1st Timer on 1.5 Day San Diego

leeroythecat

Jul 3, 2021
USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Saltiga
Booked a 1.5 day with Seaforth Sportfishing within the next 2 weeks. (Weekday trip)This is my first time fishing an overnight (used to do 1/2 day + 3/4 days when I was a kid).

I'm a bit intimidated by what I've seen online with regards to what I need to bring as I mainly fish freshwater and not saltwater. Had some questions I'd love to ask here and get some feedback.

Gear I plan to bring:
1. Penn Fathom 30LD - Spooled with 85lb braid. No rod yet, will rent from the tackle shop.
2. Spool of 20lb Fluoro.
3. Spool of 30lb Fluoro.
4. ? Probably rent another jigging rod + reel from the tackle shop + some jigs?

1. Pillow + Blanket - Do I need to bring a sheet/bedding to cover the bed or am I essentially sleeping on my blanket? I'm not quite sure what to do for this aspect and would definitely need to go out and buy something.

2. For a 9 PM departure, how much am I actually sleeping or should I expect roughly 33/36 hours fishing and the resting portion in between moving places?

3. In terms of watching videos, it seems people are super aggressive when fishing. For example, it appears that unless I am super aggressive with finding a place to cast, I will basically not be able to get any fish since all the anglers on board are casting towards one location. Is this the case? I don't really want to be fighting with like 30 people all fishing off one small side. My concerns are I'm relatively new to conventional reel (used baitcasters before), and am worried about casting my hook straight into somebody or just basically getting jostled aside. Given that this is my first overnight trip, I'm assuming the anglers would be more hardcore and wouldn't be the families that I'm used to fishing with previously. I don't really want to spend the full 1.5 days there jostling with people and all crowding one side of the boat.

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
1. pillow and light sleeping bag or twin sheet and blanket.

2. Don’t worry about this. You can rest when the boat is moving and should get up when it stops.

3. longer answer below…

Rent the gear you need (probably two setups- one heavy-60-80# and one light-20-40#). Buy what you need from the tackle shop in terms of hooks, weights for sinker rig, and fluoro, and maybe a jig or two. Tell the crew when you check in on the boat that it’s your first time doing this kind of fishing and any help would be appreciated. Listen to what they tell you. Have them help you get rigged up (tying knots and setting drags) the night before. When you start fishing, watch how people get their bait. Stay out of the way of people who are real aggressive and/or act like dickheads. Be courteous. Be cognizant of your and others safety at all times. Be slow and methodical at the bait tank. Watch where people cast their baits and how they follow them. Wait for an opportunity to do the same. You just need to barely cast/lob your bait away from the boat and hope it swims away. Follow your bait (line perpendicular to the side of the boat- no angles no tangles). Always have enough tension on the bait that you can feel it swimming, but not ever tight. If your bait swims under the boat, reel in and get another bait. You can learn to feel when your line is rubbing another’s- another one you should immediately reel in. When someone has a fish and is coming down the rail at you, lift your rod so they can go under you. If you just put a bait in the water consider just reeling in to get out of their way. If you get in a tangle with someone with a fish on, don’t pull or reel, just do what the crew tells you. Just try to have fun and learn. You may have the chance to pull in a fish and you may not, but you will certainly have the opportunity to learn and enjoy being out on the water.

Just as a side note- My first SoCal tuna trip was on a crappy boat out of Newport in 2014 and there were over 40 people on the boat. I could barely find a place to fish when nothing was biting, but towards the end of the day we found a wide open paddy and I was able to cast from the corner whenever it was clear and got picked up 3 times. However, that is not the style of fishing you should expect in July. When it comes to bluefin, you typically need to do everything right and have the stars align to even get a bite. There are exceptions however too, some days the fish want to die. Have fun!

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
3. In terms of watching videos, it seems people are super aggressive when fishing. For example, it appears that unless I am super aggressive with finding a place to cast, I will basically not be able to get any fish since all the anglers on board are casting towards one location. Is this the case? I don't really want to be fighting with like 30 people all fishing off one small side. My concerns are I'm relatively new to conventional reel (used baitcasters before), and am worried about casting my hook straight into somebody or just basically getting jostled aside. Given that this is my first overnight trip, I'm assuming the anglers would be more hardcore and wouldn't be the families that I'm used to fishing with previously. I don't really want to spend the full 1.5 days there jostling with people and all crowding one side of the boat.
since you are a you-tube fisherman, google "tuna shuffle". Watch every thing and every body. People moving in different directions all at the same time is not being "aggressive". Its working as a team.... with the deckhands & skipper acting as coaches.
Yes. You will be casting your live bait from an area of the boat that the other bait fishermen will be casting in from. but the boat is moving one way while youur bait is swimming another so 30 people will NOT be fishing in the same 2' of rail space.

For schoolie fish: Once hooked up, you will need to learn to be vocal in public to let other people know what YOUR FISH is doing... as THEY also need to be doing to let you know what their fish is doing. Follow your bait, keep your fish in front of you, over/under, put your rod tips together are going to be common terms that you will be hearing and hopefully learning

this is NOT your basic 1#-2# rockfish/sandbass/scculpin/sand dab excursion. Have fun but you need to lose the snowflake attitude of "those guys are being so agressive".

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
As note above, great advice. Definitely let the crew know your new, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Some of the passengers will be willing to assist, and of course others won’t. If all work together, that is always the best outcome. Definitely rent a 30-40 pound set up. Get to the landing a bit early and see what size hooks, etc might be needed.

learn a few good knots, like the San Diego Jam, Uni, and Seaguar (for mono to fluorocarbon)

if you are drifting, alway keep your face to the wind to avoid your bait from going under the boat. Sometimes going to the bow, a gentle underhand lob cast is all you need.

keep asking questions.

Ih and plan to have FUN.

Upvote 0

leeroythecat

Jul 3, 2021
USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Saltiga
Got it. Yeah I have a 30-40lb setup on a tranx 300 and a swim bait rod. I’ll bring that. I thought it was too light to bring so didn’t mention it.

Reactions: RichG
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Your tranx 300 on a swim bait rod is great for twenty pound and under fish, like kelp yellowtail. It is NOT a "30-40 setup" and please don't fish it when the captain calls for that level of gear when you are on a sportsfishing boat with two or three dozen other people.

Reactions: bdubs73 and RichG

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Is your Fathom 30 a 2-speed? Do you know how many yards of line are on it? I have both Fathom 30 and Torque 30 2-speed reels, loaded with 60# braid, excellent 40# class reels that will fish 30# just as easily. Could be the reel you use the most on your 1.5 Day. Be sure to pair it with a good stick; check all the guides and inserts, to make certain there are no nicks in the inserts or loose/missing guides.

Definitely rent a "Heavy", 80/100# rig. Impossible to know if your trip will find the "larger models" but you absolutely need to be ready. You will use this rig for night-time jigs, heavy sinker rig, and any time the Captain hails you with "Big ones on the screen, drop nothing less than 80#!". Make sure your rental "Heavy" has a good amount of braid on it, and not just a huge wad of mono (which won't fish deep jigs as well as braid).

Bring at least 1 300 gram+ Flat Fall style jig and at least 1 300 gram+ knife jig. Mostly for fishing at night.

Pick up hooks, fluoro, torpedo sinkers (3, 4, and 6 ounce) at the landing before you leave. They will know what is working. Bring a handful of rubber bands for the torpedo sinkers.

If you are having trouble casting your sardine it is absolutely OK to pull 10' of line off your reel and just lob the 'dine away from the boat underhanded. If the 'dine swims back under the boat, toss it and start over. When you get a strong swimmer let it run/soak for a while.

Watch what the other anglers are doing, both those stacking fish and those who aren't. Ask the high sticks what they are doing, usually they are more than willing to share info with a polite newbie.

Ask the deck hands for help. They are there to help you be successful. If they have time ask them to bait, and possibly even cast, a good bait for you. Bait selection and presentation make a huge difference.

If you get involved in a tangle/shit show keep a good attitude. Don't get angry if the deck hands cut your leader and you have to re-tie. If you lose a BFT to a tangle, get back in the water ASAP. The other angler already feels bad, even if it wasn't his fault. Keep your focus on getting that next bite.

Have fun and take pics! First over-nighter is kind of an historic occasion!

Upvote 0

leeroythecat

Jul 3, 2021
    USA
    Name
    Kai
    Boat
    Saltiga
    Is your Fathom 30 a 2-speed? Do you know how many yards of line are on it? I have both Fathom 30 and Torque 30 2-speed reels, loaded with 60# braid, excellent 40# class reels that will fish 30# just as easily. Could be the reel you use the most on your 1.5 Day. Be sure to pair it with a good stick; check all the guides and inserts, to make certain there are no nicks in the inserts or loose/missing guides.

Definitely rent a "Heavy", 80/100# rig. Impossible to know if your trip will find the "larger models" but you absolutely need to be ready. You will use this rig for night-time jigs, heavy sinker rig, and any time the Captain hails you with "Big ones on the screen, drop nothing less than 80#!". Make sure your rental "Heavy" has a good amount of braid on it, and not just a huge wad of mono (which won't fish deep jigs as well as braid).

Bring at least 1 300 gram+ Flat Fall style jig and at least 1 300 gram+ knife jig. Mostly for fishing at night.

Pick up hooks, fluoro, torpedo sinkers (3, 4, and 6 ounce) at the landing before you leave. They will know what is working. Bring a handful of rubber bands for the torpedo sinkers.

If you are having trouble casting your sardine it is absolutely OK to pull 10' of line off your reel and just lob the 'dine away from the boat underhanded. If the 'dine swims back under the boat, toss it and start over. When you get a strong swimmer let it run/soak for a while.

Watch what the other anglers are doing, both those stacking fish and those who aren't. Ask the high sticks what they are doing, usually they are more than willing to share info with a polite newbie.

Ask the deck hands for help. They are there to help you be successful. If they have time ask them to bait, and possibly even cast, a good bait for you. Bait selection and presentation make a huge difference.

If you get involved in a tangle/shit show keep a good attitude. Don't get angry if the deck hands cut your leader and you have to re-tie. If you lose a BFT to a tangle, get back in the water ASAP. The other angler already feels bad, even if it wasn't his fault. Keep your focus on getting that next bite.

Have fun and take pics! First over-nighter is kind of an historic occasion!
    Yeah the fathom is a 2 speed. Spooled with 85lb braid. 455 yards it looks like from the box.

Last edited:
    Reactions: woodfish330
    2Rotten
    2Rotten
    Nice! 60# would give you more capacity, but 365 yards should be enough for 30/40# class leaders.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0