Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
I had the chance to try fly fishing with my father-in-law. We went out and slow trolled streamers from float tubes. Not fly fishing in the truest sense, but a great intro as I landed my largest trout ever at about 21" and 4 lbs (C&R). I really enjoyed the touch and feel of the fly rod, which I believe was a 6 wt.

I'd like to purchase a set up which will most likely see trout in the 1-4 lb class. Areas fished will be the eastern Sierra's and some of my local mountain waters here in the Lake Arrowhead area. What weight rod and any reel suggestions? Any help, along with line advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• day1.2.jpg
    day1.2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat Name
44 luhrs dreamer
wiat untill you catch them on drys!Nothing better!Sight fishing with dry flys is the most fun and most challenging IMO.Tom

Upvote 0

imprezafan

Feb 2, 2007
Long Beach, Ca
Name
Mo
Boat Name
n/a
I float tube a lot up in your area. I think a 9' 5wt rod with a mid-arbor or large-arbor reel (faster line retrieval) would be a good setup. A medium fast action rod so that you can cast sinking lines or sinktip lines. I like Galvan reels. Congrats on the personal best trout!

Upvote 0

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat Name
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
Pretty sweet looking trout there Curtis, Ive been talking about fly fishing for the big game fish all year long im itching myself to get a set up. I was thinking of the GLoomis Rods and Reels.

Upvote 0
May 18, 2005
San Diego, College Area
Name
K.O.
Boat Name
17' Boston Whaler "Yahoo Boy"
nice feeesh, bro.

hey bossman, I'm looking for a 2 weight and was recommended a 002 sage txl 2, or something like that ... any recommendations on where to shop in SD? I don't know that rod, it may be the 4 bill specie that won't work with my son learning to FF this vacation ... I need something shorter and gamier, small stream ...

Upvote 0

mansonengc

Aug 5, 2006
Jamul
Name
Steve
Boat Name
Crownline 24'
If you're looking at getting your first rod & reel I would consider a 9' - 5 wt. Its large enough for that 4lber in a lake, and small enough for most streams. I have all weights and its my go to for almost all conditions unless I know the water and want to fish it with a 3, 4 or 6 wt. Its also large enough for bass. You want a 9fter for mending in the streams. I prefer Sage rods. I also bought a couple of Temple Fork 5wts a few years back for my wife and daughter. On a recent trip I used one I was lending my sons friend and found it to cast very well. You can find some very good deals on Ebay. As far as reels go its different for fly fishing as compared to spinning or bait casting as you don't need a reel with major drag qualities for that size. A lot of times you will line the fish in. I would invest more $ in the rod and get a decent reel for now. I have several Orvis Battenkills that were only $50 when I bought them a dozen years ago. I have caught 22" 4lbers on the San Juan in heavy current and they perform more than adequately when I've needed to put the fish on the reel. Again check out Ebay for reels. Do a little research on the manufacturers website to get to know the model being sold. Ross and Abel also make great reels. As far as line goes, Rio makes a great weight forward floating line for river fishing. If you are going to also streamer fish in the lakes you will also want a sinking tip line. Now you will need a second spool. One with floating line for river fishing, the other with the sink tip line for deep fishing the lakes. Just another reason to buy a decent but not too expensive reel. Sometimes the spare spools cost almost as much as the reel. Good luck!

Upvote 0
May 18, 2005
San Diego, College Area
Name
K.O.
Boat Name
17' Boston Whaler "Yahoo Boy"
thanks Steve. I should've given a little more info ... I've got an 8 footer that I think is a five, and you're right, it's great for most everything ... learned to fly fish throwin' poppers for bass and big bluegill .... have dragged it with me through puberty, college and now married life with kids. Pfluger reel, wt forward, I mostly nymph fish now. Need another spool, but love not slappin' the water with a dry fly ... it'll be my son's first fly fishing experience. We fished small creeks last year and I remember flippin' a roll cast in the tree branch above one time and thinking, a shorter pole would be nice .... I mean, what's another pole, no one will ever notice in the plethora across the garage ceiling ....

another rod and reel combo is probably what we need .... honey, I need another club in the bag, that's all it is ....

Upvote 0