trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
14' Gregor / IMP 220 Sportsman WA
Finally decided to start documenting my new project. Not so sure it'll come out as nice as the other boats I've followed here over the years but maybe it will help somebody. I've been sitting on this for close to a year and am just now getting to it. For now I'm just worried about safety items and will get on with the cosmetics in the future. The goal is to put a little tuna on it before this season is up and have it ready for lobster. The only future plans I have at the moment is losing the bottom paint, trailer upgrade, and maybe a pilot house.
Just a couple shots so far. First was to lose all the 25 yr. old fuel lines. My buddy has an aftermarket fuel tank company and he made up a hardline for me to make up over half of the 13' of fill hose I had to replace.

stern port.jpg

starboard.jpg

transom box.jpg

stern.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PassTheSoySauce

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
Fuel lines done. Originally the boat came with 13' of 1-1/2" fill hose that would cost a shit load to replace nowadays. Replace 8' of that length with 1-1/2" aluminized steel pipe that a friend made at his fuel tank shop. Cleaned it up and gave it a good dose of rubber undercarriage coating and then installed it with new hose on either end with double hose clamps at each connection.
bad hose.jpg

fuel pipe tank.jpg
fuel pipe aft.jpg

Reactions: PassTheSoySauce

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
Wow, your boat looks almost identical! Can't wait to see both our beauties (or beasts) in the water!

skillett

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
Finally decided to start documenting my new project. Not so sure it'll come out as nice as the other boats I've followed here over the years but maybe it will help somebody. I've been sitting on this for close to a year and am just now getting to it. For now I'm just worried about safety items and will get on with the cosmetics in the future. The goal is to put a little tuna on it before this season is up and have it ready for lobster. The only future plans I have at the moment is losing the bottom paint, trailer upgrade, and maybe a pilot house.
Just a couple shots so far. First was to lose all the 25 yr. old fuel lines. My buddy has an aftermarket fuel tank company and he made up a hardline for me to make up over half of the 13' of fill hose I had to replace.

View attachment 540181

View attachment 540182

View attachment 540315

View attachment 540316

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
She pretty clean looking Skillett! Couple of questions, what engine is in it....and, do you have fish boxes in the floor? Mine does not and I'm curious what is under the deck on either side of the fuel tank. Check out Pass the Soy Sauce up above, he has a fiberform that looks to be from the same mold as ours. Feel free to post any other pics of your boat on this thread.

UPDATE: the outdrive is back on after replacing the impeller and all three of the bellows...pain in the ass BTW! I passed on the exhaust bellows and opted for the exhaust "tube" that was available for the ease of installation that I read up about. Going to get the new bilge pumps mounted and plumbed this weekend and top of the tank with the deck board off to check for leaks in all the new fuel lines this weekend and try to get it on Big Bear on Tuesday after work to see if it floats.

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
It's got a 4cyl 170hp/alpha 1. I bought it almost 3 months ago. It was completely covered in dirt...black. It hadn't been in the water since 93. There is some rot in the hulls short stringers/dividers. Ive done some glass work, engine work, electrical, drained the fuel tank, starter,lower unit, trailer tires, vhf, compass, floscan, bait system all the while racing to get it out and on the bite.... since I have made trips (3) to anacappa, sant cruz and last weekend to catalina. Might go to deephole tomorrow...

Reactions: trlrtrsh67

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
It's got a 4cyl 170hp/alpha 1. I bought it almost 3 months ago. It was completely covered in dirt...black. It hadn't been in the water since 93. There is some rot in the hulls short stringers/dividers. Ive done some glass work, engine work, electrical, drained the fuel tank, starter,lower unit, trailer tires, vhf, compass, floscan, bait system all the while racing to get it out and on the bite.... since I have made trips (3) to anacappa, sant cruz and last weekend to catalina. Might go to deephole tomorrow...
What kind of fuel numbers are you getting with this setup and what kind of cruise speed and top speed? I have the 165hp 4 cyl. I haven't taken mine out yet but am really curious about fuel consumption.

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
What kind of fuel numbers are you getting with this setup and what kind of cruise speed and top speed? I have the 165hp 4 cyl. I haven't taken mine out yet but am really curious about fuel consumption.
I replied by email...its not posted here...did you get it?....

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
I replied by email...its not posted here...did you get it?....

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
Ok, sorry...Im learning, slowly...lol. My phone has been acting up today so you might get my response later... Ill respond here from now on.
I bought this boat 3moths ago. It had been sitting along time. The last time it was registered was 1993. Nothing worked. I was able to crank the motor and it sounded good cranking. (Good and even compression) Visually you needed optimistic eyes...it was rough. Many things had been taken apart and parts missing.....all the major stuff intact. Id never seen this motor, but soon found a guy who was willing to share his vast knowledge of this motor. I had never seen an internal alternator on a boat, whatless one that charges a/c and coverts to d/c. Anyway, it's literally half of a 460 BB Ford. Biggest 4cyl I've seen. Its strong, I was impressed.
To get it running I did some electrical, ignition, emptied fuel tank, repaired glassed some short stringers and dividers, bilge pump, lower unit, shift cable, cooling system, bellows, rebuilt one frozen hydraulic ram, refinish the wood trim, made new boards for the aft storage. Geeze...and a whole lot more. Next, floscan and ff,gps,chartplotter.....
The floscan hasn't been installed yet and the combo ff,gps,chartplotter is on the top of my want list so...the best I can figure is between 1.5-2 miles a gallon. In moderate seas it'll cruz 22-28 and WOT I guess 40. This is the fastest boat I've owned.
Although the boat feels like it has some weight while towing, making way thru chop it is light. It tends to slap the chop, or be slapped by the chop is more accurate. It's hull design IMO is good+. It runs well, planes quickly and is solid in turns and handles well in close quarters. Its "deep V"...or moderately deep is still very stable. Too big guys can stand at the gunwhale and you don't feel like the boat will roll over on ya...lol.
The ride is dry, as long as you aren't sitting on the transom...hiding behind the glass sometimes is good...:) I haven't been in anything more than good seas really with this boat.

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
The speeds sound good. I hope the fuel burn numbers get better when you hook up the flowscan. All the work sounds like it's paying off for you!

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
I think they will...I believe that all number that I gave were on the low side....Im begining the layout for the floscan now...been looking at posts to learn what I can about ff combos. I had a lowrance hds5 on my last boat, it was good...but Im liking the chirp....but a good chirp is a grand+! We'll see....I will be fishing somewhere this weekend, either the shoe or deep hole. Id rather the shoe so I can spend the evening fishin the bugs too, its just a lil far...
I see the pass the soy is headin for the ramp this weekend... How close are you?

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
My buddy has a 22 cabin sea swirl that will be hitting the ramp this weekend too...he had to get his prop repitched....he was having trouble getting on a plane. He too has done an enormous amount of work to get.his boat going after 5 years out of the water. We will probably buddy.up as well... Hope to see both you guys on the water slayin da fishies!

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
Hope to get it in the water down there within a few weeks. Ended up doing some side work the last couple days that killed my plans of working on the boat over the weekend. Probably gonna do Long Beach when the time comes and put in a day or two fishing and hooping.

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
Ran it on the ear muffs for a while and noticed a small pool of fresh water pooling in the bilge. Track it back to the transom and up to the area where the exhaust pipe bolts to the gimble plate and I find a big gob of silicone!!! Peeled of most of it but ran out of daylight to locate the source for sure but initial guess is going to be a corroded exh. pipe...maybe flange gasket/o ring? On the plus side though, after reading up online and through the manual it appears I get the distinct honor of pulling the motor to get at the exhaust pipe! Be right back, gonna go give my shotgun a blowjob!
:Exploding_Smiley:

Gotta love old used boats.

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
That sucks ass...if its any consolation, I get to pull mine too. I don't have to do it immediately tho....I have drainage issues. Sorry to hear bout that!

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
Update on the floscan....I bought it from a guy on BD....I couldnt find out any info on the model#, he assured and guaranteed it would work for my boat....I called and got the scoop from Ed at floscan...not only is it not the right gauge, but the sensor and gauge aren't even compatible.. total loss as the guy hasn't returned my call yet. He seemed like a stand up guy.....We'll see.

pierguy

Mar 21, 2003
Northridge
momentoffame.com
Name
Dave
Boat
25' Farallon Whaleback Pilot- "REEL UP"
I'll split up the other Marathon pics...haha...

Baja and Farallon 031.jpg

Baja and Farallon 005.jpg

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
I see a few spots that you could fit some extra rod holders! I came across pics of your boat the other night and was gonna message you about it. Good to know there is a few guys out there to question about these boats!

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
Gonna tap out for now. Realized the motor needs to come out this afternoon so I can address the exhaust pipe leak. Was hoping to do a quicky fix and get a few trips on the boat before winter sets in but it just aint happening. Having the engine out will give me time to clean up the engine compartment and mount the new bilge pumps and plumbing, maybe throw some gaskets at the motor and generally just take my time doing things my way. Ill just have to hop on a few 3/4 or overnights to make up for it until spring. Who the hell wants to catch tuna, wahoo, wsb, and lobster in the same day on their own boat anyhow?? El nino happens like every other year still...right? This thing will be ready for rooster fish on the beach at Santa Barbara Island this coming spring! LOL