willit float

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 7, 2008
South Cal
Name
Em
Boat
20' Livesay Offshore Utility
That sounds about right. By the looks of it, it seems like one fabricated piece that connects to the deck. I think it's all connected-from the gunnel to the engine and fuel compartments to the lip in the middle of the deck. I hope someone here has a answer on a easier way to pull it up to get a good look at the stringers and what's going on under the deck
Here is a link to one of my albums on this site that shows some of what I did to my own boat deck. It's not that hard just one heck of a lot of work. Check out the photos. https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/media/albums/20-livesay-utility.6391/

Reactions: HighRootz

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
I read thru the post pretty fast so don't know if I may have missed some points. One, your tank is probably around 65 gals. and a I/O will be about 2.0-2.5 mpg. Is that enough fuel to get you to your fish spots?. A outboard conversion will get you much better mileage, and you'll have a deck of a boat of much bigger size. Adding a bigger tank is a major cost and there probably is not room for it anyways, just something to think about I bring this up because you don't want to go down this path and not be able to fish the areas you spoke of. Money is always the compass we follow and you'll have to call your own fouls about a repower. You'll spend more and will take more time then you think on this sled. Your already into glassing and coring that you did not really know of to start. Fear not my friend, its all doable and you'll be very proud of your finished boat, but learn from others mistakes and you'll be time and money ahead, your asking great questions already. Your present skills and ability to learn and how handy you are have a big impact on a project like this. Your deck is a liner dropped in as a single piece, fiber glassed to the hull side. If it is separating, grind down those areas and glass/ resin it back. Get it faired and prime/paint. Epoxy would be my choice, but you'll need epoxy paint for it to stick. Leave those glue areas exposed for now, let weather exposure start to degrade the glue it as you have a long list of others things to do, come back to it a little latter. If you have coring delaminating under your deck in places, you can cut those areas out and patch in place with new coring. Then coat the entire deck with a new non skid and paint. I did this myself on my Skippy. Your cap has coring around it. Rot around the rail screws and any other holes drilled into it is very common. DO NOT CUT THE CAP,,, to replace the coring. DO NOT LEAVE IT either and just glass and paint. Get you a muli tool saw, cut the coring out from the underside, replace the coring, use thickened epoxy with silica, think peanut butter,, and place, you can use the existing screw holes to snug it in place as it cures. Glass over the repair with epoxy/glass, no need to fair and paint here. I show a lot of this on my build thread I posted here on BD, good luck, these are great boats and worth bringing back to life,,,gregg

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
That sounds about right except, he likely needs to replace the fuel tank. Painting the over epoxy is not a problem you just need to use an epoxy primer. I would do the repairs in epoxy. What kind of mileage are they getting on 20ft Skippies with outboards? You are likely to see about 2.5 Mpg with a 4.3L outdrive. I have a 5.7L it gets about 2.15 Knts/gal. You can increase the size of the fuel tank, but it will cost you the fish hold. That's not so good. If you go with a 4.3L, you might be able to extend the tank toward the engine a bit. It might get you 10-15 gal more.

Last edited:

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
Over 3.0-3.5 with outboards from reading others post that did the conversion. I think a recent post here on BD was a 24' open getting that. I thought the OP said the fuel tank was already replaced? I have no idea about those fishing spots he talked about, like the distance, its something to think about on a smaller skiff with smaller tanks. My 24 w/ the Pilothouse gets 2.0-2.5 inshore and here running around the Delta. Loaded with 350lbs ice and gear, crew of 4 for a Tuna run is about 1.8 as a average. I have a Floscan 7000 and it has been nuts on, really love the gauge. Another tip, shop for a bulk price on sandpaper, 40 grit up to 180, you'll go through the stuff pretty fast and HD and Ace nickel and dime the shit out of you for that. I also go to the Dollar store for paint brushes and plastic mixing containers, and measuring cups. It's cheaper to throw .33 cent paint brush away then buy Acetone and messing around cleaning resin off a paint brush. You'll need really good paint brushes for topcoat painting if your doing the roll and tip method, that will take some practice, I like spraying paint. I like the 20's with a outboard, killer little sleds that do it all,,,gregg

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
The spots he's mentioned are relatively close. With the current fuel capacity at 2 mpg, he could hit pretty much all the popular local spots without a problem.

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
Heres a pic of the fuel tank. I do need to pull her up and clean out all the debris under and around the sides. I really only plan on fishing the local kelp beds, 9 mile and when I'm comfortable with her, take her out to Clemente island(launch from Oceanside). SO far today I've been having one eye on a sick nephew and
20181211_152026.jpg
20181211_141217.jpg
20181211_143436.jpg
20181211_143451.jpg
20181211_152013.jpg
the other eye pulling parts in the cabin to get her veins ready for the new gauges, helm and throttle. I'm gonna be loading up on wire spools once I get all the new mandatory electronics I want- VHF radio, antenna, fish finder/sonor/GPS, thru hull temp/speed transducer, new nav/deck lights. I know a lot of these things are above my pay grade but with a very helpful community here, the hull truth, iBoat and YouTube, I can probably tackle the easier to moderate stuff myself and then probably pay to get certain things installed professionally. It's only up from here.

20181211_152026.jpg 20181211_141217.jpg 20181211_143436.jpg 20181211_143451.jpg 20181211_152013.jpg 15445719358488505370079445999589.jpg

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
yea, pull every wire and start new Use tinned wire and heat shrink connections, bus bars and terminal strips. Take your time and plan, we all have been there,,,gregg

wiring 1.jpg wiring 2.jpg

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
That is a SPL of wire!
I would pull the tank and check it on all sides.
That said, it's unusual. it looks like SS! Heavy, but It should be in great condition maybe. As for those electronics, they look original. Dump them all! I would avoid adding a tru hole PU. I have one and it did not work much better than the transom mount one. Another point, if you are not going anywhere you might want to pass on the outboard conversion. That extra 1 MPG is going to cost you big bucks. But note, we are talking about a 40% improvement 2.5 to 3.5 is no joke. I'm not sure it's true but it sounds good. At 65 gal and 2.15 mpg your range is limited to about 46 miles one way. You are not going to SCI. If you add a 12 gal aux tank you have a 55 mile range and you can get there but it's iffy. At 3.5 MPG, its no problem. You have a 75 mile range! You are good to go anywhere other than the outer banks. Here is the other part, if you have the space you can pick up a running boat with a 4.3 and outdrive for under 2K for the swap. If you want to go outboard 2K will get you a bracket maybe attached to the boat if you install it. For that 3.5 MPG, you are going to need a recent vintage motor. DI fuel 2 or 4 stroke. You will need a 175 to 250 Hp. That's going to cost real money! If not, let me know and I will buy it!

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
That is a SPL of wire!
I would pull the tank and check it on all sides.
That said, it's unusual. it looks like SS! Heavy, but It should be in great condition maybe. As for those electronics, they look original. Dump them all! I would avoid adding a tru hole PU. I have one and it did not work much better than the transom mount one. Another point, if you are not going anywhere you might want to pass on the outboard conversion. That extra 1 MPG is going to cost you big bucks. But note, we are talking about a 40% improvement 2.5 to 3.5 is no joke. I'm not sure it's true but it sounds good. At 65 gal and 2.15 mpg your range is limited to about 46 miles one way. You are not going to SCI. If you add a 12 gal aux tank you have a 55 mile range and you can get there but it's iffy. At 3.5 MPG, its no problem. You have a 75 mile range! You are good to go anywhere other than the outer banks. Here is the other part, if you have the space you can pick up a running boat with a 4.3 and outdrive for under 2K for the swap. If you want to go outboard 2K will get you a bracket maybe attached to the boat if you install it. For that 3.5 MPG, you are going to need a recent vintage motor. DI fuel 2 or 4 stroke. You will need a 175 to 250 Hp. That's going to cost real money! If not, let me know and I will buy it!
Thanks bud, I think I needed someone to explain some range before I got in over my head. I've never been to fish SCI so it was always on my radar. Right now I'm gonna go the IO route, it will cost me cheaper to get her back in the water but I do have plans on converting her to a outboard within the next few years. Basically looking at getting her wet and me comfortable in her before I really open her up and take her out in the open waters. As for my fuel tank, can I coat it with some kind of paint or epoxy to keep it from corrosion? I've read about a product called coal tar epoxy used on tanks in aluminum boats but not too sure if it would apply to a boat like mine. @Arima-bob, I would pay @brokeass boater twice to install something that pretty in my boat lol

Reactions: brokeass boater

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....

tuna taxi

Jun 11, 2004
Name
Jorge
Boat
20' Skipjack
Thanks bud, I think I needed someone to explain some range before I got in over my head. I've never been to fish SCI so it was always on my radar. Right now I'm gonna go the IO route, it will cost me cheaper to get her back in the water but I do have plans on converting her to a outboard within the next few years. Basically looking at getting her wet and me comfortable in her before I really open her up and take her out in the open waters. As for my fuel tank, can I coat it with some kind of paint or epoxy to keep it from corrosion? I've read about a product called coal tar epoxy used on tanks in aluminum boats but not too sure if it would apply to a boat like mine. @Arima-bob, I would pay @brokeass boater twice to install something that pretty in my boat lol
When I pulled the tank on my 20 it had that black tar stuff on the sides, I assumed that it was some sort of anti-corrosion but never looked into it, I guess I was right.

As far as the wiring goes or anything else that you are installing..........if you can do it yourself. Not only will it save you a ton of money but it will educate you and make you very knowledgeable on the ins and outs of your boat, knowing how things are wired and how they work is something you can't afford to not know.................at least that's my opinion.

willit float

Jun 7, 2008
South Cal
Name
Em
Boat
20' Livesay Offshore Utility
When I pulled the tank on my 20 it had that black tar stuff on the sides, I assumed that it was some sort of anti-corrosion but never looked into it, I guess I was right.

As far as the wiring goes or anything else that you are installing..........if you can do it yourself. Not only will it save you a ton of money but it will educate you and make you very knowledgeable on the ins and outs of your boat, knowing how things are wired and how they work is something you can't afford to not know.................at least that's my opinion.
Exactly

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20

Very true brother. You should see how many windows I got open on my phone browser and laptop with different forums, boat building sites, YouTube channels, etc. I also bought the Selco manual for the year of my outdrive, that will help me in my quest to rebuild it. As for the wiring, I would love to learn the whole process and actually got a YouTube video of explaining the process. Hell, I am actually thinking of taking on a apprenticeship at a local boatyard to get the knowledge of certain things and have access to the yard to do the repairs if needed. I'm actually about to start rebuilding the doghouse with new wood, insulation and a fresh paint job once I fill in all the crazing. I really do appreciate everyone on this thread with the helpful tips and advice. This boat has a lot of history on this site and I'm ready as I'm sure others are ready to see the progress and her back in the water

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Not Sure, but from the pic the tank seems to have spot welds on it and appears to be SS not aluminum. I would remove it and inspect it. The hoses are most likely shot and need replacing. As for getting it on the water, there's planing and then there is reality! I picked up a crappy looking Outrage and planned replace the fuel tank and to get it on the water in 3 months. It first hit the water last week after about 9 months of rehab! Expect your timeline to expand.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
I see your doner boat onthe OC CL for $650 u might want to call them

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
This almost makes me want to dig my old 20’ Skippy out of the weeds and start another project. Almost...

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
Not Sure, but from the pic the tank seems to have spot welds on it and appears to be SS not aluminum. I would remove it and inspect it. The hoses are most likely shot and need replacing. As for getting it on the water, there's planing and then there is reality! I picked up a crappy looking Outrage and planned replace the fuel tank and to get it on the water in 3 months. It first hit the water last week after about 9 months of rehab! Expect your timeline to expand.
I see your doner boat onthe OC CL for $650 u might want to call them
Thanks bud, I'm in the process of pulling the tank out, should have it out here soon. I totally understand and have come to grips of this whole process and my timeline to getting her on the water is already in the double digits. I've scoped out a few donors as well as priced some remanufactured and blocks to rebuild. I may take the cheaper route for the motor but peace of mind with at least some kind of warranty isn't bad either. I plan on attacking all the cosmetic stuffs 1st then the wiring and by then hopefully I've settled on a motor and drive and get that put in last. If I attack this properly and with think this through, I'm expecting this to be done the way I want her by early spring 2020. I know it may seen far off to some, but I'm learning as I go and want to gain as much knowledge throughout this process. Who knows, if I come out of this a changed man, I may take on another project, but on a smaller level and put the knowledge gained from this baby to good use

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
I used these guys for my wire and connectors, good price for bulk, fast ship. Also West Marine is price matching once again and that includes online vendors. You show them the online price using your phone. Follow the ABYC color code where applicable, download the chart, and wire size. Wire size is important and includes the length of run = add pos+ side and neg- side for a total length. Bus bars and terminals really help keeping things organized,,,Gregg
https://tinnedmarinewire.com/wire/

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
I used these guys for my wire and connectors, good price for bulk, fast ship. Also West Marine is price matching once again and that includes online vendors. You show them the online price using your phone. Follow the ABYC color code where applicable, download the chart, and wire size. Wire size is important and includes the length of run = add pos+ side and neg- side for a total length. Bus bars and terminals really help keeping things organized,,,Gregg
https://tinnedmarinewire.com/wire/
I've actually read up on that and learned about the voltage drop, etc. So far, I've got orange, purple, red, green, white and light blue colored wires. The AWG range from 10, 12, 14, and 18. Its been hard getting these big catchers mitts in this tight spot to pull the dash panel lol

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
You should pile up some cash for a donner if you have a place to put one.
It is by for you cheapest route. Most boats are trailer queens. They don't see many hours so the engines should be good unless they have had an exhaust system failure. This way you get all of the parts, gauges, matching out-drive and prop. Take what you need, gut and scrap the rest.If the trailer is good, the whole thing could be a wash. Check the compression, and oil in the engine and out drive. If that goes OK, drag it home and get it started up. If that seems like a go replace the exhaust system and the fluids. She is ready to install.

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
That's the thing, I don't have a spot to park a donor boat and pull everything from it. The route I'm most likely gonna take for the engine and drive will be to order a remanufactured one that comes with a warranty. The process I'm going thru now is just getting her prepped for the new wires, batteries, motor and drive. I figure once I'm done with all of the cosmetic work and the helm makeover, I should be ready to to paint by late summer/early fall. Then during the winter I should be ready to drop the motor and fine tune her before spring/summer 2020

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
Started to prep everything to pull this bad boy out and lo and behold! 3/4 full of old gas LOL now I gotta halt work to make a siphon and get rid of all this old fuel
15447450285903210623957405812412.jpg