yeloslyr

Almost A Member
Sep 16, 2007
newport beach
Name
jazz moorhead
Boat Name
18ft CC panga
I have owned this 1983 17' Montauk for about five years now and it has been an awesome skiff for local/island fishing and up until a year ago, it has been problem free. Last summer the head gasket cracked on my 1999 Johnson 70hp outboard and I decided to do some much needed work since I was going to repower with a new outboard. There were some issues with the boat that I did not like, such as the old beat up console, and lack of storage for anything. With these being the two main modifications that I wanted to fix, I started by stripping the boat down to the bare hull and building it back up just how I wanted it. This build was done over the period of a year while I was going to school full time and working part time. I will let the photos tell the story.

IMG_1252.jpg

Here's what the boat looked like before getting stripped down to the bare hull.

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

Lots of stripped out rub rail screw holes that needed filling.

IMG_1813.jpg

Jump forward a few weeks and I had flipped over the boat to start sanding down the old bottom paint. I sanded down the old gelcoat and applied a topside paint primer, followed by multiple coats of seafoam green topside paint.

IMG_1855.jpg

After lots of sanding, sanding, more sanding, I was finally able to get the boat flipped over and start working on the interior paint, consoles, and rigging.

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

I wish I had better photos to show off this part of the build, but this is all I have. This picture shows the mock up of the new console and the forward deck extension. With storage being a big issue on this little boat, I had to design the layout to accommodate this problem. I felt that the front deck of the boat was too small for two guys to fish comfortably, so I decided to extend the deck an additional two feet. With the front deck being extended like this, it allowed me to use the void under the deck as a storage locker.

IMG_2077.jpg

Here is a rough layout of where everything will go. This boat is rigged with a 26 gallon fuel tank and a removable 32 gallon bait tank.

IMG_2093.jpg

I made the decking out of 3/4" birch and the console is made from 1/2" birch.

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

At this point of the build, the front deck was glassed in and the rest of the interior has been faired and primed.

IMG_3506.jpg

Figuring out the positioning of the gas tank console and dry fitting the steering console.

IMG_3510.jpg

Sanding, sanding, and more sanding...

IMG_3624.jpg

Once the interior was painted, it was time to glass in the two consoles and begin the rigging process.

IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

The beginning of the rigging process...

IMG_3645.jpg

I ended up scoring a great deal at the Fred Hall show and bought this brand new 2016 Suzuki 90hp. This motor is a perfect fit for this hull and I could not be happier with the performance.

IMG_3657.jpg

Rigging, Rigging, and more Rigging...

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

That block in the bow is a custom recessed trolling motor mount that I made because I was having issues with the previous mount shaking loose. I nearly lost my trolling motor on a snotty day coming home from Catalina and I knew that I had to beef up the mounting block because the bow can take some serious beatings on choppy days.

IMG_3664.jpg

The consoles are glassed to the deck, which gives the boat a totally custom look.

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

The white cowling and the white deck look great together. I decided to spend the extra money and get the baystar hydraulic steering and I am really happy I went that route because it's buttery smooth now.

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3751.jpg

I couldn't be more happy with how all of my rigging turned out. This console came out super clean and is the perfect fit for this boat.

IMG_3772.jpg

Fitting the new rub rail...

IMG_3775.jpg

The long awaited maiden voyage.

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

And this is the finished product for now. I still have to roll on the bottom paint and do some final tweaking, but for the most part the skiff is done. I was able to get the boat up to 41mph at WOT and the cruising speed is around 32mph at 4500rpm.

I have put on a little over 100hrs on the motor during the last two months and I would highly recommend buying a Suzuki for those people out there who have any doubts about these motors. This motor has got more than enough power when the boat is fully loaded and is insanely fuel efficient. I have taken the boat to Catalina probably 6 or 7 times so far and I burn about 9-12 gallons for the entire trip, which makes it very cheap to operate.

This project was a great learning experience and I am extremely happy with how the boat turned out. I'm going to be selling this boat soon and moving up to either a 21' or 22' Outrage and I already have some ideas of what I want to do on my next build.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat Name
Kencraft CC
Looks super clean........ really really nice work!!!!

Question, so the big box behind the console is strictly a gas tank cover-up yeah? I like it, like it alot, but maybe you could also utilize that extra room/space above the tank for storage, maybe things like life preservers, bumpers or tackle or ??. Also, you might want to add some nice looking stainless vents on each side to help ventilate that area of gas fumes.

One of these on each side would not only give it an even more custom look, but also serve a good purpose to help ventilate that area of dangerous gas fumes.

image_135478_1_139648.jpg

$_35.JPG

2PCS-STAINLESS-STEEL-font-b-BOAT-b-font-LOUVERED-font-b-VENT-b-font-COVER-9.jpg

You did a crazy good job on that thing..... all the work looks factory and very custom!!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
Apr 30, 2012
Ca
Name
Bill
Boat Name
blackman fishmachine
I really like the large extended bow deck. Your work
Looks very good.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat Name
    the twisted ducker
    Dude, NAILED IT!!!

Upvote 0

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
    Aug 8, 2008
    Newport
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    Nicely done bud! Now load that thing up with c-bass... good seeing ya at the show!

Upvote 0