carreonusmc

tuna killer
Sep 22, 2009
san diego, California
Name
Miguel
Boat Name
1984 Boston Whaler Outrage 18
I will start by saying I’m new to boating. Growing up my family owned a boat but I never had much interest outside of going fishing. Since them my urge to own a boat started building year after year. So early last year I decided it was time to start looking for one. Everything I found was of course out of my price range. One day, out of no where I ran into an amazing deal in the least expected location. This boat was pretty much abandoned and dry docked for the last five years, but It had everything I was looking for. This will be a look into my adventure as I try to rebuilt it.

1093EA8A-573A-47CA-B762-5A1081D69C08.jpeg

736F429C-CC3F-407E-80D4-21BB6A34D6C9.jpeg

24EE4F57-B516-4F73-BF22-F339B585F161.jpeg

15D41D33-49D6-4177-A8B2-614371193B61.jpeg

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None
I bet the fuel tank is corroded and leaking. On top of that, the deck is soft and went bad. You may have to cut or remove the top section to replace that fuel tank. That is why there is a 5 gallon tank on top of the deck. Good luck with your project. The Outrage is a nice boat. I have a newer 1986 model. This looks like the generation right before mine. Its a good hull design.

The damage is typical of these boats if they are used, abused and put away wet. With those government plates, I'm sure it has been abused. Its only a matter of time before that fuel tank needs to be replaced. The good thing is that its easier to get the top off on these Outrage models than later versions which require cutting out the deck. You just remove the screws and try to break off the sealant on the deck.

You probably need to repower too. That fuel filter and water separator looks a little too dark. At least its not a 2 stroke! The trailer needs to be rebuilt too. One of the bunks are not even sitting at the correct angle. Double check the trailer bearings to make sure they are still good before you tow it out.

As they say, "you bought self a project." It should be nicer once you are done.

Last edited:
Reactions: carreonusmc
Upvote 0

carreonusmc

tuna killer
Sep 22, 2009
san diego, California
Name
Miguel
Boat Name
Update #2

Thank you guys for taking the time to replay to my original post.
I'm going to do my best to update you guys to where I'm at right now.
I got the boat home mid September and started with the trailer. I replaced all the hubs and bearing and I still need to replace the bunks and tires.

I set an appointment to get the outboards looked at but had to wait two months. I was quoted $5k to get them running but most importantly they gave me the outboard printouts and what needed to be done to get them running. The boat has two 2000 Evinrude Four Stoke 70 made in Japan by Suzuki with 56 hours each mainly at idle. All cylinder tested in the high 190s with one in the 140s. I think that is from carbon built up from running in idle.

I started working on the starboard outboard in early December and with holidays, parts on back order, and two work trips I had very little time. After many hours of reading, watching YouTube videos, and consulting with a good reliable friend I we were able to get it running early February. This is the maintenance I did.

fuel filter
oil filter
thermostat
water valve
impeller
gear case oil change
engine oil change
VSP

The port outboard only took me about 6 hours to get it running. This is the maintenance I did.

fuel filter
oil filter
thermostat
water valve
impeller
gear case oil change
engine oil change
VSP
starter relay
neutral switch

Two weeks ago I was able to get the boat on the water with a above deck 6 gallon gas tank. Both outboards ran amazing, super quiet with plenty of power.

That day I got home and started stripping the whole boat to replace the gas tank and get it ready for paint.

IMG_4974.jpeg

IMG_4990.jpeg

This is where I'm at now. The gas tank is out and I'm still looking for a place to make me a new tank. The tank has tons of corrosion with two visible holes. The deck has one soft spot under the center console and plenty of spider web cracks throughout the hull.

IMG_5177.jpeg
IMG_5186.jpeg

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat Name
No Boat Now
wow You are on a roll, that's good news on the outboards and very lows hours, should give you plenty run time on the water.
Good move removing the tank....
I think the boat is a awesome score....

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat Name
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Why not just compound the gelcoat. It might be good. It will clean up well. I’ll be following! Gl

Upvote 0

carreonusmc

tuna killer
Sep 22, 2009
san diego, California
Name
Miguel
Boat Name
Well this is where I’m at now. I end up going with American tanks from La Mesa CA. I did have to do some work to the deck plate. I replaced the plywood and re-fiberglassed it. probably the hardest part of the whole project. While I was working on installing the tank I found a deal on a T-top. It was made by Pacific Yacht Towers out of San Marcos CA. It fit the Center console perfect. So the fuel tank, deck plate, center console, and T-top are installed.

Today I moved the batteries to the center console and connected everything back up. Both outboards fired right up after three months of sitting.

Still need to install the fuel/water separator, add new oil to the steering hydraulic system. This should get me on the water.

After that will be the much dreaded electrical part of the project.

08F054B9-3B43-4D66-BD9B-6923EA625C67.jpeg

2D636BB0-700A-4A98-99B0-01B056B5FF3A.jpeg

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat Name
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
That looks like a good fit.
U are making some serious progress!
How much was the TeeTop and the tank?
My TeeTop is still in two pieces!
It looks like your tank is bare aluminun and not foamed in place.
How are you going to get the water out of that coffin?

Upvote 0

carreonusmc

tuna killer
Sep 22, 2009
san diego, California
Name
Miguel
Boat Name
That looks like a good fit.
U are making some serious progress!
How much was the TeeTop and the tank?
My TeeTop is still in two pieces!
It looks like your tank is bare aluminun and not foamed in place.
How are you going to get the water out of that coffin?
Not sure how I’m going to get water out. Im doing my best trying to seal the top very well. I used kitchen floor matting on the bottom and on the sides of the tank. I’m hoping this lets enough air to dry out whatever makes it down their. I guess only time will tell.

The tank was pricy at $1,400. I tried several places but American tanks was around the same price as other welding shop. so I went with experience.

I scored the Tee-top for $600. it is super sturdy with I think 1.5 inch tubing. It has the mounts for a tuna stand but it did not come with it. Im hoping they sell it by itself.

Today I replaced all the seals on the hydraulic steering and started bleeding the system. After turning the helm what felt like 100 times each way I still have some bubbles and a little play. It got dark and I couldn’t continue. I will try again tomorrow

On a side note 5200 is the hardest thing to work with! I absolutely hate it.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat Name
Always changing
Whatever’s left just use a shop vac at the back of the tank. That’s what I’ll do. And 5200 has no place on a boat, use 4000 or 4200. Much nicer to deal with and has all the properties you’ll need

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat Name
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
You are going to need some sort of solution because that fuel tank coffin is part of the bilge system. It is the crappist part of the Outrage design! With use, you will get water in there around your fuel tank. You got a swinging deal on the top! Yea don't use 5200. You can use life caulk, 4200. I used some marine adhesive made by LocTite, but I'm not sure that was a good idea. You need some method to drian, or better flush and drain that coffin to protect you $1400 fuel tank. I installed a tube to drain it and foamed sealed my tank in place. I saw on another Outrage rehab where they foamed it in place and glassed over the top of the tank, If I had thought of that, I would have gone that way.

Upvote 0

WHALER21

Almost A Member
  • Aug 27, 2006
    Cerritos
    Name
    Carlos
    Boat Name
    BW Justice 17', Parker 2320, 15' Boston Whaler & 16' G3
    If you haven't already done so, check out the website "Continious Whaler". You will find a ton of information regarding classic whalers that may be helpful to you. Good luck.

Upvote 0

carreonusmc

tuna killer
    Sep 22, 2009
    san diego, California
    Name
    Miguel
    Boat Name
    If you haven't already done so, check out the website "Continious Whaler". You will find a ton of information regarding classic whalers that may be helpful to you. Good luck.
    Ok thank you
    You are going to need some sort of solution because that fuel tank coffin is part of the bilge system. It is the crappist part of the Outrage design! With use, you will get water in there around your fuel tank. You got a swinging deal on the top! Yea don't use 5200. You can use life caulk, 4200. I used some marine adhesive made by LocTite, but I'm not sure that was a good idea. You need some method to drian, or better flush and drain that coffin to protect you $1400 fuel tank. I installed a tube to drain it and foamed sealed my tank in place. I saw on another Outrage rehab where they foamed it in place and glassed over the top of the tank, If I had thought of that, I would have gone that way.
    my original plan was to use the floor mat and then glass it in. But after working on the deck glassing also started sucking. Lol. thanks for the 4200 advise.

Upvote 0