1st boat project- Skipjack 20

tuna taxi

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 11, 2004
Name
Jorge
Boat
20' Skipjack
I borrowed this little 12v fuel pump from my neighbor and my brother was able to get a hold of a 55 gallon drum from his job for me. The pump took about 2hrs to get all of the fuel out and once it was all in the drum i put up an add on Craigslist and in BD, it was gone within a week. I’ll send you details on the pump, maybe you can find a similar one online.

8836B4B0-F168-42BD-BFA8-A34B91D46B86.jpeg

Reactions: HighRootz

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
Gas doesnt smell bad at all. I realized I don't have enough gas containers to hold it all. I had visions of Cheech & Chong with a trash can full of gas LOL
I'm gonna look into a 55 gal drum to store it. Hell, I may even sale it on FB, $20 for 20 gal

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
So finally got around to draining the fuel tank, had about 30 gallons of old fuel. It was dark piss yellow, the kind you piss out in the morning after drinking 3 days straight with little to no water lol. Didn't have a long enough hose so I had to pump by hand and fill a 5 gallon gas pail and dump that in a 55 gal drum. Since I was already going, I decided to pull the fuel tank and get clean all the crud under it. Didn't have a cherry picker, that would of made things hell of a lot easier but I channeled my inner ancient pyramid slave builder and was able to work it out by myself. Bottom wasnt too rusty but did have its rust spots where it was welded. That being said, is it possible to salvage this tank or just take measurements and get a new one fabricated then paint that black stuff over it? Is there a place is SD that will come pick up this old fuel? Also, since I got the gauges and helm off, is there a place to get a new helm console fabricated?
20181221_163835.jpg
20181221_163841.jpg
20181221_162025.jpg
20181221_162030.jpg
20181221_162047.jpg
20181221_162648.jpg
I'll get better pics in the morning of the underside of the fuel tank. For now, I'm gonna enjoy this beer and spliff while I plot my next moves

Reactions: One_Leg

willit float

Jun 7, 2008
South Cal
Name
Em
Boat
20' Livesay Offshore Utility
The tanks I removed from my boat had layers of yellowish dried yellow film, crumbs and dried varnish looking stuff on the inside.

Last edited:

willit float

Jun 7, 2008
South Cal
Name
Em
Boat
The Fuel tank area photo showing the bulk head towards the front/helm shows two same size holes.
Are those from the original tank or fuel compartment vents? If they are vents, are they connected to ducting ?

Last edited:

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
The Fuel tank area photo showing the bulk head towards the front/helm shows two same size holes.
Are those from the original tank or fuel compartment vents? If they are vents, are they connected to ducting ?
At 1st, I thought it was where the original fuel tank lined up but upon further inspection, they look like vents, there is white ducting inside. I had to grab a extractor socket wrench for some of these rusted, rounded bolts, gonna see if I can pull up the deck near the helm when I get a chance either tomorrow or after Christmas. Harbor Freight was sold out on impact screwdrivers/sockets, I'm gonna pick one up as soon as they restock to help with removing the arch/rod holder. I was gonna get in her today and pull the deck/work but my buddy invited me fishing so I took the opportunity to get on the water for a few hours today

willit float

Jun 7, 2008
South Cal
Name
Em
Boat
At 1st, I thought it was where the original fuel tank lined up but upon further inspection, they look like vents, there is white ducting inside. I had to grab a extractor socket wrench for some of these rusted, rounded bolts, gonna see if I can pull up the deck near the helm when I get a chance either tomorrow or after Christmas. Harbor Freight was sold out on impact screwdrivers/sockets, I'm gonna pick one up as soon as they restock to help with removing the arch/rod holder. I was gonna get in her today and pull the deck/work but my buddy invited me fishing so I took the opportunity to get on the water for a few hours today
Yea, I’m just curious to see if they were ducted vents. My boat tanks that were enclosed under the deck didn’t seem to have any real open area outside the tank venting except there were openings that may have acted as a sorta vent system. My replacement current tank has minimal outside tank area good venting. Of course it has the actual plummed vent line that is correct. I gotta check that out better.

Last edited:

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
Yea, I’m just curious to see if they were ducted vents. My boat tanks that were enclosed under the deck didn’t seem to have any real open area outside the tank venting except there were openings that may have acted as a sorta vent system. My replacement current tank has minimal outside tank area good venting. Of course it has the actual plummed vent line that is correct. I gotta check that out better.
I'm gonna give her a good look thru when I have time, just got word my buddy going out again for some rockfish early morning so I'm on board. Nothing beats holiday traffic and crowds like fishing open waters LOL
Gives me a chance at redemption, lost a monster tonight, snapped my hook
20181222_171955.jpg

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
So this morning while getting dressed to go fishing, I started thinking of things to start working on next to be on course for the new year. I decided to call off fishing to get in her and continue chipping away at her. Was able to get majority of the wiring out as well as disconnect the throttle/upholstery. I was also able to get the 2 rusted deck bolts out with the extraction socket, boy was they bad.
20181223_143608.jpg
20181223_143601.jpg
20181223_162300.jpg
20181223_163400.jpg
Should have all the wiring out by Wednesday and then it's on to tackle the arch/rod holder and windshield. Once the arch and windshield is off, only thing left on her would be the outdrive housing on the transom. Slowly but surely

stank

May 16, 2005
Norco, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
None
Be careful, if fishing is cutting into your workload, it’s time to reduce your workload...

pounder224

Every alley needs a long, tall Sally
Jan 11, 2006
Monrovia, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
A work in progress...
Thanks Bob, I will grab some pb blaster in the morning and spray down those nuts and bolts. As for the upholstery glue, I don't want to use something harsh like a goof off, would acetone work to take it off?
Home Depot sells a stripper called Citristrip, it's not too harsh and removed the upholstery glue on our project.

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
Home Depot sells a stripper called Citristrip, it's not too harsh and removed the upholstery glue on our project.
Thanks bud. I'm gonna grab a gallon or 2 and start removing all the old glue. Right now I'm in the process of removing the deck and thinking about raising it a couple inches to make it self bailing. I'll have pics here in a few, she's all covered up cuz the rain

Reactions: brokeass boater

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
Thanks bud. I'm gonna grab a gallon or 2 and start removing all the old glue. Right now I'm in the process of removing the deck and thinking about raising it a couple inches to make it self bailing. I'll have pics here in a few, she's all covered up cuz the rain
Used the eraser wheel for removing the glue on mine.
Tedious but worked, goof off did nothing to pentrate it. I also used oven cleaner which did a decent job. Let it soak for a while then hit it with a plastic scraper

ABN Rubber Eraser Wheel 4” Inch Pad & Adapter 1-Pack – Pinstripe, Adhesive Remover, Vinyl Decal, Graphics Removal Tool
$10.69
Amazon.com

1413705_88d9cde49040ed6ab1503f5ce239f9d5.jpg 1413706_f5336fc0c9e17ba8e74ea5f5544e5a23.jpg 1413707_30f8aa3be5b9ac433e2ef4c04c857614.jpg

Last edited:

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
Used the eraser wheel for removing the glue on mine.
Tedious but worked, goof off did nothing to pentrate it. I also used oven cleaner which did a decent job. Let it soak for a while then hit it with a plastic scraper

ABN Rubber Eraser Wheel 4” Inch Pad & Adapter 1-Pack – Pinstripe, Adhesive Remover, Vinyl Decal, Graphics Removal Tool
$10.69
Amazon.com

View attachment 991933 View attachment 991934 View attachment 991935
Oh bro thank you for this. Once it clears up, I'm about to go to town on the old upholstery glue

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Wouldn’t oven cleaner be detrimental to the glass? That’s powerful shit!

Kingfisher13

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 6, 2018
Oregon
Name
Jeff Fox
Boat
22 Osprey Northwind
There were pipes running up to the scoops on the gunnel in my SJ. I think this was was to vent the tank and engine area ( all one space in my boat when I started). Don't recall them being on the blower.