1991 bayliner trophy 2352 outboard conversion.

John Stidman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
Also I had the bracket made between a single and double flotatiin to support the extra weight of the outboard kicker and 50 gal bait tank im puttinv in cockpit. Might even upgrade from 83 gal fuel tank to a 120 gal. If there is any more beefing up needed I can still do it. Maybe some bolted in stainless angle pieces ect to add more support. Now this is my first time doing any fiberglass work and I cant even guarantee its going to stick. I had to roll out the glass with weeny roller til it was almost dry to push air bubbles out. The tool I had bought big and small just didn't work like the videos showed. But its also held together by 100s of screws. Plus wet matt between. I used drywall screws cause they grabbed gd and since they was gonna be completely sealed they shouldn't rust. I did that as I didn't have a better way to clamp each layer. So its permanent. Hopefully it will be OK.

a7ewizard

Jun 4, 2009
SAN RAFAEL,CA USA
Name
WARREN WEISENBURG
Boat
251,PRO-LINE, WIZARD
I used a template. Placed it against the bracket and drilled holes. Then placed the template against the hull.
Once properly aligned, I drilled the mounting holes through the transom.
Then, I did a dry fit to make sure it was perfect. The backing plates worked over the bolt threads and the bolts were long enough.
I had the help of a friend for the permanent installation. It takes two people; one feeding bolts through the bracket and holding the bolt head while the other tightens the inner transom side nut.
I used 5200; never intending to ever remove the bracket. I watched a video where the installer used 4200. They also swung pencil arcs from the chines and hull corners to find the center vertical line of the transom. I snapped a chalk line from opposite corners and used a framing square down to the hull deep v.

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Thanks for the advice. I will be finding ceter of transom as well in that matter using chimes and corners ect. Technician Tuesday on you tube has that exact video doing it that way. I also have 2 tubes of 5200 I will use. Not planning to remove either. I just want to make sure my transom is beffed up and strong enough in all angles. Too, bottom, corners or anywhere else needed.

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
My next plan is to build a angle and glass it in from stringers to transom and build a battery location. That should also add more strength. I've spent alit money on everything needed. I will make sure ots plenty string before I install the motor and kicker. After I get the bracket whiles drilled ill know more of where I can put additional support. For the most part its yied into the boat sides and bottom side steps lretty gd. Thanks for any and all advice.
I would highly recommend putting in some gussets from the stringers up the transom a bit. When you think about the original design and how those stringers really were the anchor point for all the force against the boat...no matter how thick you make the transom you'll have a weak link bc the areas you've currently 'reinforced' (the sides and bottom side steps) aren't structural support on the boat like stringers and bulkheads are.

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
I would highly recommend putting in some gussets from the stringers up the transom a bit. When you think about the original design and how those stringers really were the anchor point for all the force against the boat...no matter how thick you make the transom you'll have a weak link bc the areas you've currently 'reinforced' (the sides and bottom side steps) aren't structural support on the boat like stringers and bulkheads are.

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely do that and some. After I heal up I might just glass in all the edges and stringers a few more layers and put a plate with legs bolted to bracket bolts and bolted to stringer where inboard bolted up just for the heck of it. I guess you can’t ever over do support.

John

Reactions: sbsurfer

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
I actually have a guy coming to take measurements and build me a plate that would cover the area where the outdrive hole was. With sides thar will bolt to both the transome bracket bolts and stringer with a battery tray in between. Probably aluminum or stainless. Which ever is strong, fair pricing and wont rust.

Reactions: sbsurfer

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
I actually have a guy coming to take measurements and build me a plate that would cover the area where the outdrive hole was. With sides thar will bolt to both the transome bracket bolts and stringer with a battery tray in between. Probably aluminum or stainless. Which ever is strong, fair pricing and wont rust.
My buddy did something similar in his Cabo 22 that worked out well when he did his OB conversion.

Reactions: John Stidman

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Here's an update. Would have been done if I had the use of my hands. I have a buddy helping me with most. Bracket holes drilled, dry fitted and inside engine well all glassed and gel coated. New shifters for outboard and kicker mounted. New yamaha guage installed. All the wires are gutted. Time to install bracket and support braces to stringer where the 350 bolted up. Gelcoated inside. Gotta rewire complete, install motors, plumbing and bait tank. Thru hulls ect. I dont have full use of my hands. But its not stopping me.

Attachments

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Another 1991 owner here, 2002CC. Great boats... can't wait to see your custom ride.
Thanks. Its definitely been a heck of a project. Lots of reading, videos for about a year while I started buying pretty much everything. I have about $25k maybe few more into everything. But its all going to be brand new stuff minus the motors. The kicker is low hr and the 250 is a used 2007. But I dropped it Nd broke the head . So I had it fixed and had the motor and anything inside needing fixed or anodes replelaced. Im getting pretty stoked to get complete and come down south to fish with everyone.

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Here's an update. Got the bracket mounted. First time ever using 5200 so it was different than using caulking painting a house. Didn't just wipe real easy. All the videos shown to put blue tape to leave a clean line and I didn't use it. It came out lil messy but im not concerned. Ill clean it up and when I do more gel coating ill shoot another coat. My buddy fabricated me a plate of 1/4in aluminum for backing plate. He is also going to come build me some stainless steel knee braces that will bolt up to plate and arms to old engine mount holes. I filled them in with epoxy and will put lag bolts in. Extra support in the center for sure.

Screenshot_20210120-195502_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210120-195459_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210120-195456_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210120-195453_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210120-195450_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210120-195446_Gallery.jpg

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
Cool project - great pics and info
Great hulls for Socal
I drug a 1985 2460 Trophy out of a junk pile , rebuilt her and ran 19 seasons.
Next owner refreshed her again and she is still killing fish
Always wanted to do what you're doing with the outboard.
Never once felt unsafe in that hull in all kinds of conditions .

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Cool project - great pics and info
Great hulls for Socal
I drug a 1985 2460 Trophy out of a junk pile , rebuilt her and ran 19 seasons.
Next owner refreshed her again and she is still killing fish
Always wanted to do what you're doing with the outboard.
Never once felt unsafe in that hull in all kinds of conditions .
Thanks, it took me few seasons to watch, read and much help from this site to accomplish it. I saved up buying everything for about a year before I decided to do it. I want to do it right the first time. Never did I ever think I was capable. But so many on here to help and tons of YouTube and internet searches to learn and do it. So far im happy with the decision and how its coming out.

Reactions: repo805

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Well, after fully appling 5200 and the backing plate. I tightened it up with my impact real gd. Being cold its taking a bit to dry and cure. My question is after fully tightening down I laid down and looked at the straightness of the hull v and and the bracket v. My bracket looks to be just under half inch off to left. Dry fitted many times and looked good. So will it being off center a lil bit really effect anything.

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
Granada Hills CA.
Name
Carlos
Boat
2000 21' WA Striper
Awesome thread. I'd love to do something like this but I just don't have the space :-( I have not read the entire thread but, are you replacing the fuel tank? If so, what size are you putting? Can't wait to see it on the water and killing fish!

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Awesome thread. I'd love to do something like this but I just don't have the space :-( I have not read the entire thread but, are you replacing the fuel tank? If so, what size are you putting? Can't wait to see it on the water and killing fish!
Im going to stick with the 83 gal I have in it for now. I was going to have one custom made to fill in some of the engine space but decided to leave it open for knee braces and my through hull inlets ect. More space to get to things. Im sure with the 250 yamaha 4 stroke 83 gal be plenty for now.

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
Granada Hills CA.
Name
Carlos
Boat
2000 21' WA Striper
Im going to stick with the 83 gal I have in it for now. I was going to have one custom made to fill in some of the engine space but decided to leave it open for knee braces and my through hull inlets ect. More space to get to things. Im sure with the 250 yamaha 4 stroke 83 gal be plenty for now.
It depends on how far you want to go. I go to San Clemente island and launch from Long Beach. While I can get there and come back, I wish I had more range. I have a Parker 2120 with a 150HP behind it and get 2.5 MPG. My tank is 95 gallons I believe.

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
It depends on how far you want to go. I go to San Clemente island and launch from Long Beach. While I can get there and come back, I wish I had more range. I have a Parker 2120 with a 150HP behind it and get 2.5 MPG. My tank is 95 gallons I believe.
Yeah, I understand that. But since my bracket is 250lbs, 250 motor about 560, kicker about 100lbs ill have close to 1,000lbs on back. Im sitting a 50 gal bait tank in cockpit but as close as I can behind the seats. So I'm going to wait and see what it does. I have the floor cut out and stainless steel braces so it will be easy to take out later. I am building it to be a towable boat. Ft brag for alby runs, rock fishing in morrow and salmon. And Channel Islands and Catalina. Plus tow down to diego for tunas. I want it bigger but I cant go forward unless I cut the hold between the seats. I usually don't go out past 60 miles out. Ill just have to see how gd the gpm is.

FB_IMG_1605488752066.jpg

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
Granada Hills CA.
Name
Carlos
Boat
2000 21' WA Striper
Yeah, I understand that. But since my bracket is 250lbs, 250 motor about 560, kicker about 100lbs ill have close to 1,000lbs on back. Im sitting a 50 gal bait tank in cockpit but as close as I can behind the seats. So I'm going to wait and see what it does. I have the floor cut out and stainless steel braces so it will be easy to take out later. I am building it to be a towable boat. Ft brag for alby runs, rock fishing in morrow and salmon. And Channel Islands and Catalina. Plus tow down to diego for tunas. I want it bigger but I cant go forward unless I cut the hold between the seats. I usually don't go out past 60 miles out. Ill just have to see how gd the gpm is.

View attachment 1245674
Well, great project man. Good luck and can't wait to see the final product slaying some fish!

Tranquility

Tranquility
Mar 13, 2004
Calif
Name
Bryan
Boat
Century 3200WA
Well, after fully appling 5200 and the backing plate. I tightened it up with my impact real gd. Being cold its taking a bit to dry and cure. My question is after fully tightening down I laid down and looked at the straightness of the hull v and and the bracket v. My bracket looks to be just under half inch off to left. Dry fitted many times and looked good. So will it being off center a lil bit really effect anything.
Probably fine. A picture would help.

MrBob

Donde estan los peces
Jun 28, 2020
Yorba Linda
Name
Robert Slack
Boat
na
I restore old motorcycles boats and whatever else I can get my hands on, The satisfaction you will get when you splash that boat after all the work you did Will be tenfold compared to just going out and buying the latest and greatest, Lots of hoops to go through but stay the course it will be worth it!👍

View attachment 1189273

View attachment 1189274
Now that's what I call a GARAGE!!!! Very sweet! Love the old bikes! Used to race motocross at Indian Dunes 100 years ago!

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
Now for plumbing, I am thinking about putting both the through hull screened water inlet and auto bilge on the old bilge blocks. In the pics you can see one block is thicker than the other. Pump was on thicker in front and switch was on thinner. Since only the bait pump and screen through hull will be the only thing going through. I dont see a problem. My transom mount ducer will be out of the path. Or should I keep the through hull and bilge on separate sides. My bilge don't have a separate switch. Its built in. And will 800gph be enough for bilge.

Screenshot_20210122-143241_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210122-143253_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210122-143255_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210122-143257_Gallery.jpg