PENN

Findtuna

Nov 23, 2011
OC
Name
James
Boat
1974 Blackman 20'
First time on P Queen for us. Gavin worked hard for us and got us on nice grade yellowtails and the rockfish were a nice addition. Crew were all professional and nothing but +++! Mike cooked up delicious meals and were opened to customized orders. Staterooms were a nice option as well.

Now to fishing. Red jigs worked real good in am. Late afternoon bite, the yellowtails were less selective. Red was by far the most popular tho. Unlike the earlier posts, color did seemed to matter in my observation.

On the contrary to popular belief, my buddy was fishing his Avet MXL on a low gear the whole time and caught 3 nice homeguard yellowtails. Go figure. Never once he used the higher gear. So does the speed matter? On the other hand, I cranked my Avet JX on the high gear all day and caught one yt one hr before sunset on a red jig as well. Thank you God! Lol.

Most yellowtails were probably 15-25 lbs. I fished with a 40lb set up with tight drag. It was a great trip with easy going guys. Can't ask for more. Will be returning to Pacific Queen in the near future.

20190209_172144.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Homeguard is being used to describe TY over #20.

Start calling Mossback for those over #30?

I'd say that's deficient. Let's step it up #10 for both to the way it has always been.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    First time on P Queen for us. Gavin worked
    On the contrary to popular belief, my buddy was fishing his Avet MXL on a low gear the whole time and caught 3 nice homeguard yellowtails. Go figure. Never once he used the higher gear. So does the speed matter?
    View attachment 1000009

On more than one occasion, especially in early season, I’ve found the “slow-yo” method to work better than burning it. Not sure I’d start in low, though!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    First time on P Queen for us. Gavin worked hard for us and got us on nice grade yellowtails and the rockfish were a nice addition. Crew were all professional and nothing but +++! Mike cooked up delicious meals and were opened to customized orders. Staterooms were a nice option as well.

Now to fishing. Red jigs worked real good in am. Late afternoon bite, the yellowtails were less selective. Red was by far the most popular tho. Unlike the earlier posts, color did seemed to matter in my observation.

On the contrary to popular belief, my buddy was fishing his Avet MXL on a low gear the whole time and caught 3 nice homeguard yellowtails. Go figure. Never once he used the higher gear. So does the speed matter? On the other hand, I cranked my Avet JX on the high gear all day and caught one yt one hr before sunset on a red jig as well. Thank you God! Lol.

Most yellowtails were probably 15-25 lbs. I fished with a 40lb set up with tight drag. It was a great trip with easy going guys. Can't ask for more. Will be returning to Pacific Queen in the near future.

View attachment 1000009
    James, how heavy of a sinker did you use to stay
    on the bottom for the Cod?

Upvote 0

ElFuego

Jul 21, 2015
    Name
    Armand
    Boat
    none

View attachment 1000009

Interesting your friend did so well on the low gear. I was on this trip as well and got 4 but I was reeling as fast as possible for the first half of the water column. Mine were all on the red but the guy next to me got 3 on scrambled egg and 1 on blue/white. The thing that seemed to be most important to me is keeping the jig as vertical as possible when winding it in. Glad to hear you got one right at the end!

Upvote 0

carterantebi

I hate fishing
    Oct 9, 2016
    Coronado
    Name
    Carter
    Boat
    Grande!
    Interesting your friend did so well on the low gear. I was on this trip as well and got 4 but I was reeling as fast as possible for the first half of the water column. Mine were all on the red but the guy next to me got 3 on scrambled egg and 1 on blue/white. The thing that seemed to be most important to me is keeping the jig as vertical as possible when winding it in. Glad to hear you got one right at the end!
    I find that kinda interesting too. All my fish came on a red 7x winding like hell within 30ft of the bottom. Keeping it vertical was definitely the key to success. Pitching off the downwind corner seemed to help a little with that.

Thanks for coming out btw! Fun sharing the rail with ya!

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Good fishing guys!

The pics would be goo too if Ezekiel kept his ugly ass out of them LOL

Reactions: carterantebi
    Upvote 0

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
    Jan 20, 2011
    San Diego
    Name
    5-20
    Boat
    L2 Fish
    How much time did you guys spend fishing for YT before you moved over to the rockfish spots? Were you also catching some YT while targeting rockfish?

Upvote 0

Findtuna

Nov 23, 2011
    OC
    Name
    James
    Boat
    1974 Blackman 20'
    How much time did you guys spend fishing for YT before you moved over to the rockfish spots? Were you also catching some YT while targeting rockfish?

Capt Gavin's priority were yellowtails. Rockfish was just a bonus imo. I think that's why PQ's counts were much better than other boats that were literally fishing from a swim distance from us. We were moving and searching constantly for yellowtails. Yes PQ/Gavin had it dialed in.

Upvote 0