spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
77 Skippy 20 Open OB Spear-Fish III
If you cut carefully, you can squeeze another Garmin in, but it is tight. Nice having them flush mounted, I used to worry every time I stopped somewhere that it was going to get stolen when it was gimbal mounted.

IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0415.JPG

Upvote 0

Blackmankirk

Almost A Member
Aug 29, 2012
Costa Mesa CA U.S.A.
Name
Kirk
Boat
BUTTERMAKER
If you cut carefully, you can squeeze another Garmin in, but it is tight. Nice having them flush mounted, I used to worry every time I stopped somewhere that it was going to get stolen when it was gimbal mounted.

View attachment 636755 View attachment 636756
Dang, looks like the cockpit of helo. Maxed out elec award for a 20'r. I am twitching, going to mount everything and work with an elec guy on the rewire so I know how everything is done. 740s w starboard and Garmin AP port on the dash. I really want the visual so no nothing above the dash when sitting/driving. I am confident this hull will handle better than most hulls in my size range with a 300. Most newer style hulls have that 21 degree and I think I am at 17/18 but man these Skips are bow heavy, so much glass and I am running 50' chain and 50' of back of chain. She should sit nice. I know a higher cruz is ideal for some but at night or in the slop I like that 20 and und cruz. I hope to get everything rigged this week and post. Thanks for the comments.
IMG_2068.JPG

Upvote 0

Blackmankirk

Almost A Member
Aug 29, 2012
Costa Mesa CA U.S.A.
Name
Kirk
Boat
BUTTERMAKER
Tom does excellent work very nice ! Also makes awesome bait tanks
Thanks Dave, yeah Tom really was great. Who else is making custom overbuilt brackets on the West Coast! I figured I could try to figure out all the numbers and then pull the trigger on East coast bracket and hope I got it right. But he figured all that for me and I think he nailed it. He has been building brackets for a while now, I seen a bunch before I dove in and I think this was the call. I have 4 thick piping trusses inside my bracket to counter the torque of my engine and the swim step. I was impressed how he nailed the numbers. The engine tilts completely forward with 1" to spare without ever seeing my engine. He did have a bunch of tanks there too. Hand laid tanks looked and felt solid, those are a, some day for me.

Upvote 0

RESPECT

Aug 28, 2010
San Diego
Name
BILL
Boat
sold
Love it! My dream is to put twin OB's on my 25' Flybridge. And my idea is to have a large bait tank towards the front part of the existing motor compartment and have the bait tank be 1/3 below the deck to keep the center of gravity lower. All I need is time and money!
Love the posts on the DIY custom builds.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Love it! My dream is to put twin OB's on my 25' Flybridge. And my idea is to have a large bait tank towards the front part of the existing motor compartment and have the bait tank be 1/3 below the deck to keep the center of gravity lower. All I need is time and money!
I'd love to see that build.

The best rigged 20 open out there!

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
77 Skippy 20 Open OB Spear-Fish III
Awesome, looks like my boats big brother now. You got a nice ride there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackmankirk

Almost A Member
Aug 29, 2012
Costa Mesa CA U.S.A.
Name
Kirk
Boat
BUTTERMAKER
I could go on an on here, so I will. This was simply way better than I thought it would be. She now sits 1 inch higher than she used to. I can now get her to plane at 22mph/19kts no tabs, plugged with fuel and not fall off my planing speed. Tons of torque. I can slightly use the tabs and she will run on a plane/ to semi plane 14- 20mph and not drop off. Exactly what I wanted. Got a feel it in the chop and some slop and the Skip goes thu it. The 300 feels like it isn't working at all on that offplane to barely plane which I like for slop or night time. I know first off "whats the top end" or "how fast is your cruz", you ask. That was not the mentality going into this. Yeah I like to go fast but the overall performance at the low end I think is so important on so many levels and she checked all the boxes. I think working with Tom on the positive flotation and how it should work with everything really played a part in full custom experience. I've had the boat for about 3 years and really knew how it performed with the old i/o. Tom listened and we mapped it all out out. I enjoyed working with him on the custom side of the bracket. The engine tilts all the way forward to within 1" of the rub rail. He just nailed it. I had him overbuild everything for all the weight and torque. We also took some really good advice from Gonzolo at West Coast Marine. Gonzalo sees so many of these engines and brackets and his knowledge runs deep. I would not have done this if were not for Gonzolo. I had been asking him for a couple of years to find me a used engine and there it was. After the bracket was complete West Coast was ready to go and rigged it right away. I worked with Nick and he set up everything exactly how I wanted it. My elec guy had to bail out for a project so West Coast rigged helped me get on the water, Big thanks to these guys! I went for the new Yami gage instead of AP, could resist. So my buddy that has 26 Blackman was in for a spin, and I think he liked it. We played on the low end, it was clean so we opened her up. 46mph in no time at all and I didn't even trim her all the way up. That was loaded with fuel. I think I could prob do 50 but 46mph at 56/5700 rpms was enough for us. Anyways at 40 I was still under 5000 rpms, I think I was getting around 2.25. I could live with that if it was clean. Figured the best cruz was 28-29 mph at 3600 rpms 2.8mpg and 9.5 gph. I overthought this build for years. All that "if you want a boat with an outboard, buy a boat with an outboard" and "that is too much weight to put that far back" rang in my ears. I can now sleep at night. I sold boats for 4 years and I have ridden all kinds of boats in the 24 range. The 24 skipjack was my favorite with the i/o but this was on another level. The cost was not that bad and the crew that helped me was unreal and really fair on price. Thanks everyone that helped and to all that posted their i/o to o/b builds here, thank you! Not too many pics, having to much fun...
IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2191.JPG
IMG_2187.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackmankirk

Almost A Member
Aug 29, 2012
Costa Mesa CA U.S.A.
Name
Kirk
Boat
BUTTERMAKER

Thanks! I have an extra 30 gal tank down low. Standard Moller tank, I think it was about $200. I did't really notice any difference in rocking, maybe a little, gotta spend some more time on her. I think the extra length with the floatation might help offset rocking a bit. I was out with my bud who has a 26 Blackman and he thought my boat rode better than a 26 Skipjack flybridge he's been on a few times. That might be a bit of stretch cause he wouldn't admit it road better than his Blackman. Have you seen this guys 24 fly. Looks like it worked for him.
IMG_2615.jpg

Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
Few more questions:

Did you do all the patch work yourself? Did you fiberglass the hole? What did you use for filler?
What paint and color did you use? Looks great and matched very well
Did you have to redo all of the steering? Or did you use a combo of existing made to work with the outboard?

When I move soon Im going to be hunting for a 24'

Reactions: yocrow
Upvote 0

Blackmankirk

Almost A Member
Aug 29, 2012
Costa Mesa CA U.S.A.
Name
Kirk
Boat
BUTTERMAKER
Few more questions:

Did you do all the patch work yourself? Did you fiberglass the hole? What did you use for filler?
What paint and color did you use? Looks great and matched very well
Did you have to redo all of the steering? Or did you use a combo of existing made to work with the outboard?

When I move soon Im going to be hunting for a 24'

Tom did the patchwork, fiberglass/filler and paint. He powder coated the bracket then painted it to match up the color. He also mounted everything. His pricing was very fair.
I had cable steering. I ripped everything out.
Gonzolo rigged the Hydraulic steering. Also very fair.

I hope you find a good one. If I find one I will pass along.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Impressive. Reminds me of my skipjack from years ago, but not nearly as nice and well equipped as yours. Even so, I spent a bunch of time making a bait tank (actually twins, mid-cockpit, against port and starboard, respectively), and had a lot of great adventures with that boat. What kind of adventures do you have in mind? How far offshore? Target species? Primary use/mission? How much fuel will you carry? Range? Lot's of fun and adventure to be had!

Upvote 0

Blackmankirk

Almost A Member
Aug 29, 2012
Costa Mesa CA U.S.A.
Name
Kirk
Boat
BUTTERMAKER
Impressive. Reminds me of my skipjack from years ago, but not nearly as nice and well equipped as yours. Even so, I spent a bunch of time making a bait tank (actually twins, mid-cockpit, against port and starboard, respectively), and had a lot of great adventures with that boat. What kind of adventures do you have in mind? How far offshore? Target species? Primary use/mission? How much fuel will you carry? Range? Lot's of fun and adventure to be had!

Thanks! I am going to run it for a while this winter to settle on where I am going to put another tank. My idea is to have a 45gal that connects to a station with sink and hot water heater below. Pull out hose for hot water shower. I am going to try to plan the tank so the cutting board will fold over the gunnel and I can send scraps overboard. My bag is 28 gal so that and a 45 should be ok for 24'r. I am going to transom mount a pump for the bag and then keep the thuhull for the 45 with wash down. I could see how you could spend a bunch a time making your tanks. I do like to run to the islands n enjoy all they have to offer and fishing is fun there as well. Like you said, many adventures and fun just can't talk about most of them. The cabin is ok for 2 but now that the deck is open and I have a cover for the back, I'll be sprawling out on the blow up mattress. Definitely plan on going long distance to fish. I have a 105 and 30gal tank so I figure I have easy 300 mi range maybe 350 or 380 if its clean. I still have no idea what my mpg will be when I get lower on fuel. I still have 90 gal left from our last trip. Thanks forgot to bring the vision forward.

Reactions: mokahehteh
Upvote 0