1st annual Baja trailer boat trip a success!

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by King of the Rogue, Nov 23, 2018.

1. King of the Rogue

King of the Rogue Newbie

Name:
    Jordan
    Boat:
    Open 20’ Sled w/150 Yamaha pump / Drifter
    Just got home from what is to be the first annual trailer boat fishing trip to Baja. We had good weather and a great time. We learned a lot on this trip as far as travel, camps,fishing and weather. Met some really nice people, and can’t wait to go back!

Starting in southern Oregon with my 20ft Alumaweld in tow we took mex 1 down and Mex 5 back. What we learned...the roads are narrow and driving at night is less than ideal do to all of the heavy truck traffic. The 5 will be the way when it is finished some day. The other truck in the convoy lost a tire on the 1 but luckily there was a shoulder to pull off at the spot it happened and no other traffic was in the area at the time. Other than that we lost a trailer Bering do to loosing a dust cap but no other flat tires or scary events.

For fish camp we stayed at Daggets. What we learned....it’s secure with patrols and they have showers, WiFi and freezers.

For the fishing we brought everything. What we learned....Even when the water cools the top water bite can still be good, even had a Dorado right to the boat before it got off. Almost everything bites a 4 1/2 oz led flutter jig. I used an Okuma 6ft 60lb rod with an Andros 5ii for Yellow tail and trolling and was happy how it worked out. We did learn that when you go long in a sled boat bring extra gas...more than 10 gallons extra if you get into a good top water troll bite...lesson learned, and thanks to a group of KTM adventure riders for the extra 2 gallons.

Met several guides including Igor, Joel, both were booked the day we wanted to go long. Did one guide day of fishing with Enrique and crushed it. I would book a trip with him with out hesitation.

Over all a great trip! Already starting to plan next years.

Thanks to Jim at camp and a Idaho glen for the pointers!

5792C69A-4EFE-4FEE-A7B6-1339CDF09F6B.jpeg 719DC52B-BB5D-40F0-8518-34FED2DE67BD.jpeg 4D97D7C2-D835-44F0-A7AE-DB16E8527CD8.jpeg B71358D6-9F9B-4E8B-A23D-0842894308A9.jpeg C4A751D4-478C-4F36-93A5-3B550C251F2A.jpeg FAE14663-37EB-465A-B129-8C8D33501153.jpeg D2621FC7-EA9A-4812-80FA-79E17BCEE7F6.jpeg

2. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    bobrehfuss
    Boat:
    Parker 2520
    Sounds like a great first trip of many more to come. Always something to learn when fishing and especially in Baja. Sounds like you got the right attitude to have years of baja fun. Congrats on a fun trip!

3. stank

stank Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    Nice trip, glad it went well...

King of the Rogue likes this.
  4. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    You either did some research or were lucky to meet most of the best guides down there in BOLA. Daggets are a really nice family and do have excellent accommodations.
    I hope we run into you down there some day. My first trip was over 20 years ago and I have visited BOLA several times a year just about every year.
    Thanks for the report Jordan and your passion for this place that so many of us love.

noslow64, meebo, denis and 3 others like this.
  5. michael e. bingham

michael e. bingham Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Pura Vida
    Boat:
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Good job , baja is a favorite of many

6. noslow64

noslow64 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    sold it
    glad you had a great trip, can't go wrong with Daggetts, thats my go to place & Enrique is a great person & captain, always puts us on the fish. can't wait for our july trip !!!!!!!!

Jack Silveira, meebo and denis like this.