Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
2/6. Fished my sled with my neighbor. The plan was to do a big loop from Izor’s to the west shoe and back but the fog was thichernshit so we opted to hit spots south towards Newport and do some mapping of the ARs down there. Fishing was slow as there was no current to speak of. We got like 15 bass near Izor’s and only 3 down south. We saw Rich (Taxfree) out there. Insults were exchanged and we went on our way.

I made some maps of the HBARs (A,B,C,D) and Newport AR which will help in future trips as my structure scan is more detailed than the Navionics chart with relief shading IN THAT AREA. Couple things I learned making the maps: the rockpiles in the HBARs aren’t where the published numbers say they are (what’s new) and the Newport AR is made up of long, stringy things (light poles?) like Izor’s.

2/8. An accomplished bud fished all around the Long Beach area for maybe 15 fish all day which is a terrible day for him.

2/9. I fished with Dr Bob on a club Thresher 25. We had great (but cold!) weather and terrible fishing. We got a quick 3 bass at our first stop, but that was it. That big ass tide swing generated no current and we bagged it at noon. We metered fish, but they weren’t interested in our offerings. Bob did catch a wrasse on a jig. You don’t see that every day.

Sorry to sound so gloom and doom. All we need are good conditions (read: current) and the bite can turn on. We caught over a hundred bass just a couple trips ago.

Anyways, February is looking like a maintenance and 1 KW transducer install month. I’m seriously considering getting a new 5.2k torsion axle with new brakes and 5-year warranty on the hubs. This (along with new tires) should set me up for trouble-free SD trailering next tuna season.

Edit: I did the first service on a bought-new Curado 300EJ and when I popped the side plate off, there was no anti reverse pawl. WTH Shimano? Luckily, I stock those things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ed Y

Sep 19, 2003
Huntington Beach
Name
Ed
Boat
BW Montauk 170
Yeah.. the fog was bad on the 6th... I sat around waiting for the fog to clear around in the narrow band of clear right by the wall and finally gave up and headed back in.

Nice job getting out there and at least giving it a shot, might consider Cat. I hear that the bones are biting there on and off.

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Yeah.. the fog was bad on the 6th... I sat around waiting for the fog to clear around in the narrow band of clear right by the wall and finally gave up and headed back in.

We were at Izor’s. The fog was bad but not horrible. We headed west and the fog got worse. We have AIS (love it!) but not radar, so we turned around and went towards Newport wanting to avoid the shipping and all those fog horns. One thing we saw on AIS was one of the Catalina boats going through the thick of it at 27 mph. Really?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Great you got out .
    Conditions are dealt to us and sometimes the cards just don't play/pay out.
    But you were in the game.
    That is reel cool at least. 👍 👍

Reactions: niceeeee
    Upvote 0

LEC

Almost A Member
    Dec 15, 2005
    Garden Grove Ca.
    Name
    Larry Crownover
    Boat
    20 ft. Invader LC
    Hey Kurt, thanks for the report. Going to give it a shot tomorrow. Last week we loaded up on Nachos squid and fished the west end of the shoe for about 30 mixed bass, a few sculpin, assorted rockfish, and a couple nice sheepshead. Your plastics actually out fished the squid!

Reactions: Kman
    Upvote 0

shinbob

Almost A Member
    Oct 31, 2011
    Pasadena
    Name
    Shin
    Boat
    Triton 240 LTS
    One thing we saw on AIS was one of the Catalina boats going through the thick of it at 27 mph. Really?

That's why I bought a bunch of radar reflectors recently. Boats are out there zooming around in the fog, and they're flying completely IFR - by radar and by AIS (which most of us don't have transceivers for).

Reactions: Kman
    Upvote 0

TAXFREE

Mar 14, 2003
    Downey, CA
    Visit site
    Name
    Richard Gleason
    Boat
    1998 Parker 21 SE CC
    Great to see you out there on the 6th, Kurt,
    My twin brothers son, Rob Jr. and his 2 young sons had a great time on Sandbass and Sculpin in deeper water off of Huntington beach.
    25 of each. kept some for fish tacos.
    Ocean was grease and wind was non existent most of the day.
    I went again Monday with my regular fishing buddy Richard and the SHOE was dead.
    Gonna give it a weeks rest and then hit it hard.

See Ya.....Rich on TAXFREE

Reactions: Kman and shinbob
    Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Good effort Kurt, bummer on the results. At least no one can complain that your reports are right on. Timing seems to be everything, and conditions are always the key to success or failure. Lal and I have had more bad trips lately than good, not a good start to this year! Hoping for better? Know you will find them and catch them

Upvote 0