Envy115

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
Hello. I haven't posted in a while. I'm a basic newbie to the fishing boat game and have done minimal work on my own boat but had a couple friends help me along the way. Besides work on the outdrive that I have to do I was told that my shifter cable, the outer coating on it was damaged and either needed to be replaced or the whole shifter cable itself I guess. I'm guessing there is an outer coating that can't be re-coated? or is that not an option? The thing is I'm a poor recently graduated college student and I have to do some work on the boat before being able to take it out this season. I have moved to San Diego and have hopes to go out to La Jolla atleast for some yellow tail in the near future. Problem is, I don't have a lot of money and am looking for a somewhat cheap way to fix this issue. I am going to have to spend alot to fix my outdrive so I'm trying to see if there is anyway to minimize on this. Is there a way to get a used shifter cable? that is just as reliable? do they go down in reliablity if used but not heavily used? I just have alot of questions and don't really know who to ask. I know I have some work to do, but I'm just waiving the flag around here hoping that some of the vets can give me some guidance or direction. The engine on the boat is an old v6 omc engine. Please feel free to reply. Thanks !!!

tony_90744

May 24, 2015
Name
Antonio Castrellon
Boat
1988 Seaswirl Sable
You must have an OMC Cobra. I parted out a 88 seaswirl in january. Also had an omc cobra. I have a like new shifter cable i can sell for cheap. I installed it in hopes of it fixing my outdrive but it was to far gonne. Let me know if your interested. I have a bunch of other parts also. Shifter box, shifter to engine cables, engine to outdrive cables, new belows, shifter cable alignment tool, working omc upper half drive, bunch of other stuff. Text me 310-946-6295 i might take a while to reply sunday but i will reply.

Envy115

Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
howdy. Thanks for the reply. My omc isn't a cobra but I do know what you're talking about. My outdrive also needs some work but all my cylinders are still good. I don't know too much about boats but am fixing up this beauty. I think that I will need the shifter cables and maybe a couple other things that if you don't need would love to get off of you if you can give me a good deal. lol im a recently graduated college guy and am learning the boat game. I just want her to be safe out in the water but doesnt need to be anything fancy. Realistically which parts do you think that I would need ? because I really know that I need to change the shifter cable because it was having some problems going into drive from neutral. damn i think the Cobra won't work I'm looking for something for an Omc Stringer 800. I could really use some help from anybody that is knowledgable as I am very new to the game. Any suggestions or help? Thanks a BUNCH!

meandmyself

Who knows
Aug 5, 2012
san jose
Name
edgar teixeira
Boat
1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
shift cables are cheap something like 40 to 50 bucks. you need to know what you have as the shift handle type, some cable have numbers on the the tubing this is normally the size and some times model number.

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
Nothing as nice as new cables when your at the helm. A quick "temporary" fix,,, if your cable connectors at the outdrive are removable,,, that can get you by is take a rubber hose with a I.D of your shift cable,, like a 3/8 fuel line as a example,, remove the cable connecters ends at the outdrive side, clamp the hose to the cable, pour about three or four tablespoons of Marvel Oil in the rubber hose and connect the hose a air compressor and blow the oil into the shift cable. Don't blow excessive oil into the shift cable. Work the cable back and forth. It should free up the cable for awhile, longer then one would think. If your cable connecters are not the removable style then this won't work. Like I said, nothing as nice as new cables, but having some options to buy some time sure helps a guy to plan his repair budget,,,gregg