SeaHawk IV

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
Torrn

Can you ask Dan what's his opinion on how to replace the four scuppers in the splash well? That's the million dollar question that all Cabo 216 owners want to know.

If he thinks cutting the fiberglass is the only option, PM me what the cost would be to replace all four with plastic scuppers.

When you get your isinglass made, I'm very interested in your final design. I'm contemplating on making a new set with the gull wings.

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
Mako 171 "My Tern" , CABO 216
Nice thread! I'm doing a full refurb on a cabo 216 as well. I'm doing everything myself, but of course it's going much slower than yours. I'm definitely jealous of how quickly yours is coming together...looks great. Thanks for posting, especially all the pics.

Currently indecision in a few areas is slowing me a bit...

Reactions: Torrn

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
My favorite town in all CA or perhaps the USA is Carpentaria. What a great little friendly beach town. Great walking beach and restaurants. Last year I worked at the airport and stayed there for a couple of months and would go out fishing on the Stardust often. We just had a mini 3 day vacation there last May with fishing and golf to use up some of my Best Western Hotel points.

I'll look into the comments about the 36vdc converter. He's the expert not some keyboard electrician like me.

To answer your question about the standard Cabo bait tanks is they were not a problem for me until I moored my boat. The bait tanks are partially below the waterline so would not fully drain. I did not want having 20 gal of water in my moored boat. Went to a lot of trouble to replace them. Would I do it again? No. However, today my old bait tanks make great fish holds. 10 lbs of ice in each and throw in the fish. Ice water drains into bilge.

The 30 gal above deck bait tank was much better at keeping the bait healthy especially during rough weather. Also much easier to get to. I just sold it so I could make room to install the two above deck fuel tanks. Now I'm gonna try out a livewell system like my cousin and all his fishing buddies do in the backwaters of LA..... (Lower Alabama). A 10 gal livewell will fit between the fuel tanks. It's portable so you can take it anywhere.

Buddy boat with me any time but I'm not good at tuna fishing but do try a few times a year when they are close. I use to catch many halibut around SD but seemed to have lost my touch in recent years. The trolling motor will come in handy to search for halibut in an area using a grid pattern system with its GPS routing function.
Oh yea Carpinteria! I spent a lot of time there between 12-15 years old cuz my best friend lived there. It's a great place. Exactly how you described. I've been going on thre Stardust since I was a kid. Always great captain and crew. I golf when I can't fish. There's a sweet little bass lake on our course. I'm not good at freshwater but find it relaxing.

You could have that trolling motor hooked up properly, I'm also at loss when it comes to understanding real electrical stuff. I can replace fuses and run wires, but that's about it.

I'm going to trailer the boat so I'd like to give the livewells a chance. I'm sure that after I use her a few times I'll figure out what's gotta be changed.

I've fished tuna a few times with varying results. My lowest day in my fishing carrier was buying tuna at the dock so my wife wouldn't cut my balls off returning with no fish. I'd spent some $$ on set up and she knew it.

Some days I catch fish, others days... can't catch a cold. If you're ever up north lemme know. We've got some salmon and albacore just a little north of me from time to time, and halibut, seabass, threshes and yellowtail out front

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Torrn

Can you ask Dan what's his opinion on how to replace the four scuppers in the splash well? That's the million dollar question that all Cabo 216 owners want to know.

If he thinks cutting the fiberglass is the only option, PM me what the cost would be to replace all four with plastic scuppers.

When you get your isinglass made, I'm very interested in your final design. I'm contemplating on making a new set with the gull wings.
The person id like figuring out what to do concerning the plumbing of this Cabo is Ed Anderson (Andeson Boats) He's really smart in that way. Unfortunately, they're booked up. I'll keep working on that fix and let you know what I come up with. Dan specializes in metal work. He really puts a lot into his work. Makes great stuff.

I'm hoping I can get the first part of the eisenglass (front and sides) done asap. I'll keep you posted on that.

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Nice thread! I'm doing a full refurb on a cabo 216 as well. I'm doing everything myself, but of course it's going much slower than yours. I'm definitely jealous of how quickly yours is coming together...looks great. Thanks for posting, especially all the pics.

Currently indecision in a few areas is slowing me a bit...
I wish I had the skills to do this myself. I suggest you wait a few weeks and buy mine cuz I'll be broke as a joke real soon. Boats costing a pretty penny. If wife knew what I was spending it would be Lorena Bobbit all over again.
I'll post everything I'm doing on boat, I hope that'll be helpful in your build. Please post pics of your build.

Reactions: Corndawg

Corndawg

F/V My Tern
Feb 27, 2004
SD
Name
Corey
Boat
Mako 171 "My Tern" , CABO 216
I wish I had the skills to do this myself. I suggest you wait a few weeks and buy mine cuz I'll be broke as a joke real soon. Boats costing a pretty penny. If wife knew what I was spending it would be Lorena Bobbit all over again.
I'll post everything I'm doing on boat, I hope that'll be helpful in your build. Please post pics of your build.
Haha, thanks. I never said I had any skills... haha, learning as I go.

I will definitely post up some progress pics, maybe even start a thread if I can find the time. Looking forward to your continued progress!

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
There's the engine in the cardboard box. Tomorrow we install the trim tabs, then the ping pong ball skuppers and then motor mount and motor. Getting there. Updates tomorrow

20200806_155700.jpg

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Well, I've got the electric trim tabs on, the motor bracket attached and the engine mounted. Shes almost ready. I can't wait.

CaboTrimTabs.jpg

Cabo Motor Mount.jpg

CaboMotorandMount.jpg

CaboFrontMotor.jpg

Reactions: marlyn

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Nice work! How are your decks draining now?

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Nice work! How are your decks draining now?
Thanks! The deck drains flow out into the ping-pong scuppers. The bait tanks are attached to the same drain but there's a switch so I can drain them when I want to. The scuppers are just above the water line. As for the bilge I've got 2 pumps seprated by height and they're both on different cuircuits. They both have float swithces. This is my current understanding of how the plumbing is going to work on this boat. I haven't been able to really get into my boat and figure it all out. It's been from one shop to the next and getting parts in this pandemic is a nightmare. I can't wait to have this boat in my yard so I can go through her, clean her, and figure everything out. I will say I trust the guy who's been doing a lot of the work and he seems confident that this boat is safer than most.

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
It's taken a long time to get all the parts for this boat, but she's almost finished. Here's a few pics.

Cabo Dashboard.jpg

Cabo inside wiring.jpg

Cabo side black door.jpg

Cabo transducer inside.jpg

Cabo transducer outside.jpg

Cabo Underwater lights.jpg

ratboy

Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
Thanks! I'll keep the pics coming. Agreed, the weight is a concern. I was hoping to put a Honda 200-225 on the back with a bracket. I found out the weight is the same for 200-250. The hull had a 250 hp max, so I figured on this channel more hp the better. The weight is 620lb. I am putting a bracket with flotation on the back, I moved the batteries up to mid deck and added 1 (3 total), installed the T Top, and put a windlass and heavy 36V trolling motor on the bow. I plan on packing heavy with full ice in the 8' holds and staying out for a day or 2-3. So, I'm guessing if she doesn't sink she'll be weighed out properly
mine was 38 knots at 5800 rpm, cruise 25 knots at 4000 with a 225, yours is going to fly!

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
Dude looking good!

I love the pickup truck tonneau cover repurposed to your hard top! Perfect!

Also like the way you organized the helm/dash.

250hp too much!

Reactions: marlyn and Torrn

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
Thanks for the pics. Keep it up. Love the rewired cutty, Very neat. My new F150 Yamaha does about the same as ratboy's but I'm sure slower out of the hold. I average 3.3 mpg on a days fishing.

I'm still dealing with a few holes in the top welded outlet fittings on my fuel tank. If you are keeping the tank, make sure you clean those welded fittings and epoxy paint them to lessen the chance of what I'm experiencing. I went above deck with fuel tanks until I find someone at a reasonable price to repair or replace it. Do you have any more pics of your fuel tank? I like the pic that shows a hatch to get to the tank. Another repair option that I can do is to just clean up, plug and epoxy paint all the welded fittings. Then reuse the tank.

Knocking rockfish, calicos and lings dead within my limited range. The trolling motor with spot-lock makes it much easily to catch fish if you are not moving. I relocated my TM to the middle of the bow from the side. I keep TM on and available at all times for immediate deployment when in the water. Never know when you will need it in an emergency situation.

Whenever you have time, my invite to you to fish our waters is always open.

IMG_2748.jpg

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Thanks for the pics. Keep it up. Love the rewired cutty, Very neat. My new F150 Yamaha does about the same as ratboy's but I'm sure slower out of the hold. I average 3.3 mpg on a days fishing.

I'm still dealing with a few holes in the top welded outlet fittings on my fuel tank. If you are keeping the tank, make sure you clean those welded fittings and epoxy paint them to lessen the chance of what I'm experiencing. I went above deck with fuel tanks until I find someone at a reasonable price to repair or replace it. Do you have any more pics of your fuel tank? I like the pic that shows a hatch to get to the tank. Another repair option that I can do is to just clean up, plug and epoxy paint all the welded fittings. Then reuse the tank.

Knocking rockfish, calicos and lings dead within my limited range. The trolling motor with spot-lock makes it much easily to catch fish if you are not moving. I relocated my TM to the middle of the bow from the side. I keep TM on and available at all times for immediate deployment when in the water. Never know when you will need it in an emergency situation.

Whenever you have time, my invite to you to fish our waters is always open.

View attachment 1208833
110 gallon, 3/16ths aluminum, USCG certified for under $1200.
AE03D1DE-D650-4289-8D57-1298D33D9199.jpeg

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
The cost of the tank is not prohibitive but the labor to remove and replace is, if you have someone else do the work. WCMS quoted me $12K TOTAL to replace the fuel tank. Can't find any reasonable options. Therefore, I'm really thinking about repairing the holes myself and hope for the best by keeping the tank around 1/2 full. All the holes are around the welded fittings on the top of the tank. The above deck fuel tanks are not working out for me.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
The cost of the tank is not prohibitive but the labor to remove and replace is, if you have someone else do the work. WCMS quoted me $12K TOTAL to replace the fuel tank. Can't find any reasonable options. Therefore, I'm really thinking about repairing the holes myself and hope for the best by keeping the tank around 1/2 full. All the holes are around the welded fittings on the top of the tank. The above deck fuel tanks are not working out for me.
There's a few tank replacement posts here from different owners, myself included. The gantry I built to do the heavy lifting for my project cost me less than $200 and it's paid for itself umpty-nine times. Others have simply moved the leaning post out of the way and put it on 2X4s. I had my tank out in an hour at best using the gantry. I'm willing to bet that it would take you less time to replace it than it would to repair it properly. The worst part of the job is cleaning out the old foam but my foam eater makes very short work of that.

IMG_2778.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg
IMG_5163.jpg

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
When the subject of your 12k cost to replace the tank came up I asked if you got a detailed estimate since that cost seems way overpriced. Did you ever get a detailed estimate?

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
This is Torn's thread so I'm bugging out after this reply.

Mike, no, an estimate from Augustin who I bought the F150 from. Plus he said they are so busy now and can not get to it until late Fall. I moor my boat, have no trailer and a small yard. Plus can not do major repairs in a marina slip.

Will update further on my "Hole in Tank" thread. I was down at the boat today and have a plan now to get at all welded fittings so I can repair them and reuse the tank like I said above. In the mean time fishing 3 times a week with the above deck tanks (30 gal total).

Last edited:

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon
This is Torn's thread so I'm bugging out after this reply.

Mike, no, an estimate from Augustin who I bought the F150 from. Plus he said they are so busy now and can not get to it until late Fall. I moor my boat, have no trailer and a small yard. Plus can not do major repairs in a marina slip.

Will update further on my "Hole in Tank" thread. I was down at the boat today and have a plan now to get at all welded fittings so I can repair them and reuse the tank like I said above. In the mean time fishing 3 times a week with the above deck tanks (30 gal total).
This is great info! Keep it all coming please. Open thread.
I've got a trailer, my trailer, that'll fit your boat perfect and it's brand new. Maybe you make appointment for tank repair, use my trailer, and I'll use your mooring. Just a thought.