07yzryder

Almost A Member
Sep 7, 2012
las vegas, NV
Name
Robert Butler
Boat
Yours if you'll let me
Fishing the TG 80, left Sunday night fishing Mon and Tues returning this morning. 25 good people and some hard working deckhands.

First day Capt wanted to see if there were some yellowtail somewhere near SCI which was a bust so plan was kite fishing for those Giants they hooked up on recently behind SCI. Unfortunately seiners had that area worked so we motored offshore with the rest of the fleet near the us/Mexican border

Made it to the fleet late Monday for a scratch bite and the boat picked up a dozen or so fish. I managed a decent yellowfin on a flat fall and my brother on a pink and chrome megabait.

Day 2 we motored around looking for schools, was a few hours past gray light it happened.... Boils and hookup after hookup. All in all 129 yellowfin and 2 dozen or so bluefin. Always a few rods bent the entire bite. Went on for a few hours then we motored around on schools picking up a good chunk more.

Not sure the final count but I know some good sized yellowtails came off a party as well as 1 Dorado. Even got a mako on board. My brother and i up with about 90lbs of filets which is more then enough for my family and a few friends.

Hopefully the season continues to heat up.

20190814_045923.jpg 20190814_045848_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    Was this lite line small hook stuff or were they biting 30-40 pound mono?

Upvote 0

07yzryder

Almost A Member
    Sep 7, 2012
    las vegas, NV
    Name
    Robert Butler
    Boat
    Yours if you'll let me
    40lb flouro was fine. Jackpot came on 30lb close second was 40lb. Guy who caught the most railed them on 40. Handed off at least a dozen fish on top of his limits.

Most were quick bites, within a minute or two. The ring in my calstar rod tip fell off so I had to use 20 and fight like hell lol.

Upvote 0

carcass

Apr 25, 2009
    Cedar City Utah
    Name
    scott
    Boat
    None
    Was on this trip. Too thin a hook and you would pull it through the mouth. Too thick and it made the sardines harder to be lively. Got mine on 2/0 Mustad j hooks and a longer shank j hook( flyliner, but can't remember the brand) . most of mine and my friends were caught on bellyhooking throwing to a sweet spot of the port corner or straight off the stern. One caught on small scrambled egg Salas doing yo-yo(actually was doing nothing as he was getting a rats nest out).
    Only a few fish caught off flatfall.

I fished 30 and 40 on flouro line.

My 3 man group came back with right around 200lbs worth of meat.

I was fortunate and got 3 yellowtail off one paddy.

Fish were there. Larg
    0814190928a_HDR~2.jpg
    er models were there West of Clemente but the seiners were busy. I counted 9 of them.

Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
    Three Rivers California
    Name
    PJ Stevko
    Boat
    N/A
    I was on this trip too and it turned into a great trip! Scott and Rob it was pleasure fishing with you guys! Total fish count was 115 yft, 97 bft, 1 dorado and 1 mako.... I ended up with 7 fish total.... 3 yft, 3 bft, and the only dorado! I'll post up my pics tomorrow

Reactions: carcass
    Upvote 0

carcass

Apr 25, 2009
    Cedar City Utah
    Name
    scott
    Boat
    None
    I believe we started out at the Tanner Bank. Cpt said he wanted to check it out since no one has been out there for a while. That's where the rockfish came from. We worked our way back to Clemente and came across one non-biting school of Bluefin about 15 miles West of Clemente. We then headed towards the northern end for nothing, then worked southward. Cpt announced a group of 300-400 Bluefin under the boat, but didn't stay very long and the seiners were there enmasse with one putting up a pen. Trolled a yummy flyer /kite for a while, nothing. When it was obvious the dream of cow tuna was crushed, we headed where everyone else was.

Got there at sunset of day 1 and got a nice little evening bite where we got the skunk off.

Day two had plenty of action, especially around noon. They are out there.

Upvote 0

joshc1024

Aug 23, 2009
    Menifee
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Boat club
    I believe we started out at the Tanner Bank. Cpt said he wanted to check it out since no one has been out there for a while. That's where the rockfish came from. We worked our way back to Clemente and came across one non-biting school of Bluefin about 15 miles West of Clemente. We then headed towards the northern end for nothing, then worked southward. Cpt announced a group of 300-400 Bluefin under the boat, but didn't stay very long and the seiners were there enmasse with one putting up a pen. Trolled a yummy flyer /kite for a while, nothing. When it was obvious the dream of cow tuna was crushed, we headed where everyone else was.

Got there at sunset of day 1 and got a nice little evening bite where we got the skunk off.

Day two had plenty of action, especially around noon. They are out there.

Seiners wrapping bluefin?

Upvote 0