Go now.
They are nice to talk over everyone on 72 when it gets stupid :).

rxm

Jul 18, 2009
El Cajon
Name
Erik
Boat
26ft. Blackman Billfisher
We actually use a Kenwood TK-7360 for racing. The TM is a good radio and can be programmed without software unlike the TK.

Reactions: Jason

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
mine is a Kenwood as well, model. TM-271. it was easy to program...

Last edited:

A^4

><(((°>
Aug 13, 2017
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Alex
Boat
Parker 1801(sold 2017), Parker 2310(since 2018)
I use a Kenwood TM-V71A on my boat. Right price, excellent quality. Use that Catalina repeater a lot when I'm out there.

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Are you referring to the AA6DP 147.09 repeater? The N6NHP 146.025 repeater in San Clemente covers a large area offshore too. It's located on the hill above San Clemente Pier.

I use a Kenwood TM-V71A on my boat. Right price, excellent quality. Use that Catalina repeater a lot when I'm out there.

A^4

><(((°>
Aug 13, 2017
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Alex
Boat
Are you referring to the AA6DP 147.09 repeater? The N6NHP 146.025 repeater in San Clemente covers a large area offshore too. It's located on the hill above San Clemente Pier.
Yessir I was. I'll put that San Clemente one in there as well. I generally just use my ham for talking to my family in different parts of San Diego while I'm up fishing / boat camping around the islands. Is there any fishing chatter on that San Clemente repeater?

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
I don't know if there's chatter on the SC repeater, I usally don't think of bringing my HT on the boat. The couple of guys I used to talk to on the ham band died so I'm not really active much. Question since both you and the OP mention you communicate with family. Are they hams too or is there an autopatch on the repeaters, I assume they went away as the marine operators did.

Yessir I was. I'll put that San Clemente one in there as well. I generally just use my ham for talking to my family in different parts of San Diego while I'm up fishing / boat camping around the islands. Is there any fishing chatter on that San Clemente repeater?
[/QUOTE]

A^4

><(((°>
Aug 13, 2017
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Alex
Boat
I don't know if there's chatter on the SC repeater, I usally don't think of bringing my HT on the boat. The couple of guys I used to talk to on the ham band died so I'm not really active much. Question since both you and the OP mention you communicate with family. Are they hams too or is there an autopatch on the repeaters, I assume they went away as the marine operators did.
[/QUOTE]

My dad has been operating ham for as long as I can remember. He never did on the different family boats growing up but always in the car. My brother and I got licensed a few years back because we thought it would be a good thing to do with our dad who's now 81. I put that kenwood on the boat. It came out really slick. I really wouldn't mind using it for more than just talking to family. What frequency do you monitor on the water, that San Clemente one?

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
THIS.....

Been through many icom's... The best one I've had yet is the Kenwood TM-281A. It was recommended to me because I kept toasting the icom's and having to replace the mic's.
The Kenwood is the one that they use in the Baja races.

The mod is out there and it's super easy... We keep changing boats so much we got lazy with installing 2 meters and just use Iridium Go now.
They are nice to talk over everyone on 72 when it gets stupid :).

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
When the sport boats were running they had diff freq they used.Local boats-cat boats had a channel,I think the Newport Dana had theirs.I NEVER talk on them,only listen.The marlin guys have their own,they move around more than others.Tom

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Considering your dad's age I assume he's also of the generation of ham that actually built and experimented with the old radio equipment. I've had both my ham and commercial FCC license since the late 70's. As I said I'm not that active and haven't had my HT on the boat in years. Now that this thread got me thinking about this again maybe I'll bring my radio on the boat next time I go out, hopefully sometime next week.

My dad has been operating ham for as long as I can remember. He never did on the different family boats growing up but always in the car. My brother and I got licensed a few years back because we thought it would be a good thing to do with our dad who's now 81. I put that kenwood on the boat. It came out really slick. I really wouldn't mind using it for more than just talking to family. What frequency do you monitor on the water, that San Clemente one?
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: A^4

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
I had the ICOM 2300 on my Henriques. I had the head set in the lower helm and ran a 40 foot mic extension and a speaker wire to the tower. When I was in the tower, which was 95% of the day, I plugged the mic extension and speaker in and had the use in the tower. You want to expand the channels.