1st Trip aboard the Indy in Nov 2019

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by FinHunter619, Jun 13, 2019.

1. FinHunter619

FinHunter619 Newbie

Name:
    Marty Parsons
    Boat:
    VeXus AVX 1980
    Its been about 20 years since I've done a real LR trip so I'm really looking forward to this trip. I have still been saltwater fishing just not going LR. I used to fish on the Q-105 when JD was the captain and American Angler for my LR trips. Been steady at getting my gear updated and filling my new tackle box with terminal gear. Any advice about the boat would be helpful. TIA.

2. pthein

pthein Dorado

Name:
    Phil
    Boat:
    35' Cabo / Intrepid
    Which trip are you doing in November?..

3. SlideRight

SlideRight Just Fishin'

Name:
    Lew
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  4. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Which trip are you on?

5. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    If you’re an older gent, as many on this board are and not much into jumping up on the upper bunk. Let Judy know you need a lower, also the Indy preassigns tackle box spots based on deposit date. So there is no need to get there at the crack of dawn. Unlike the other boats you mention, the Indy has tons of storage space top side so don’t worry about bringing too much. Also, don’t plan on losing any weight.

Big carp likes this.
  6. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    Each angler has 3 or 4 assigned spots for rods along the side plus each person gets one rocket launcher rod holder above the tackle storage area. The tackle box area has assigned spots. There are three rows, top middle and bottom. If you have rod holders on your box you have to be #1 through #6 or #1 through #8 to use your tackle box rodholders but there are plenty of rod holders forward for extra rods.
    There is a soda machine plus a coffee machine with hot water for making hot chocolate, tea etc. Bring a no spill cup for soda and one for coffee. It is much better than using a paper cup which can spill. The boat is big and roomy. The staterooms have plenty of storage for your clothes and gear. The galley will seat everyone on the trip with no problem. You should have a good trip.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. FinHunter619

FinHunter619 Newbie

Name:
    Marty Parsons
    Boat:
    VeXus AVX 1980
    I am going on the trip that leaves the day after Thanksgiving. It called Roger's Thankgiving Classic.

8. FinHunter619

FinHunter619 Newbie

Name:
    Marty Parsons
    Boat:
    VeXus AVX 1980
    Great news, Thanks

9. FinHunter619

FinHunter619 Newbie

Name:
    Marty Parsons
    Boat:
    VeXus AVX 1980
    Yeah I am a little older, turning 61 tomorrow. I remember the good food on these trips and it actually looks like the food has gotten even better over the years. That's always good thing. I will be there early anyways just so I can get a spot in the parking lot and make it easy to load my truck when we return.

10. canyonman

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Fish this trip every year. bBuck can vouch for us great core group of anglers. Rogers a great guy plenty of giveaways. Any questions fire away

bbuck likes this.
  11. FinHunter619

FinHunter619 Newbie

Name:
    Marty Parsons
    Boat:
    VeXus AVX 1980
    I have read the fish reports going back to 2012 for this trip and it always seems like you guys get some great fish. Do you get around 9 days of fishing time on average? depending on stops of course. do they ever stop on the way down or just head to hurricane and then stop on spots while heading back?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  12. FinHunter619

FinHunter619 Newbie

Name:
    Marty Parsons
    Boat:
    VeXus AVX 1980
    I plan on bringing a 2 Penn 50's, 150# & 130#, 2 Tiagra 30's ea with 100#, 2 80# set ups, 1ea 60 # & 50#, 2 ea 40# sets up.
    Are wind on leaders in various #'s the best way to go?
    What pound wire leader for bait works best?
    I also plan on having a combination of wahoo bombs and jigs to use. not sure how many, rather have more than not enough. :)
    I have 3 new DTX trollers for wahoo but I am wondering if the marauders are still being used with success?

What type of tackle giveway's does Roger do? Is it useful on that trip?

13. canyonman

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Your quiver sounds right for the trip. Usually 4 days down 4 days back with 7 days at the bank. Some years a quick stop at alijos to catch some dinner. But it’s usually a big fish or bust trip. Last year the bank was off after a lot of searching we went and killed wahoo and yellowtail. DTX were hot last year but the durability lead to the end of the trip being mostly marauders 69 lb wire is what I go with at the bank if there’s tuna around. Even though I’ll be honest most bait fishing for hoo was done at the aligos bank (not the rocks). At hurricane it was troll for hoo then anchor or drift for tuna If you do wind ons bring an assortment from 80 to 150. They will all get used. Roger usually gives out a tackle bag with all stuff that will be used on the trip plus a raffle of 3 great giveaways. He’s a super nice guy and will reach out to you as the trip gets closer. The crew is great and will guide you as needed. Ed and Josh or Rollo are awesome in the galley. We do bloodymarys almost everyday. Plus movie marathons on the way up. Just a relaxed vibe good mix of younger guys as well as seasoned vets. You will enjoy

14. FinHunter619

FinHunter619 Newbie

Name:
    Marty Parsons
    Boat:
    VeXus AVX 1980
    Thanks for the info. I met Don Klahs already and he gave me a tour of the boat. Seems like a super nice guy and very helpful. He told me about the bloody mary afternoons. LOL.
    Yes I was planning on an assortment of wind-on leader's so I will have plenty in each #. Sounds like I will need to get a couple marauders just to keep me covered when trolling for hoo's.
    Has this trip ever stopped and fished the bufferzone? or is it just a HB or bust trip?

15. canyonman

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Don is a great guy and a hell of a fisherman. Years past we’ve fished lower banks, buffer zone as well as hurricane. We have a week so all the usual spots are in play. Matt ls got the trip this year I know we will be in good hands

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  16. hagridfish

hagridfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    None
    Went on the Indy last year. LOVED the boat. I'm big and fat, so the extra little bit of room was really great! Food was Excellent! usually soup for morning snack made from dinner leftovers really good stuff. I went when Jeff was running the boat. Skippers don't come much better in my book, I seemed to connect with the deck hand Oscar. A really nice guy, very helpful and always around. the rest of the crew on my trip was pretty good. Food, top notch. Just don't know what it's going to be like without Jeff. That guy can find fish in a parking lot!!!!!!!!!!

17. dtf

dtf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    22ft, Pursuit
    Owners made a big mistake in not keeping Jeff on the Indy.
    RP made a great decision hiring Jeff.

vegasandre, kevina and rickberg like this.
  18. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Feedback from anglers who have fished trips with Matt Kaullen has nothing but excellent. If I were going to fish that boat I wouldn’t have a second thought about Matt. Does anybody know who will relieve him?

rickberg and dtf like this.
  19. dtf

dtf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    22ft, Pursuit
    You will hear nothing but good things about Matt. He will be one of the top skippers in the fleet. ( tutored by Jeff)

Big carp, Steve K and TanstaaflSD like this.
  20. TanstaaflSD

TanstaaflSD Member

Name:
    Tanstaafl
    Boat:
    n/a
    X2