1st dragon scale

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
well a year after starting to build my own rods and lots of lurking thru the old threads here on BD and other rod forums I finally attempted my first dragon scale. i’m not sure who originated this but thank you and to everyone that has shared their info on the inter webs.

I tried to make my own layout jig but that didn’t work out too well. I ended up buying one. after refining my marking method on the blank and triple checking the marks I put down the under wrap. one rotation is 1 linear inch. I was going to call it a night but I got excited and then proceeded to put my metallic over wrap on. I should have waited and done a small fade with silver and black. oh wel next time. I think it came good. any tips or comments are welcomed! thanks all

AC6606D8-C6E4-4E07-8790-E4E509362FF8.jpeg 137013D3-A5DD-4264-8F60-0350BB5495FD.jpeg

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Looks good.For a smaller scale look try fiberglass drywall mesh tape then over wrap it.

Upvote 0

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
Great first attempt.

The dragon scale was conceived by Jim Trelikes (Webspinner), which is why they're often referred to as JTDS.

Reactions: JTrelikes
Upvote 0

JTrelikes

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 3, 2006
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat
    Bubba Jean 28
    Great first attempt.

The dragon scale was conceived by Jim Trelikes (Webspinner), which is why they're often referred to as JTDS.

Thanks Bill! :D

..........and btw, unless you're doing something other than a basic dragonscale, fuck the mesh tape. Work on honing your skills rather than looking for shortcuts. (no offense)

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    I attempted doubling the density (finer) but I got lost in the number tic marks and then my eyes got all whacked out with alll the thread going which ever which way. it was fml. I re wound all the base layer and then decided to take a baby steps.

the only issue I have now it I wished I did a black to magenta fade to help the ends.... I’m debating if I want to cut it off and restart again...

I like the mesh tape but it since it doesn’t quite match up on the ends I wouldn’t be able to live with the rod that way and it would bug the shit out of me.

thanks everyone!

Upvote 0