2-17 160 Bass PV Blowout

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Kman, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Got a call from Lal yesterday to see if I wanted to go fishing before the storm with him and Cory. I said hell yes, as I really needed a break from dealing with a nasty bout of email attacks, ID theft and mail theft. I had also just bailed on going snowstorm camping in the Sierras due to a crappy snow forecast. Damn El Niño, and its 8,000' snow levels.

We met at Lal’s at 0500 and were fishing the PV coastline an hour later. The wind was ripping offshore up the coastline over 59 degree water. Despite having very little current (other than the wind drift) the bass were on the chew big time.

We had doubles and triples right off the bat, and had 40 bass C&R’d by 0730. The bite continued, with us crossing the 80 fish mark an hour later. There was no size to these fish, with the biggest maybe going 3.5#. 2-2.5# cookie cutter sportcoats were the norm, but what the hell, they were coming over the rail two and three at a time. I’ll take that any time.

We kept repeating the drift for a few hours, passing the 100 fish mark, then 120, 130, 140. The bite finally died, and we started fishing our way back to Davies. We caught a few down the line, then again on some stones on the inside ‘shoe.

We finished catching a few sandies on a spot inside the breakwall (of all places) and it was there we finally caught a decent fish. Cory caught something on 20# that took drag. It ended up being a 6.5# grump—by far our largest fish of the day.

We called it around 1300. Totals: ~160 bass 60/40 calico/sandy. Bycatch was almost nil—a Johnny bass, a couple rock fish and a sculpin. The wind blew offshore nearly all day. I never saw any current to speak of. Most of Lal’s and Cory’s fish were caught on 4” Calico Hunters, and all of my fish were caught on my clear/red +6 other flakes (Kman Special) 4" hand pours. Most fish were caught straight down, and many were hooked after biting multiple times. Our bite-to-hookset ratio was lower than normal. Of interesting note was a ~16 inch sandy Cory had caught that was grabbed and raked by something LARGE--maybe a black?

Once again, we didn’t sink the boat or get arrested or towed, so it was a great day on the water. All fish save for a few badly hooked ones were released to fight another day. Cory has the pictures, and will post them below. The only pic I have is that of a pretty good case of bass thumb.

Topping off this great day was coming home to an email from a deputy I've been working with telling me they caught 4 mail thieves 2 streets over last night.

Thank you for the invite Lal. I really needed that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Yup that thumb looks about right,wtg,cool report!

3. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Oh, forgot to mention I got to try out an old, roached, Curado 300DSV that I brought back from the dead with some new parts and TLC. Worked like new!

[​IMG]

4. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hey Kurt, great report, I know I was supposed to post as soon as you texted me but I was already down for the count, on the couch, ZZZZZZ!

Despite most fish caught and released being non picture worthy, Lal finally caught a 3+ pound Calico Bass:

[​IMG]

Shortly thereafter, I caught a 3.5 pound Sand Bass:

[​IMG]

Then Kurt caught a marginal picture worthy Calico Bass, 2.75 lb. albeit colorful:

[​IMG]

The wind was pushing us quickly north, and we flew by various lobster pots and several other unknown private boaters, who had joined us. We didn't see them catch much, then again, we had our hands full with biting fish. They must of been doing well, as they stuck around for at least three hours. Most Bass were in the 1.5 to 2 lb. range, and many bit the plastic on the fall, which is always a thrill.

I joined the picture worthy Calico Bass group with a 3+ pound beauty:

[​IMG]

Kurt added to his Calico Bass totals with this 3+ pounder:

[​IMG]

I was then slammed hard on the fall, which produced a good back lash. I was able to gain some line wrapping over the back lash, then the big fish started really pulling hard, taking the reel right down to the back lash, then stopped. The Black held on, it would broke the line and able to eat its quarry. We took a picture and noticed the teeth marks on its back. no way this 3.5 pound Sandy could pull that hard, something ate it, and spit it out:

[​IMG]

Lal continued to re-set us up on the fish, despite the wind reaching over 15 knots. Amazingly the Bass kept right on biting. A few more pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were essentially done and Lal stopped us on a small rock on our way in. I got hammered several times, but no hook set, then I got whacked real hard. The big fish took some serious drag, and I was glad I had thrown the 20 pound and instead of the 15 pound. I slowly worked the fish up, as it took drag several more times:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At 6.5 pounds pictures never seem to do big fish justice. It was my biggest Bass in nearly two years.

A pleasure fishing with you Kurt, thanks again Lal, you can sure put us on the fish.

kbray001 and 26grumpy like this.
  5. C-4 Fishing

C-4 Fishing Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Very cool brudda and great trip!!!!
    Sorry about ur luck with the mail thieves and ID theft bastards. There is a special spot in hell for thieves of all kinds, especially spineless ID/mail thieves.
    Just a heads up to everyone out there. Never put any sensitive mail in ur home mailbox or those blue mailboxes on the street/corners. Those are prime spots to get ur stuff jacked.

6. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Epic bass bite gents!!

7. antdog562

antdog562 Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    22' bayrunner
    Great report and pics! We were out there also, great fishing. U guys were bent every time i looked over

8. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Nice!

Bass fishing has been really good this winter that's for sure.

j

9. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hey great to hear from you, what have you and Vince been up to?

10. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    With two kids now, one 3 and one 10 months, days on the water are a bit less these days.Evan has been out a couple times with Vince. This summer we will start to bring him out a lot. Lots of beach days for now.

Vince is still fishing a lot as always. :hali_olutta:

I'll start posting reports again once I get through infant and toddler life. At 46 years old, it's the toughest and best job I have ever had. :D

Team Scribby

[​IMG]

j

Fishdude, antdog562 and Tunaslam like this.