Dexter Outdoors

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Hey guys I booked a 2.5 day trip out of oxnard fishing the channel islands june 26th. I talked to the boat and was given some very vague tackle recommendations I guess we are targeting whatever is on the bottom hopefully sea bass and halibut but probably alot of whitefish and lings mixed in.

So what tackle and rods should I bring the captain said we will mainly be fishing live squid. I am from northern ca and haven't ever fished with live squid or caught sea bass. Should I bring any lures? Thanks for the help in advance guys.

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
Your probably going to fish for both seabass/halibut AND rockfish, at different locations across the northern channel islands.
You won't need many setups for this type of fishing. I could recommend the following, with a lot of room for different brands:

1)20-25lb setup, avet SX w/ a 800L- fish the live squid up on the kelp beds, for calicos, whitefish, sheephead, etc
2) 30lb setup, avet MXL w/ 700l or 800m, can use for both seabass/halibut and for rockfish, either sliding sinker squid OR dropper loop.
3) 40lb setup, avet JX on 700m, can use for deeper water rockfishing, and for the bigger seabass, if you come across them.

Thats more than enough for your trip, however, an avet mxl 30lb setup on a 700m can cover mostly everything your going to get into.

Bring sliding sinkers, from 1/2 ounce to 2 ounce
Torpedo sinkers, assorted from 4oz to 16 ounce
2/0 and 6/0 hooks.
Thats it!
Good Luck,
-Aren

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
San Diego Long Range Fishing?

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
You're going to need the following:

15-20lbs mono rig. This is going to be for calicos and what ever is in the kelp beds. Have some small egg sinkers to get the bait down. Some swim bait stuff.

30lbs to 40lbs rig for live/dead squid rig for WSB and YT. This is mono mostly.

40 to 50lbs spectra rig for rock fishing. All spectra with a short top shot of 3 foot mono for rock fishing.

sierraed

Long rods and big boats
Oct 10, 2011
Ventura, CA
Name
Ed
Boat
Royal Polaris and Intrepid
You may want to give Eric's Tackle shop in Ventura a call. Eric's will dial you into some of the specific jigs, swim baits, sinkers, and hook sizes you will need. If you drop by the store there are usually some helpful customers and crew members who fish the Channel Islands on a daily/weekly basis. Hope your trip is a good one!

Ed
Ventura, CA

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Anthony Hicks
Boat
Good Deal
Bring big hooks for the squid. Long shank 6/0 work great. Also pick up a white jig with a big siwash hook. Remember most landings have all this tackle so call them and ask.

Tom Jr.

Retired Crane Operator Local 12
Aug 1, 2009
Riverside,Ca.
Name
Tom Jr.
Boat
yes
don't forget the balloons for white sea bass and mustad shrimp jigs in red/white and blue/white I use mustad because the hooks are sharp and they catch most of what bites on the bottom good luck and most of all enjoy your trip.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
WSB: Leave the white jigs in the tackle box unless you enjoy catching batrays at the northern channel islands. stick with the local live bait action
YT: traditional irons work - if they are around. local live bait here, too
RF: double dropper with 5/0 circle hooks. 10' of 30# mono, swivel, 65#+ braid/spectra. jigs work for RF & lings if you need the exercise.

Reactions: hdz805

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
The trip you are booked on is a 2 day, not a 2 1/2 day trip. The Constitution is a new boat to the Channel Islands fleet and owned by the Volaski family. They worked on it for the last half of last season. So far it has only been used for whale watching. It looks to me that rod storage might be an issue but we will see.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Get over it dude if your not going to help don't post. Aren, thank you for the help just what I want needed to know.

I assume that insult was aimed towards me? You're pretty cocky, is it true you're from Sacramento and asking for help on an Oxnard trip? Just seems to me like there might be a more appropriate forum, where you might encounter more guys with experience fishing out of Oxnard. Good luck.

Reactions: brn2fis

salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
I wouldn't worry about the rain! Its the wind that will suck this weekend.

irob2

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
They moved that boat from sd because of the shitty rep it had probably trying to target people who don't know about them. If it's the same crew as the trip I was on when it was in sd I'm sorry

bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I don't know who owned it in SD but Frank Ursitti now owns it along with the Coral Sea and Ranger 85. Frank is a really nice guy and I have fished his two other boats without complaint. I am sure that this trip will be great as well.

Yeah, I forgot about that damn wind!

Reactions: tmcustoms

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Probably" is probably not a good word to use if you don't have your facts straight. Many boats fish LA/22ndSt, etc and Central Coast in the Winter/Spring and return to San Diego for Summer/Fall. Constitution looks like it wil be back at H&M in July.
    I learned all this in five minutes, "On that Internet thing" ;)

http://ursittisportfishing.com/

Last edited:

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
    Sacramento Ca
    Name
    Taylor Posey
    Boat
    Baby Lobster
    I met Frank at our local fishing expo seemed like a very nice guy cut me and 4 buddies a great deal on the trip. Like I said I have never fished channel islands so wanted to take the opportunity and I will have fun with my buddies regardless of weather the boat is first class or not.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys I appreciate it, and looks like I'm covered on gear.

I will report back with my experience on the boat good or bad after the trip.

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    The old owner, Daryl, was not much of a skipper.

His son/sons were deckhands, when they were awake.

I haven't been back since the new ownership, but I have heard good things.