1986 Cabo 216 project

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat
ocean
Hey all. Just picked up an 86 Cabo 216. Just Repowered with a new Honda 225 with 10 hours on it. I’ve been seeing all the other 216 rebuilds and updates and followed along. I’ll be doing many of the normal updates/upgrades (wiring, new lights/switches, fuel tank if needed, move batteries under seat, Plates to block off open space of transom, ect...).

I’m starting off with the electrical which is the normal mess I expected with some new/ some old and nothing labeled.

a couple of my first questions for the rewire....
the plan is the move the batteries forward under the seats, then a new switch panel on the dash with circuit breakers, then out to all my electronics from the switch panel, with the exception of one bilge pump which will be direct to batt.

- with this setup, what size wire for that short run from the battery to the switch panel that will power all the switches?

- anyone have any idea what size wire to upsize to for the motor the the batt under the seat with the added 5’ or so of length?

- and lastly, for the switches out to the items being powered, should 14 gauge be fine? I know they have wiring charts to figure the outputs and all the math. Just trying to see if anyone that’s done this can point be me in the rite direction without having to look up how much each item draws
Thanks in advance

7E4518CC-DDC2-466F-AE59-5EB93006042B.jpeg

7FA5A347-E0EA-46E3-8BBA-11B8396D20C9.jpeg

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
How’s the fuel tank?

Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat
ocean
Fuel tank looks original. I don’t smell any fuel. No major issues from the two sides I could see, but haven’t pulled the Seats to really inspect. As of now I’m leaving it until I finish everything else

Reactions: Torrn
Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Beautiful Cabo! Congrats on the buy. I wish I could help answer the electrical but that's above my pay grade. I've also got a 86 Cabo 216. I've got a 250 Tohatsu (Honda) on the back with a bracket. She hasn't been in water yet so I'm not sure if she's properly weighted. I also left the fuel tank in, didn't smell off gas and pressure test was positive. I've replaced everything and spent WAY over budget, but I'm loving the way she's coming together. Keep the progress and pics coming

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
I plan on running 14 gauge duplex and triplex wire from the switch panel to the bilge. My biggest concern is the secondary bilge pump which I'll calculate carefully so as not to be blowing fuses or breakers if and when I ever actually need it. All my lights are LED so they use no current, but the livewell and washdown pumps might need a bump.

You wiring looks quite nice compared to what I got.
IMG_2792.jpg
IMG_2793.jpg

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Fuel tank looks original. I don’t smell any fuel. No major issues from the two sides I could see, but haven’t pulled the Seats to really inspect. As of now I’m leaving it until I finish everything else
When I refit my 216 the fuel tank was original as well. No leaks and air tight. The problem was, years and years of old fuel turned into varnish particles which kept clogging my primary filter. I these particles get past the primary (filter/water separator) you will clog the high pressure filter screen on you fuel pump, this will cost big bucks to repair.

These tanks are baffled and would be extremely hard to have cleaned properly and you have to take the tank out anyway.

Bite the bullet and just replace the tank during the off season. I wish I would have listened to the same advice that was given to me when I started my project.

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
I agree with rustman.

In my situation,, I didn't see any fuel leaking anywhere, no holes, only noticed a minor odd smelll waffling in the cabin on hot days. Boat was new to me at that time so I thought it was just a typical smell of an older boat.

After removing the foam, I discovered a few holes throughout the tank. The foam was keeping the weak spots intact. Upon further investigation, I was able to punch holes with my finger in several weak spots on the topside of the tank. Visually the tank seemed satisfactory but that was not the case.

Once the tank was removed, the fuel hoses needed replacing since it was not rated for ethanol fuel.. The two front fuel tank mounting tabs were also broken. I would not of seen this if the fuel tank was not exposed.

I wanted the confidence that the fuel system was solid and not be a liability on the water or on the trailer.

Too many "What if" scenarios ran through my mind so it was a not an option to not inspect the fuel tank for reliability.

Reactions: Torrn and Fishbones
Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat
ocean
Thanks for the input, I may lob a call in to imco and see what I would be looking at for lead time and cost. This was purchased as a running, ready to fish boat. And was just on the water without issue. That being said the switches were old and deteriorating so I wanted to replace the electrical and move batteries at a minimum along with replacing pumps and safety related issues. Trying to balance replacing what’s needed before I go down the rabbit hole of restoring the boat and not having it in the water for another few months haha

Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat
ocean
Quick question. In the process of ordering wiring and new electrical for the boat (wire,pumps, ect...).
For bilge Pump wiring, how are you guys handling wire size? Using wire charts, with moving the batt to the center console, it’s saying I would be on the fence between 8/10 gauge even though these rule pumps come with 14/16 gauge which will make that connection require a few step down butt connections. Have you all been sticking with the charts and going that thick of wire?

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Quick question. In the process of ordering wiring and new electrical for the boat (wire,pumps, ect...).
For bilge Pump wiring, how are you guys handling wire size? Using wire charts, with moving the batt to the center console, it’s saying I would be on the fence between 8/10 gauge even though these rule pumps come with 14/16 gauge which will make that connection require a few step down butt connections. Have you all been sticking with the charts and going that thick of wire?
Are you measuring the distance between the switch at the helm or from the battery to the pumps? All of my wiring will be from fuses and circuit breakers at the helm back to the bilge with a substantial feed from the batteries to a bus bar at the helm and a 50 amp circuit breaker between them. Only one bilge pump wire will run straight from the battery and that's to keep it live even if the battery switch is off. 8/10 sounds like overkill for a bilge pump and if it already has 14/16 gauge wire that's the choking point for current flow.

Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat
ocean
I’m planning on two pumps, a primary on a float switch ran straight to the battery. Was planning on a backup pump to be switched as well in case I need more pump or the primary fails. That being said. The run from the switch panel at the helm to the bilge is 50’ for the total run (both ways) which would put a rule 3700 at 6 gauge wire if I want less than 3% drop and even a rule 2000 would be 6 gauge just due to the distance of the run

Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat
ocean
Made some progress, got the CC seat section out along with the fuel tank pulled today. Didn’t have a hoist or tractor nearby so we had the pleasure of manhandling it out. Looks like an aftermarket tank built in 2002, some pitting and issues around the welds at the bottom but no holes yet, I’m sure they were coming though. Due to the configuration when it was built the tank hoses/fittings hit the bottom of the CC and wore through the hoses and fittings which were leaking though.

For the bilge pumps I decided to go with the smaller pump which wont Need the bigger wire and my spare I’ll just have alligator clips attached with a hose if I ever need

332F303C-58A9-4E41-B0CF-FAA8BF2757AF.jpeg

D1551482-6F1F-4025-9B42-A237EB56C50C.jpeg

8D1CE441-FFD7-4B48-96D0-0D85316CEEFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat
ocean
Definitely not gonna skimp on it. When I say “smaller” I mean the smaller of the two i got which is. 2000gph. That’s the recommended size for a 40’ boat, so I’m sure it’s fine and overkill for a 21’ CC. I know a lot of guys with bigger boats running. 500gph pumps all day. The larger pump I was going to use as a secondary was a bigger 3700gph pump which draws 15.5 amps requiring some serious wire. I’m now looking at just getting a second 2000gph as the backup instead.

Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat
ocean
Made some more progress. Wanted to check with you guys, how are the seat compartment drains supposed to drain? I see two cooler drains and another hole at the seat area which is just a hole as if now which would allow water to run rite on top of the tank. Is that supposed to be there and should it have a drain/hose? When I pulled the console I couldn’t see where the hoses came from but they didn’t seem super long

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Hoses dump in to the bilge

Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat
ocean
So they are supposed to be long enough to run over the gas tank all the way to the over the rear bulkhead. And they run individually? When I pulled it the hoses were only about 2’ long so there was no way the original ones went all the way to the bilge

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Just past the bulkhead

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Thank God people are still working on their boats. It's been so long since I took mine apart that I don't remember where half of it goes back together.

Upvote 0