Mel B

Jun 10, 2016
Bodega Bay
Name
Mel
Boat
Bayliner was stolen, now looking
Hello,
I've had a 1998 Bayliner 25' for some time now, But I've been wanting a skipjack for way to long. Wife and I were going around looking at garage sale last week. And wow guess what I found less then a 1/2 mile from my house, a 1984 Skipjack 25. The owner lives 2 hours from here and it's been sitting at his friends house here since 2011 (the last year it was registered. So I met with the owner, seems he and his brother owned and used it for over 20 years, The chevy 350 blew so the brother pulled the motor in 2011 and has since passed away. Now the brother that I'm dealing with wants to sell it. He was asking $3000 It has a tandem pacific trailer with some bad rust. The blown motor is GONE nobody knows what the brother did with it. Has RADAR-SOUNDER-GPS all are old and will have to be replaced, it does have AUTO-PILOT. Nice tuna poles that sell for $400 each, oh yeah It has Volva Penta 290 dual Stainless props, the brother that passed away was an electrition and the whole boat has been rewired and really looks good. Someone Tried painting putting bottom paint on, and it's peeling off. I have alot of questions but I guess what I'm most concerned with is, How do I know if there is ROT in the stern and or the stringers? Looking where the motor was I see the bottom and the stringers are covered with a Liner? the bolts holding the bait tank on the stern are not showing any rot, The Outdrive Is still on the boat. I talked to the remaining brother again yesterday and it looks like he's accepting my offer of $1200 but he won't be up here for two weeks so I have until then to inspect more for any rot. So I'm looking to all of you for any and all advice you can give me. and thoughts on the re-power? Would love to go diesel but I think I want to stay away from Volvo Diesel, If I buy this boat I'll be selling the bayliner and I'll have (Don't Laugh) $25,000) for repower and new electronics.
Thanks, Mel

Reactions: Sobie2
Upvote 0

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
sell the dp290 and use the $$$ towards a stainless marine offshore bracket and twin 150's. buy your electronics, bracket, trailer and one 150 with your 25k and finance the other 150. Post results so I know if I should do the same to mine.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Everyone will say something different but I don't think twins are necessary. They run what, maybe 12k each? A 300 is generally about 22k? Along with rigging and weight, you're better off with a single. They are so reliable that it's not really an argument. Maintenance is doubled for twins along with costs.

If you went that direction, I'd probably try to find a lightly used 300 or 350 and order a flotation bracket.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kwohlers8
Upvote 0

Mel B

Jun 10, 2016
Bodega Bay
Name
Mel
Boat
I won't be going to twins that's for sure Besides I'm not looking to go with OB's . and I may not buy new, seems there are a lot of boats with newish motors in them that are priced lower then just buying a motor

Upvote 0

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
Certainly can't argue the weight, maintenance, top speed or fuel economy comparing twins to a single. Twins are only as good as your setup (seperate battery and fuel tanks). For me twins are simply a piece of mind and being able to kick one in forward and one in reverse to swing the bow around.
You can't go wrong going to a new single or twin outboard setup. Dependability, deck space, noise, fuel economy are all benefits to new outboards.
By far the simplest way to get you in the water is putting a gas inboard back in it, but I would explore diesel or outboard options. I know some of the older Volvo penta diesels had some issues, but I'm pretty sure the newer ones are very dependable. Not sure what it would take to adapt a yanmar to a 290, but they are a very good Diesel engine.
Just my opinion. Good luck with the build, and make sure you post progress.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

willyok

Apr 10, 2012
San diego, CA
Name
Will
Boat
Aloha Lady 33' K&C.
If you dont know how to look for rot, have a surveyor come check it out. Plan on replacing the fuel tank as well. If it were me with your budget, I would throw a Full roller marine 350 crate engine in there, buy a new simrad electronics package and go fishing. If you can do the work yourself you be under budget.

Will

Reactions: Alan and bman440440
Upvote 0

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
Elkton, OR
Name
Larry
Boat
Skipjack 240, Skipjack Sports Cruiser under construction
I agree with wellyok, get a survey. You will then know what you are getting into. I have a similar story. I found a 25' sport cruiser in a barn in corvallis ore. Paid 2000 for it, and same as you no engine in it. Just the 290 single prop outdrive. I found a 23' imp with a Volvo penta dp outdrive and 5.7 litre engine in it for 5000. the engine is fresh water cooled and only has 80 hours on it. compression was excellent, so that is the engine and drive that I am going to use in the skippy. My stringers seem good but the small board that runs on top of the keel may need to be replaced. My yard and shop look like a boat yard. I have a skippy 24 open that the wife won't let me sell till the 25 is ready to fish, and I have the 23 imp that is my donor boat. Good luck with the project. Oh and just a note Skipjack up in hesperia does do restoration work on boats.

Upvote 0

Mel B

Jun 10, 2016
Bodega Bay
Name
Mel
Boat
Thanks guys
The stringers seem fine, no rot at motor mounts, I'm kind of on the same page as WILL, Dropping in a new 350 would be the easiest and least $$ and yes I was planning on checking the tank. There are quite a few older boats on CL with low hour new chevy 350 out there, one near me with 50 hours on a one year old 350 crate motor for $3900, Or I could pull the 5.7 out of my Bayliner it has 350 hours on a complete rebuilt motor. And I could switch trailers, My bayliner sit's on a very nice Pacific Trailer. Just not sure I want to go that way, The bayliner is such a clean nice set up, I'm reluctant to cannibalize the it.
Mel

Upvote 0

bus kid

rebmem nwonk llew
Feb 8, 2009
www.spacex.com
Name
David
Boat
Skipjack 20 open
Get a survey, if that is good,Contact Michigan motors to get a motor drop it in and go fish.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
00Y0Y_1THUlVJ1CnT_600x450.jpg

Upvote 0