2/6 Santa Monica Bay

sasabune

Jan 5, 2009
LA
Name
David
Boat
20 Ft Dory
Went out of mdr and hit up the reef by Santa Monica pier. Caught a couple of sand bass using squid on a leadhead before the sheriff vane for being inside the bouys surrounding the reef. I don't recall seeing these buoys a couple years ago. Then tried a couple stones in 75 to 80ft of water and found a school of suspended calico. Must have caught 15 calicos in the 11 to 13 inch size and a pair of sheaphead between 3 guys. My friend used a 1 oz sliding a sinker with squid and out fished me with the leadhead and squid. Also test tried my Ikea sponsored drift chute that worked ok. Might need to make another to be more effective. Then went deeper to 150ft of water to find sculpin but just got a bunch of dabs. All fish we're released except some dabs.

20210206_115655_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Are you referring to the old breakwall outside the pier?

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    They have been there for years. Sometimes when they are bored and need to burn fuel they kick you out IMO AND FROM EXPERIENCES. Most of the time they don't bother you. Perhaps they lost on the Super Bowl so they came to work with an attitude. JK Fish and Game with them? They usually ride with them.

• Haha
    Reactions: Tugboat64
    Upvote 0

sasabune

Jan 5, 2009
    LA
    Name
    David
    Boat
    20 Ft Dory
    They have been there for years. Sometimes when they are bored and need to burn fuel they kick you out IMO AND FROM EXPERIENCES. Most of the time they don't bother you. Perhaps they lost on the Super Bowl so they came to work with an attitude. JK Fish and Game with them? They usually ride with them.
    No F&G. They just told us to move back outside of the buoys. I saw another boat there when I got to the area and ive seen youtube videos of people fishing that area ago I thought it was legal.

Upvote 0
    Aug 21, 2020
    Burbank, California
    Name
    Harry karaoglanian
    Boat
    Tiara 3900 open
    I’ve had sheriff and lifeguard come out and say I was too close to shore. Always outside of the buoys. Caught major fish there, never risked going inside the buoys though, Low tide can be dangerous. What is the drift sock for? Why not anchor and chum..?

Upvote 0

sasabune

Jan 5, 2009
    LA
    Name
    David
    Boat
    20 Ft Dory
    I’ve had sheriff and lifeguard come out and say I was too close to shore. Always outside of the buoys. Caught major fish there, never risked going inside the buoys though, Low tide can be dangerous. What is the drift sock for? Why not anchor and chum..?
    I haven't anchored too much and forgot how long my rope was. I checked after my trip and its around 120 ft. I was in 80 to 90 ft but the rope didnt seem that long on the boat.

Upvote 0