1985 Evinrude 130 wont idle in gear without key prime?

dizzyspots

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 29, 2009
Vail, AZ
Name
Mike Nervik
Boat
74 Wellcraft Airslot 185
Johnson/Evinrude gurus? 1975 Airslot, powered by an '85 120hp 4 cyl (VRO delete), 1995 130 hp carbs. Fresh gas, oil and stabil, fresh fuel filter and water seperator. Carbs and intake have been professional cleaned and adjusted.
A little cold blooded, but after warm up, idles smooth in gear till past the no wake zone, roll on the throttle:
-it noses over and I have to catch it with the key primer,
-then cruises smoothly at 30+ at 5000rpm...
-as I slow down to return to the marine, as soon as I get below 2350, she noses over again and I have to use the key prime to keep her running as we slow down heading back to the dock....
-need ideas on the cause, what to troubleshoot...any great OMC 2 stroke folks out there? Thanks in advance...Mike

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
Apr 5, 2015
San marcos
Name
Jay
Boat
16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
If you don’t think it’s fuel related check your compression and use a timing light to see if your getting spark. Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me but im by no means a mechanic but that’s where I’d start. Good to know anyway. Also joe reeves is the guru for those older Johnson’s google him. Wealth of knowledge there. Good luck

meandmyself

Who knows
Aug 5, 2012
san jose
Name
edgar teixeira
Boat
1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
Start with the fuel pumps. Motor will run at idle fine and off idle but will stumble at higher rpm’s and load and will never get to plain

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
Vail, AZ
Name
Mike Nervik
Boat
74 Wellcraft Airslot 185
It runs great at cruise...30+mph at 5000 rpm on a lake at 3500 feet...but will not idle without key priming

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa/San Carlos
Name
Dan
Boat
19ft aluminum
definitely check compression first, after that I agree with starting with the fuel pump. I just replaced mine on my 1984 115johnson because it had a tiny RIP in the diaphragm. Mine also didn't like to idle that's how I knew. I have also heard of partially plugged fuel tank vent lines wreaking havoc at low rpm. make sure that is clear as well. I paid 20 bucs for a rebuild kit on Amazon for the fuel pump. keep us posted on when you get it fixed!

Reactions: Jaysons999

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Can you put the motor on a portable fuel tank? If same problems appears than you have eliminated tank issues.

Reactions: Danthefishman

skipjack

Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
There’s something in the carbs,clean them again.
Push a fine wire threw all the carb jets.
It’s running too lean,when you push the key in,your making the fuel mixture richer,making up for the lean run condition.

Last edited:

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
Vail, AZ
Name
Mike Nervik
Boat
74 Wellcraft Airslot 185
new tandem hi flow fuel pump...marine mechanic ran it off a portable tank, no issues...asked me to dump old gas and replace..did that...have not checked the vent lines...carbs and intake plate were ultrasonically cleaned by him...

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Do you have access to fuel tank? Inspection hole? Could be pick up if the fuel vent is good.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
anyone wanna bet 100$ its a clogged idle jet in the carb?

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
Apr 5, 2015
San marcos
Name
Jay
Boat
Might have been something in the fuel lines if they weren’t flushed that got caught in a jet.

Reactions: stairman

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
Vail, AZ
Name
Mike Nervik
Boat
74 Wellcraft Airslot 185
Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer...trying to wrap my head around the fuel supply issue, especially when it runs so well at WOT...not a 2 stoke guy at all...

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
wide open throttle jets are MUCH larger then idle jets...and that it runs when you prime it at idle is pretty conclusive proof it is only fuel supply at idle when idle jets are in use

pastdue

May 18, 2006
Mira Mesa
Name
Don Cale
Boat
18.5 Larsen cc Pastdue
Johnson/Evinrude gurus? 1975 Airslot, powered by an '85 120hp 4 cyl (VRO delete), 1995 130 hp carbs. Fresh gas, oil and stabil, fresh fuel filter and water seperator. Carbs and intake have been professional cleaned and adjusted.
A little cold blooded, but after warm up, idles smooth in gear till past the no wake zone, roll on the throttle:
-it noses over and I have to catch it with the key primer,
-then cruises smoothly at 30+ at 5000rpm...
-as I slow down to return to the marine, as soon as I get below 2350, she noses over again and I have to use the key prime to keep her running as we slow down heading back to the dock....
-need ideas on the cause, what to troubleshoot...any great OMC 2 stroke folks out there? Thanks in advance...Mike
I was told to run premium fuel high test would not Idol ran regular fuel ran great every two years had to replace the fuel pump also rev the motor up and put a rag over the carburetor throat it'll suck the s*** out of some of the orifices that might be clogged

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
Hope you get you issues squared away. When I bought my boat, the previous owner hardly used it, the worse thing for a 2 stroke. The Fuel was bad and the carburetors were gunked pretty badly. I drained the fuel and had the carbs cleaned, and have had no issues for 13 years. The guy at the shop gave me some great advice: Seafoam additive for every tank, (especially if the gas is going to stay in the tank for a while), obviously ethanol free gas if you can. The key thing though, is to ALWAYS run the gas out of the motor before you pull it out of the water. Not having gas sitting in the carbs has kept my 2 stroke Mercury running without any maintenance other than one new set of spark plugs and changing the lower unit oil every season....

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
Vail, AZ
Name
Mike Nervik
Boat
74 Wellcraft Airslot 185
Again thanks for the advice form all of you...I will repost if and when we get it figured out....regarding the "run all the fuel out..." idea. I was told and always do it on my single carb generator and my single carb 15 hp outboard, but was told to never do that on a multi carb 2 stroke engine because you cant be sure that all 4 carbs will stop at the same time and if not, the remaining cylinder are still moving without fuel/oil..hence no lube?

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
Apr 5, 2015
San marcos
Name
Jay
Boat
To me it's fuel delivery problem. Bypassing with the primer would point me in that direction. But knowing your compression and spark wouldn’t be a bad thing.

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
i had that same issue with my 150 merc it was the primer ball it was losing pressure from the back valve replaced ball and hoses runs great

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I had a similar problem with my Johnson 85.The fuel pump diaphram was bad.It would idle great but stumble until the rpm's came up and the fuel pump had enough vacuum to work properly.Part of the diaphram was missing.Replaced and ran like a champ.

dizzyspots

Mar 29, 2009
Vail, AZ
Name
Mike Nervik
Boat
74 Wellcraft Airslot 185
so...seems the carbs might be the issue..1995 130HP carbs on a 1985 120hp power head...different ports sizes, exhaust etc???