Wishin' I was fishin'
Jun 7, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA.
Name
CHRIS
Boat
SOLD IT
Long post but we're excited...sorry.

Went out Sat with my son on his CC to try and get our first T-shark. Got some very key info from RodRage (Thanks Todd!!!) and felt confident between that and the research that we had done on line.

It seemed that the trip was doomed as my son was diagnosed with bronchitis and a "touch of pneumonia" on Thursday. "Dad, what if I just drive the boat and you do all of the fighting?"....I asked the Doc and got clearance for a "low key, near the harbor" trip so we could be close to emergency services if needed. Scary comment from him but I know my son and felt that he would endure if we did it right.

Launch the boat at 6:30...FF connections are a little corroded and it won't power on...oh well, not going far anyways, just harder to find the bait balls.

Rapalas in at 7......hook up at 8:30!! I'm on it...my son (calmly) clears the other line and he's back at the helm. This thing is pulling line and we hadn't seen it yet so I didn't want to add drag. Blake (my son) is following the fish...right to the lobster buoy mine field! Crap! ok Blake, just stay close to it....first buoy comes up and we decide to pass it on the right....buoy starts dropping! Shit!!....back up and go around the other side! Done, fish still swimming and we're still hooked up. It kept going with no further buoy issues. 200 yds out of the mines and Blake has me almost up and down on it...ok, neutral, now let's see what this thing looks like. We finally get it up to the surface and we have what looks to be about a 10 ft. T and it's tail hooked. we were almost to our wire leader and Blake yells "Dad, the line is fraying!"..I look at the rod tip and see about a 1/2 inch long curly Q coming off the mono....great, this is going to suck. After 40 minutes the fish is up and down and not fighting much, I pull it up..it's dead...my son (calmly) tail ropes it and we high 5....ok, smiles....Gatorade and start cruising...drag it for a good 30 minutes. Then into the boat and back at the dock. Back on the trailer by 10:45. Get back home and I'm looking at the wire leader used to catch the fish, we just crimped them on Tuesday.....at the lure end of the leader, the wire had slipped out and the wire had tightend itself into an overhand knot!! Holy crap, we never should have caught this fish!!

Awesome day with my son and about 70 lbs of meat!! Can't beat it.

20191028_094522.jpg 20191026_100229.jpg Resized_20191026_114638.jpeg IMG_2025.jpg 20191026_100309.jpg

C-4 Fishing

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 4, 2014
Name
Dave
Boat
Kayak
That picture of them looking at each other with their mouth open is priceless. Sitting here eating The Mess at Schooner or Later with my puppy and it made me laugh out loud.

that’s awesome

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
Great memories, and some great eats!

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Congrats! I've never landed a thresher. I've hooked two while fishing for offshore yellowtail, slow walking big sardines. It is sure a rush when they jump! But unless you are deliberately targeting them, it is an almost certain break-off. What a gorgeous fish!

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
That’s an awesome catch Chris! You two must be stoked.

PS, I’ll be by this weekend for QC :D

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Good job on your first T-Shark! Your son has some mad boat skills. I would not want to end up in that mine field!
FYI, That is why you don't troll Rapalas for T-shark.
They like to slap the bait with their tail and end up tail hooked.
Then they end up drowned. Then you may or may not be able to bring it to the boat. If you want to fish um use slow trolled mini- macks. That way you are likely to get one hooked in the mouth.

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
Aug 8, 2008
Newport
Name
Scott
Boat
21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
Nice T.. hope your son recovers quick!

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320

If it's meant to be, and it was, it will happen.
Better to be lucky versus good.
Just be glad the wire leader held out long enough to get the T,
and you didn't have to painfully watch it sink out dead.
Greats job Dad and Son!

mandoman68

Big Loco
Mar 3, 2008
Aztlan
Name
Mandoman
Boat
Kathleen
Long post but we're excited...sorry.

Went out Sat with my son on his CC to try and get our first T-shark. Got some very key info from RodRage (Thanks Todd!!!) and felt confident between that and the research that we had done on line.

It seemed that the trip was doomed as my son was diagnosed with bronchitis and a "touch of pneumonia" on Thursday. "Dad, what if I just drive the boat and you do all of the fighting?"....I asked the Doc and got clearance for a "low key, near the harbor" trip so we could be close to emergency services if needed. Scary comment from him but I know my son and felt that he would endure if we did it right.

Launch the boat at 6:30...FF connections are a little corroded and it won't power on...oh well, not going far anyways, just harder to find the bait balls.

Rapalas in at 7......hook up at 8:30!! I'm on it...my son (calmly) clears the other line and he's back at the helm. This thing is pulling line and we hadn't seen it yet so I didn't want to add drag. Blake (my son) is following the fish...right to the lobster buoy mine field! Crap! ok Blake, just stay close to it....first buoy comes up and we decide to pass it on the right....buoy starts dropping! Shit!!....back up and go around the other side! Done, fish still swimming and we're still hooked up. It kept going with no further buoy issues. 200 yds out of the mines and Blake has me almost up and down on it...ok, neutral, now let's see what this thing looks like. We finally get it up to the surface and we have what looks to be about a 10 ft. T and it's tail hooked. we were almost to our wire leader and Blake yells "Dad, the line is fraying!"..I look at the rod tip and see about a 1/2 inch long curly Q coming off the mono....great, this is going to suck. After 40 minutes the fish is up and down and not fighting much, I pull it up..it's dead...my son (calmly) tail ropes it and we high 5....ok, smiles....Gatorade and start cruising...drag it for a good 30 minutes. Then into the boat and back at the dock. Back on the trailer by 10:45. Get back home and I'm looking at the wire leader used to catch the fish, we just crimped them on Tuesday.....at the lure end of the leader, the wire had slipped out and the wire had tightend itself into an overhand knot!! Holy crap, we never should have caught this fish!!

Awesome day with my son and about 70 lbs of meat!! Can't beat it.

View attachment 1083442 View attachment 1083443 View attachment 1083444 View attachment 1083445 View attachment 1083446
Very nice!

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Wow ! Cool story . Dug the face to face/ arm picture Congratulations to both !

Reactions: mandoman68