bass kid

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 24, 2005
San Diego
Name
john mcquade
Boat
16 foot jon boat
Took the SUP out over the weekend when it was way to windy. Stayed close to the shore most of the time to help block the wind, but got pretty far from my launching point by the end of the day. Brought anice corvina on the board which was totally unexpected, hoping for another, i fished that spot for a while and hooked into what i thought was going to be a good fish..turns out it wasnt. Few spottys later and i hooked into the real mud marlon and spent some time battling that guy.

Was a little off that day, almost fell in showing a spotty to the camera, thankfully landed on the board and didnt go in...its all on video. Cant be on point everyday.

Spottys: 4
Corvina: 1
String ray?: 1
Butterfly ray?: 1

YEMQE0854.JPG

radman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
We very rarely fish the bay after dark,unless it is for lobster,which one time my 9 yr old caught a nice butterfly ray on his bass rod with a small ghost shrimp colored plastic,but anyways,I had a 2 kids staying with us over the summer who were playing college summer baseballl here.They asked me if we could try for some rays and sharks in the bay.We anchored up around dusk,and i started chumming cut up bait,and we had several rods out with whole squid on them.We caught rays,lepoard sharks,guitar fish,even a short halibut for about 2 hours,until we left.Some of the Bats pull very hard,my kids loved it and so did they.The bay is sacred for me,I started fishing it probably 35 years ago.You really never know what is there.

Reactions: bass kid

bass kid

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 24, 2005
San Diego
Name
john mcquade
Boat
16 foot jon boat
We very rarely fish the bay after dark,unless it is for lobster,which one time my 9 yr old caught a nice butterfly ray on his bass rod with a small ghost shrimp colored plastic,but anyways,I had a 2 kids staying with us over the summer who were playing college summer baseballl here.They asked me if we could try for some rays and sharks in the bay.We anchored up around dusk,and i started chumming cut up bait,and we had several rods out with whole squid on them.We caught rays,lepoard sharks,guitar fish,even a short halibut for about 2 hours,until we left.Some of the Bats pull very hard,my kids loved it and so did they.The bay is sacred for me,I started fishing it probably 35 years ago.You really never know what is there.
Awsome, ya i see them all the time when im paddling over shallow water, not easy to deal with on the stand up paddle board!

bass kid

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 24, 2005
San Diego
Name
john mcquade
Boat
16 foot jon boat