JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
"007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
Headed out at 0600 Monday with Calvin and Freddy, stopped by the bait bouy no love:imdumb:once again. Set up the Ono spread headed up the ledge no luck turned out to the J say some nice bird piles and picked up 2 AKU on a 4" pink tube lure Freddy brought along. Moved off to the X along the 1000 fathom line and picked up a lone Mahi on a 7" pearl head with salmon skirt. Got to the X as the last charter boat was headed in; plenty of birds working and Aku and Shibi busting bait (mini shrimp). Set out the cedar plugs and picked up 6 Shibi and 2 more Aku:). The fish were digging the 3 plug chain in prpl/blk colors. One the way home along the ledge had a nice knockdown on a Islander/ballyhoo took the hoo off right behind the hook. Headed in; got the boat and fish cleaned up before the lightning and rain hit. No pics as my crew had put the knives to the fish while I was getting the trailer.

v/r Joe

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Joe and crew,

Good goin on the fish in the box. Though I am a firm believer in the Dark Moon bite; it certainly hasn't been red hot for this phase. We'll cross pathes somewhere up around the point one of these days.

Just curious how was the ride on your side?

Cheers
Pat

JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
Pat,
Monday was 4-5' not bad at all. Headed up hill early as it was around 3' started getting sloppy around 2. This weekend looks like a big sea and alot of wind which works out as the kids have games all weekend. I'll be keeping an eye out for the big Blackfin. Have you ever tried a downrigger out here? Thinking about running one opelu at 50-100 and the other at the surface.

v/r Joe

JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
Jonny,
Thanks starting to get her dialed in. I just need to dial in my ability to make bait.

v/r Joe

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Pat,
Monday was 4-5' not bad at all. Headed up hill early as it was around 3' started getting sloppy around 2. This weekend looks like a big sea and alot of wind which works out as the kids have games all weekend. I'll be keeping an eye out for the big Blackfin. Have you ever tried a downrigger out here? Thinking about running one opelu at 50-100 and the other at the surface.

v/r Joe
Z-wing and it works; there are 2 models, lighter model built for trolling and a heavier model built for slow troll baiting. I know Chuck drags bait on his downrigger and has good luck. It's just the Onos and the sharks that can be issues with dragging live stuff; I've run a wire leadered stinger hook and done OK catching Onos on bait.

Cheers
Pat

chuck merkel

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Joe, I have had good luck with a down rigger along the ledge and around the buoys. If you get too shallow, the sharks will get you on the ledge. I typically run a short piece (12 inches) of wire (sevenstrand) on the deep bait on the ledge. The wire is short enough that sharks will usually cut off quickly. Hope this helps.

Chuck

JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
Chuck,
Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to trying out a vertical spread. Are you using a z-wing and if so what size 250 or 500? Fishing 50-100'?

v/r Joe

chuck merkel

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Joe,

No z-wing, just a 12 # ball. I troll at idle with the down rigger. I think you can go faster with the z-wing, but it puts a lot of pressure on the downrigger. I find that idle has worked best for me with live bait. I will put it down anywhere from 50 to 100 feet - deeper around the FADs if I am marking fish deeper. Along the ledge I have caught everything from ulua, kahala, kaku, uku, mahimahi, ono, shibi, dog tooth tuna.... Around the FADs I have gotten shibis and mahimahi.

Good luck. The new boat looks great. Hope to see you on the water soon.

Chuck

JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
Chuck,
Thanks again for all the tips. I'll be looking for you when I'm on the westside.

v/r Joe