19th Annual "AFTER THANKSGIVING INVITATIONAL HALIBUT CLASSIC" 2018 IS ON!!!

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
On another note, we are just a tad over a month away from tournament day, so round up your crew (or in Ricks case your cats :D), and make plans for a cool fun day on the water.....followed afterwards with some food, weigh-ins, winners announced, and then some sponsor giveaways for team anglers.

The unknown fisherman:p:
they're more like wild jackass', not cats.

Reactions: ?? fisherman
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Ok, We're now a little less than a month away from the tournament, so it's getting close now!

Keep in mind, to get the early entry deal which will save a team some $$, those entries will NEED to be received or postmarked by 11/14/18. So don't wait till the last minute to get those mailed out, because we do strictly go by the postmarked date on the envelope.

All entries received or postmarked after 11/14/18 will need to abide by the adjusted late entry fee.

With that said, looking forward to seeing a bunch of the regular teams once again, as well as any new teams wishing to come fish the Halibut Classic. It's a great fun vibe, both before, during and after the tournament, and our host and headliner Dana Landing Tackle always has some food cooking for you guys when you come back in for the weigh-ins and giveaways.

So if you're a regular past team, then you know the drill....and if you are someone looking to put together a team and get in on this, you are more than welcome! Get the teams together and try your best to get your entries in before the 14th to save some money.

All info in regards to the tournament, rules and entries, ca be found on the tournament website below....
www.halibutclassic.com

Upvote 0

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
I'm in on a new to me sled . Will get my stuff in the mail this week .
Any plans to make Tshirts ?
My 2009 ediition is getting faded

Upvote 0

soul troller

Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
Just busting your chops Mike. I know I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate you putting this thing together year after year. Definitely something we all look forward to . Hopefully someday I will hold the 1st place check !

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Thanks Lou, I appreciate that.

I've had high hopes of someday winning this thing as well, but it's nearly impossible for me to fish it with all things going on come tournament day....so for quite a number of years now, ive sat out.

Im super competetive, and love Challenges, so it kills me seeing all you guys heading out after the group photo shot and roll call. Hopefully again someday, I can come back and fish it!!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Is there a page for captains looking for anglers? Have the boat and will be down in SoCal this weekend.

There is no page/thread on that yet Anthony, but thanks for the reminder, as I do usually try to do that since I always seem to get both guys with boats, and others without boats who are looking to fill the gap and fish the tournament.

Im on the run right now, but I will work on posting a thread for this by tomorrow.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
On another note, just another reminder to all teams. There is roughly 10 days left to get your Early Entries in to get in on the Early Entry price. Early Entries MUST be postmarked or received by November 14th. All Entries received after that date will need to be at the adjusted late fee price.....so get those entries in.

Entry forms can be printed up from the tournament website, which is...
www.halibutclassic.com

Upvote 0
Jul 10, 2018
Lake Tahoe
Name
Anthony
Boat
Century 2200
There is no page/thread on that yet Anthony, but thanks for the reminder, as I do usually try to do that since I always seem to get both guys with boats, and others without boats who are looking to fill the gap and fish the tournament.

Im on the run right now, but I will work on posting a thread for this by tomorrow.

Sounds good, I posted in the trip planning for now

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Reminder....

9 days to get the discounted early entries in.

Good times, good fun, good eats provided by Dana Landing Tackle at weigh-ins, prize giveaways, and best of all, a decent shot at going home with a good chunk of extra Xmas spending money.

Grab your teams, and get those entries in!:D

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Morning reminder....
Just 7 more days to get those early entries in at the discounted price.

Teams can still enter after the 14th of November, but must do so at the adjusted late fee entry price.

It's getting closer guys. ;)

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Heads up....

Besides being able to print out an entry and rules page from here....
www.halibutclassic.com

You also have the option of picking up an entry form and rules page from either Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay, or Squidco in the Midway district.

Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
Entry form and money order dropped at the post office today Mike. Cant wait hoping smooth seas and a light breeze come tourney day.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Entry form and money order dropped at the post office today Mike. Cant wait hoping smooth seas and a light breeze come tourney day.

Good deal Tom, I will notify you and others when entries are received.

Stoked to see you back again this year!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Ok, we are getting down to the wire with just days left to get in on the discounted early entry fees.

There are just 5 days until the early entry deadline is past. Remember, the early entries must be received or postmarked by November 14th.

We go strictly by the postmarked date, so if you mail it on the 14th, you're taking a chance, as it might get postmarked on the 14th, or maybe later, but we will go by the postmarked date.

All entries postmarked and received after the 14th will need to be at the adjusted entry price, so get those entries in and save some $.

Entry forms, information and rules can all be found on the tournament website, which is....
www.halibutclassic.com

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Ok, got a bunch of entries in yesterday, and expecting more on Mon & Tues.

Notices have been sent to all teams of entries received, so if you sent one in and think I should have gotten it by now, then this is a heads up that I haven't.

it's entirely up to you guys who are looking to get in on the early entry price, to make sure they get to me in the timeline given for early entries.

Entries mailed at mid day or earlier, will most likely get a postmark for that day mailed (no guarantee on that though), and from there, they usually take 1 to 2 days to reach me. This is purely going off my experience of receiving numerous entries over the years.

The early entry date is winding down and will end on Wednesday, but even so, there will still be time after Weds to get in on the tournament.....so round up your teams and get those entries in. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Well I forgot that today is a holiday for some, so no mail delivery today.

Wednesday is the cutoff for getting in on the early entry price, but for those of you who still want in on that deal, there's still hope.

The good news is, you can go down to Dana Landing Tackle located on Mission Bay, and pick up an entry form, fill it out and pay right there. This MUST be done either today, tomorrow or at the latest Wednesday the 14th in order to get in on the discounted early bird entry price.

Dana Landing Tackle has been gracious and cool enough to offer this up for you last minute guys LOL.

Johnny at Dana Tackle told me they would prefer it be paid in cash, but if need be, they can do a credit card transaction as well. He also told me it's very likely that they will be serving up some killer pulled pork sandwiches for the teams n anglers just like last year..... and let me tell ya....that stuff was Delish!!!

Ok, this is important!! Any of you who decide to submit and pay your entry at Dana Landing, will NEED to notify me of the day you do so, and keep your receipt on hand for proof of payment. Notifying me must be done....very very important.

Starting Thursday, the new standard entry fee applys, and the discount price will no longer be in effect.

Dont forget, polish up yer boats, pull in yer fenders, and be ready to look up at the bridge, as Frank (MoBetta) and his son Nate will be taking killer pictures of the group of teams as well as individual bitchen overhead shots of various teams. The overhead pics these guys get are incredible.....just super cool pictures!!

Radio giveaways, hanging with good buds, good odds of going home with a big check, filling your gut with some good eats, and watching the suspensful weigh-ins......good times and it's almost here....

See ya guys there!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo Betta
Upvote 0

soul troller

Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
Other good news is there will be some huge tide swings and lots of current on tourney day. Weather forecast is also good right now.
Got a feeling the butts will be chewing ...............

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Ok guys, today is the last day for the discounted early entries. And even if you mail them today, it's a crap shoot on getting it stamped/postmarked for the 14th.

For those who want to make sure they still get in on the early entry price, my suggestion would be this.....

Go down to Dana Landing Tackle (on Mission Bay) today, and either bring in your completed entry form that you printed from the tournament website, or you can pick up an entry form at their shop.

Pay your entry with cash (the preferred way), or you can pay with a credit card. Keep your receipt, and MAKE SURE to notify me asap that you paid and put in your entry at Dana Landing. It would also be helpful to get the name of the person who takes care of your payment and transaction.

All entries mailed after today, as well as those that are postmarked after the 14th will be at the adjusted standard price, as the discount early fee ends today.

Yep, tide swing looks good...should be good times, good friends, good eats, some swag, bitchen boat pics from MoBetta n crew and a few anglers going home with some good $$

One more thing, Shirt orders are going in either today or tomorrow, and this year you guys have a choice of white or black, and also long sleeve (if you wish) for $3 extra.

I often end up eating it on shirts, so although I will always have a few extras made, it will be a limited amount on sizes and colors after those who already placed orders..... so once we run out, were out.

Still plenty of time to enter! ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I sent my check today. I ordered 1 long sleeve white in large, 2 black xl short sleeve , and 2 white xl short sleeve. get paypal next year.

Haha....you're killing me with this paypal stuff bro. :D

Of all my many friends, I think you are still the only without a cell phone, and yet you're telling me to get with it and get paypal.... that's fuuuuuuny LOL.

Just busting yer chops brother....you're one of the good guys ;)

But that paypal stuff....yeah, I know a lot of people love it and it helps them, but there are plenty that don't dig it as well. It's been known to have its issues...
https://www.merchantmaverick.com/reviews/paypal-review/#comments

Besides all that, im offering up 3 forms of easy payment, and a month in advance to do so. Checks can be mailed in, and in addition to that, there is the option of Cash or Credit Card payment at Dana Landing Tackle on Mission Bay. All those are pretty simple, and the best part, I don't need to sign up with something which requires my account to be open to something else. ;)

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
On that note, the discount early entry date is now over. Big thanks to all of you who made it in time.

The entries now are at the standard price. Please check the tournament website for all info pertaining to the tournament, as well as rules and entries. All info can be found here....
www.halibutclassic.com

Thanks!

Upvote 0