The American Tackle Company

ready2roll

Jan 3, 2016
Florida
Name
chris
Boat
Native
I've searched on several forums and googled all the info I can and have yet to get a definitive answer on my main concern about this type seat. How tightly does the reel seat lock up on the reel and does it loosen with use? This is in reference to the Fuji NS7 size reel seat, whichever model number has the plastic inside the hoods for the reel foot. This will be wrapped with thread and epoxied in all three places directly to the blank or to something similarly hard, possibly wood to increase the diameter for blending into the handles. The rod is a 9' phenix 20-50lb and will be run with a spinning reel in a size that holds 350-400ish yards of 40-50lb braid. Think Shimano Stella 10000 sized. My other questions are should I get the model that has the plastic on the base or the all metal one with the sleeves in the hood only and is there another comparable option similar to the plate seat for a spinning reel. I do not want to tape anything. This rod must look as good as it performs and tape is not going to be part of that. If this reel seat is junk and I should use an aluminum spinning seat, so be it. Just advise against the plate. Rod will be used in the surf (mostly) for large tarpon, shark, bull reds, snook and less frequently from the boat slow trolling live bait for kings, tarpon, mahi, wahoo, and sight casting plugs or bait to cobia and mahi. Not to mention any number of other near shore species on Florida's east coast. All help is greatly appreciated as this is my last hang up on getting this rod completed.

Upvote 0

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
I've used them on a few builds and they work well in spinning applications. I had your concerns too, but they're just fine + they're light weight.

Which one is your choice, but the one that wraps in the middle would probably work best with a large reel.

Glueing is not necessary, but I've done that too. Be careful that your glue job doesn't interfere with the sliding hood's operation.

This one is thread wrapped under the cord.

Mack 4.JPG

Upvote 0

ready2roll

Jan 3, 2016
Florida
Name
chris
Boat
Native
Ok! Very nice. Thank you. The one I'm looking at doesn't have the hood but if I do get one that covers middle wrap I will be sure to pay attention to that. I know it's personal opinion but how would you say they feel in the hand?

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I've used them a couple times, but always over an existing cord wrap. So in that regard, they just feel like a deck hand cord grip. I generally attach them using only epoxy bands where you are supposed to wrap cord and they havent even thought about budging for the last two years.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2009
Orange County
Name
Darren
Boat
None
I have used them on three conventional rods and while they worked ok, I took them off. The two things I didn't care for; the reel was positioned 1/4" off the rod due to the plate thickness and I couldn't get the reel as tight/secure as I could with a reel seat.

You may not have the same issues because you will be using spinning reels.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I have used them on three conventional rods and while they worked ok, I took them off. The two things I didn't care for; the reel was positioned 1/4" off the rod due to the plate thickness and I couldn't get the reel as tight/secure as I could with a reel seat.

You may not have the same issues because you will be using spinning reels.
If you attach to the blank it is the same distance off the rod as a conventional reel seat but most put it over cord so that is a good point.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

ready2roll

Jan 3, 2016
Florida
Name
chris
Boat
Native
Based on what I'm learning is that since I am wrapping directly to the blank or to something hard that's basically just increasing the blank diameter for aesthetics and feel I shouldn't have an issue with the plate itself being wobbly. My worry was lock up on the reel to plate connection. I've never held one but based on pictures those little ribs and clasp look a little "janky" and I'm just hoping the reel fits tightly and locks down solidly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0