Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Heading to SB for trolling motor battery hook up (3 × 12v) and downrigger/pot puller hook up. Can't wait

20201008_111106.jpg

20201008_095321.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: marlyn and repo805
Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Dude looking good!

I love the pickup truck tonneau cover repurposed to your hard top! Perfect!

Also like the way you organized the helm/dash.

250hp too much!
Thanks! I'm loving the way she's coming together. I've been on this channel a lot and I don't think you can have too much HP. 200 and 250 weighed same. You can have a following swell, cross swell and wind all at the same time. .. you need the hole shot ability to get your boat where it needs to be. That's my experience. Plus I like to go fast

Upvote 0

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
Torrn, is that a full size 6-foot tonneau bed cover or is that the reduced size ?

Looking forward to seeing you at the SB ramp some day would love to see how you put together some of those details.

Reactions: marlyn and Torrn
Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
That t- top roof is the coolest thing. It's for a 6' bed, it's made by LEER. I got it for around $300, and it's almost brand new. Radon would be at least $2,000 to make custom top.

I can't wait to be on the ocean. Totally binging.

Looking forward to meeting you at the ramp! I'll be stoked to look over your boat also.

Reactions: Errin
Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Nice Fish!
Boat looks awesome too. good idea on the hard top. Get Out There!

Reactions: Torrn
Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Here's a few pics of how she's coming together. Helm, Auto pilot and the new "Pilot Locker" for the autopilot, and the Shadow drive. I'm waiting on a piece from TX for the autopilot that should be here on W/Thr so we can test everything. Man...I won't even be able to afford gas by the time she's done.

Cabo Dash.jpeg

Cabo Hydrolic Center.jpeg

Cabo Shadow Drive.jpeg

Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Heading to SB Harbor tomorrow to put her in the water! I can't believe the day has finally come. All the elctronics, Sonar, Radar, Transducer, Autopilot and Shadow drive have tested perfect on land. We'll see how they do in the water. The 3 batteries have been sinked (sp) together for the Minn Kota and attached to motor, plus the charger. I'll have the engine mechanic and electronics guy on the boat with me so that's reassuring. I'm hoping that soon all my posts will be from the water. I don't plan on spending much time on land. A little Cuddy, Coffee Maker and Cooler stocked with food and beer...I'm good for days.

Cabo3Battery0.jpg

Cabo3battery1.jpg

Cabo3batterychargers.jpg

Cabo3batteryConsole.jpg

Cabo3batteryMinnKota.jpg

Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Today was the day! I was very anxious to see how she sat in the water with the new bracket and Tohatsu 250. Perfect! I think the boat was balanced perfectly, couldn't be happier. I was lucky to have Carpfisher from BD, Jon from Open Air Electronics and Bill Lundy (Lundys Landing) Engine guy, on board for the initial run. We brought her out, tiny wind chop, and she cut through the ocean like a dream. I'm so happy about the way this boat handles. Incredible layout. Now...where the f*ck did all this water come from? Is this what all those posts were about? lol. Ping pong ball scuppers basically failed. Forgot to shut off bait tank switch so they filled and then flooded the fish holds. OK, so now I've seen this problem first hand and so did Bill. I think it's time to do some serious reconfiguration and drilling. I want 4" holes at the end of my deck, where the the drains are, just like my Radon, that flow to the sea. This boat has an awesome fishing platform, but this whole deck drainage issue is Bullshit. I may be totoally wrong, but I'm going for the "Drill Big Holes" from the back of the deck where the drains are, connected with a PVC type tube, all the way out to ABOVE water line Ping Pong ball scupers. I don't care if I have to go through bait tanks, and other bs. There's also a couple of other fixes I haven't figured out yet. So, understanding that this boat has been totally stripped of everything while it's been worked on since Feb, we didn't have the proper amount of PFD's on the boat when the harbor patrole pulled up while we were testing the Minn Kota in the harbor. They canceled our trip and made us follow them back to launch ramp where I received my ticket by a guy 1/3 my age. Agreed, I was in the wrong, but it sucked. Besides that, we had dolphins cruise up to the boat and swim under it, which I think is really cool. Now she's out in front of the house where she belongs.

CaboSB0.jpg

CaboSB1.jpg

CaboSB2.jpg

CaboSB3.jpg

CaboSB4Dolphins.jpg

CaboSB5.jpg

CaboSB7.jpg

CaboSB8.jpg

CaboSB9.jpg

CaboSB10.jpg

CaboSB11.jpg

Upvote 0

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
It looks like it sat pretty good at the stern. How much floatation does your bracket have? Did you get to stretch your legs with the 250? Any numbers? Would've been nice to see a pic from the stern to see how your bracket sits to the waterline. Were you able to look and see if your scuppers are indeed submerged? At least it appears that your bilge pump worked. Congrats man, can't wait to do the same and I'll add your hindsight to my checklist.

Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
It looks like it sat pretty good at the stern. How much floatation does your bracket have? Did you get to stretch your legs with the 250? Any numbers? Would've been nice to see a pic from the stern to see how your bracket sits to the waterline. Were you able to look and see if your scuppers are indeed submerged? At least it appears that your bilge pump worked. Congrats man, can't wait to do the same and I'll add your hindsight to my checklist.
I'm not sure about the flotation numbers on the bracket. I'll contact the company who made it and get back. I wish we could have stretched the legs on the 250 but I'm still breaking her in. We were cruising at 19 knots and you couldn't even hear the engine. When Jon got on the boat he asked if the eingine was on, incredibly quite. Bill says that the enginge is sitting too low and were going to raise her on the bracket. I'll take before and after pics. The scuppers were submerged and taking water, it wasn't expected. Bilge pump never needed to work, all the water was in the bait tanks and fish holds.
If you're ever in the area you're welcome to come on board and look over things for yourself, even go fishing and see how she handles from beginning to end.

Reactions: Lifeislarge
Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Good to see you today. Be sure to pm me your number or text me.
Your Cabo sat great. Im available to take you out on mine Friday for a couple hours if your free.
Here's a couple pics

Attachments

• 10118202-94B8-4A28-BB44-79FD8C051489.jpeg
    10118202-94B8-4A28-BB44-79FD8C051489.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
  • 8D70A9B9-C018-4D85-892D-29FD34CDAAD8.jpeg
    8D70A9B9-C018-4D85-892D-29FD34CDAAD8.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 151
  • DF089BDD-D17D-43B6-89FB-79980569BCFB.jpeg
    DF089BDD-D17D-43B6-89FB-79980569BCFB.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 157
  • 9EC2A0D2-7E10-4605-81B4-F5AE92302052.jpeg
    9EC2A0D2-7E10-4605-81B4-F5AE92302052.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 156
Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Good to see you today. Be sure to pm me your number or text me.
Your Cabo sat great. Im available to take you out on mine Friday for a couple hours if your free.
Here's a couple pics
Thanks for the offer! I can't this Friday. I've got a lot of work to do so I can be ready next week to take some days off and learn this boat. I don't even have my fishing license yet. Lol

Upvote 0

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
The through holes that match up to your fish boxes are below the water line at the dock so that is why your boxes are filling up with water. A simple plug in each box solves that problem. You can plug them from the outside at the through hole, this option gives you no control to drain the boxes after a long day of fishing. Alternatively, you can also plug them at the drain hole inside the box which allows you to control the drainage while underway if you want to empty the boxes. The boxes will drain while underway if you remove the plugs. I agree this system is not perfect but if you are on top of it, shouldn't be too much trouble.

Boat looks epic on the water dude and all the bells and whistles you are gonna be stoked once you get comfortable with it. Looking forward to seeing you out there!

Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
The through holes that match up to your fish boxes are below the water line at the dock so that is why your boxes are filling up with water. A simple plug in each box solves that problem. You can plug them from the outside at the through hole, this option gives you no control to drain the boxes after a long day of fishing. Alternatively, you can also plug them at the drain hole inside the box which allows you to control the drainage while underway if you want to empty the boxes. The boxes will drain while underway if you remove the plugs. I agree this system is not perfect but if you are on top of it, shouldn't be too much trouble.

Boat looks epic on the water dude and all the bells and whistles you are gonna be stoked once you get comfortable with it. Looking forward to seeing you out there!
Thanks for the advice. Here's what it looks like below the motor bracket. Those scuppers failed. I'm putting in different ones. Maybe they'll keep the water out, maybe they won't. Definetely putting plugs in fish holds anyway, seems the right thing to do.
I'm stoked on the boat right now. I'll be on the water next weeknd, good to go.

CaboUnderStern.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
You guys are new to this boat and the design flaws with drainage. There are simple fixes without cutting new holes in the boat. You can control water flow into the boat with simple plugs that can be easily removed and installing a one directional whale pump. The Whale pump will also control flow or water out of the fish boxes.

I have 2 seasons on my boat now without an enclosed transom like yours and never have water intrusion or water drainage issues and all the thru-hulls are original design.

Reactions: Torrn and Capt. JB
Upvote 0

Capt. JB

BD’er
Nov 5, 2008
Cerritos, Ca
Name
Josh
Boat
Bluewater PHT 40, Cabo 216, 10 & 13 Livingstons
You guys are new to this boat and the design flaws with drainage. There are simple fixes without cutting new holes in the boat. You can control water flow into the boat with simple plugs that can be easily removed and installing a one directional whale pump. The Whale pump will also control flow or water out of the fish boxes.

I have 2 seasons on my boat now without an enclosed transom like yours and never have water intrusion or water drainage issues and all the thru-hulls are original design.

Same set-up here...zero issues.

Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Same set-up here...zero issues.
Understood. Thanks for the advice. Now that I have my boat out in front of my house, finally, and have had her in the water, I'm starting to figure her out. Slowly. I read so many threads about drainage on this boat, and since I wasn't doing the work myself, I wasn't sure what was going to happen. I had to see for myself. Now that I've looked things over I can see how to simply plug up this boat. As I've mentioned, I've got a valve on the bait tanks I can turn on and off. The fish holds are hooked up to a pump that pushes the water into the small hold, that was made by sealing the transom, and drains into the ocean through ping pong ball scuppers. I can plug the fish holds or pump them out if i want. That being the case, I think the boat will be very dry if I close the bait tank valve and plug the fish holds. Still, I haven't witnessed how quickly water drains off the deck. Sometimes we have short steep swells and you take a lot of water over the bow. My old radon drained the deck like a plug being pulled in a sink. Tons of water on the deck drained right off through holes in the back. I want this boat to do the same. We'll see. I'm looking into it. I'm a big fan of keeping water on the outside of the boat.

20201031_153000.jpg

20201031_152950.jpg

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Understood. Thanks for the advice. Now that I have my boat out in front of my house, finally, and have had her in the water, I'm starting to figure her out. Slowly. I read so many threads about drainage on this boat, and since I wasn't doing the work myself, I wasn't sure what was going to happen. I had to see for myself. Now that I've looked things over I can see how to simply plug up this boat. As I've mentioned, I've got a valve on the bait tanks I can turn on and off. The fish holds are hooked up to a pump that pushes the water into the small hold, that was made by sealing the transom, and drains into the ocean through ping pong ball scuppers. I can plug the fish holds or pump them out if i want. That being the case, I think the boat will be very dry if I close the bait tank valve and plug the fish holds. Still, I haven't witnessed how quickly water drains off the deck. Sometimes we have short steep swells and you take a lot of water over the bow. My old radon drained the deck like a plug being pulled in a sink. Tons of water on the deck drained right off through holes in the back. I want this boat to do the same. We'll see. I'm looking into it. I'm a big fan of keeping water on the outside of the boat.

View attachment 1219311

View attachment 1219312
You had better seal up all of the holes where you removed the brackets from the stringers. Although the stringers are heavy duty hand laid glass, you don't want any water to get in them.

Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
You had better seal up all of the holes where you removed the brackets from the stringers. Although the stringers are heavy duty hand laid glass, you don't want any water to get in them.
Thanks for pointing those out. Didn't even notice. I was focusing on the plumbing and missed the obvious. They're already sealed. Again, thanks. I'm finishng up the boat so I can get on the water and fish. I'll figure out what to do, if anything, with the drainage later. Right now I'm putting on the keel gaurd, life raft, epirb, anchor, deck lights and raising the motor. The canvas people will come take maesurments tomorrow. Looks like the wind is gonna blow on our coast pretty freaking hard this weekend so I'll have time to clean her up for the next weekned.

Upvote 0

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Brought her out to break in engine. Very impressed with this boat. Great ride and plenty of deck space. Engine is propped with a 17 pitch aluminum for testing. She needs more. At end of break in I brought her up to 6,000 rpm for 30 knots. If I've got a clean ocean and a 250 on the back, I should be able to go 45. I'm putting a 19 stainless on there. With a full tank and 2 people on-board, we had 8gph at 20 knots. This is not a good representation as I was breaking in engine and didn't have the right prop. Had the plugs in and drains closed, boat was dry. Boat looked a little bow heavy without any weight in fish boxes or bait tanks. I'm cool with that. Hoping to be back on water tomorrow, gotta start pulling fish over the rails

20201112_164604.jpg

20201118_100554.jpg

20201118_111124.jpg

20201114_090901.jpg

20201118_100543.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0