2-day Pacific Voyager

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by pdiment, Jul 13, 2011.

1. pdiment

pdiment Newbie

Name:
    Phil Diment
    Boat:
    17' Outrage
    Got back from the two-day trip on Pacific Voyager out of Seaforth with my fishing club (www.fibersfishingclub.org). I cannot say enough good things about the captain crew - they turned some tough fishing conditions into a very fun and enjoyable trip.

Monday we were out about 70 miles south of San Diego -- there were a lot of tuna out there -- lots of jumpers in the 80 lb range...but getting them to come to the boat was a major challenge. We would slide in on them quiet and the second we got within casting range they were gone...seconds later we'd see them pop up 1/4 mile away. Lots of bluefin, but the Albacore were a no-show all day -- Mark thinks they are just down deep and have not come up yet - who knows. We did get a few schools of 20 lb class bluefin to stay with the boat but it took a lot of bait. We had 12 on our trip -- I think we only caught 16 bluefin. I was fortunate to bag three of the 16. A real blessing. This was not without help from the the deckhands. I was reeling in my second bluefin and he was pretty hot and taking line when he got to the surface. I noticed a stream of blood coming from under his pectoral fin. Immediately I realized that he was not hooked in the jaw, but instead I had him somehow side hooked...heaven knows how that happened. Captain Mark and deckhamd Matt coached me all the way. We got a gaff in him and there was my hook just barely penetrating the bone near his pectoral fin. I could not give enough high fives to the crew.

Because fishing was so tough the first day and some on our charter had not caught a single fish, we opted to go into the Coronado Islands for day 2. It turned out to be a very wise desision. That night Captain Mark kept his crew up to make squid at 1am in the morning. They kicked on the flood lights on and we soon had a squid float so thick you could almost walk on it. We filled all tanks with squid, caught a few hours a ZZZZ's, and at 5:00 am the next morning we were just south of the TJ Bull Ring on a reefy are with wide open baracudda and big big sand bass. The captain and crew joined us on deck to fish and we had an absolute blast jokeing around and just really scoring big on the bass. The power of live squid!! Then the captain made the smartest decision of the day and made a 1 hour move to the Rockpile area. Wow! we had birds working this high spot and we immediatly saw boiling Yellowtail. PRetty soon we had screaming reels. 25 lb class tanker yellows!! I think we managed about 20 yellows for the day with the biggest that topped 33 lbs. All on flylined squid. There was plenty of calico bass under the Yellowtail. I caught a 23 lb yellowtail.

I highly recommed the Pacific Voyager out of Seaforth landing. Outstanding boat and crew.

ALSO -- thanks to the guys on the BD board who responded to my post a few days ago asking for tips on catching the Bluefin -- it was very helpful. I recommend 20 lb line with flouro leader and the very best swimming bait you can find. YOu have to butt hook the sardines to get them to swim out fast.

I tried the Iron, but no luck. I am sure it can be done, but the best action was on a very strong healthy sardine.

Phil D
    17 Whaler

2. DavidE

DavidE I Love This Game

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    n/a
    Very nice report and gives me hope for this weekends trip. 20# w/ 20# floro is the ticket huh??

3. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Congrats on the fish and thanx for the report.

4. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Well done. Nice to see a decent report in this section.

5. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Thanks for the report. Mark on the PV gets it done. Sounds like a fun day of BFT fishing follwed by a nice inshore day. Congrats on your fish.

6. kshredking

kshredking The King

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    Someday
    Sounds alot like my trip last year around this time. Mark and the PV crew are top notch. I can't wait for my 2.5 day in Oct. on the PV. Good job bagging 3. Gotta luv the WO bass and cudas and throw in some yellows NICE.

7. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Great report. Mark is great. Stands in the back with the old school rod, talking shit, holding class and catching fish.

8. Sherm

Sherm aka: The Sherminator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Yak
    Nice report

9. amnajar

amnajar Raider

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Which ever one will have me...
    X2

10. mowitlow

mowitlow Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    21 ft. Mastercraft
    captain mark and his boys rock!

11. theclayishone

theclayishone theclayishone

Name:
    Clayton
    Boat:
    none
    Definitely sounds like the boat made the best out of a bad situation. Congrats on the tuna and the yellow.

12. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    2 more days and I'll be on that boat....thanks for the report.

13. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Fishin FIN-Attict

Name:
    Mikee
    Boat:
    12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
    Great report Phil, Where are the pics?

Sounds like many of the captains are opting to make a move from the lockjaw fish, can't say as I blame them. 1 to 9 fish for up to 30 passengers make a tough day fishing.

Thanks for the post!!

14. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    yeah........me too and I'm curious to see what we end up doing. There seems to be a couple options.
    I'm taking my 13 year old and after a couple skunkers last year I just want to see him catch fish, hopefully the right kind.

Thanks for the report!

15. jigsaurus

jigsaurus Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    12' plastic cod killer
    I dont think yo can say enough about mark and the pv. Some of my most fond memories of offshore fishing are on his boat. Its awesome you killed it on the sashimi and cudas and bass to match.

16. 1:11

1:11 WMDcustoms

Name:
    Boat:
    way to make the most of the trip and bring home the bacon.

17. Red Tuna

Red Tuna Newbie

Name:
    Austin
    Boat:
    None
    Sounds like a good trip. Congrats on getting 3 tuna...

18. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    A very nice trip Phil. Some good sushimi !!

19. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Thanks for the report; it's encouraging to those who are booked or are thinking about it.

Sounds like a great trip. Glad you were able to make it.