skillett

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
Looks like you'll be needing a 90 degree drill....the PB Blaster is still helpful. Also...are your spark plugs MR? The MR plugs are marine grade stainless that wont seize in the head. On all of your exhaust manifold bolts it's good to apply antiseize compound on the threads, this will save you from revisiting the broken bolt syndrome again.... Oh, one more thing....take a ball peen hammer, smack that broken bolt once or twice good, a dead blow hammer is even better (steel head). This helps to free stuck threads too....If I think a bolt might be or is tough to remove, Ill rapp em with a hammer before even attempting to remove. Good luck.

Reactions: PassTheSoySauce

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
actually it will be a straight shot at the bolt, just a funky angle with the camera. I will have lots of pics once I tackle this guy.

The Spark Plugs are just regular ole plugs from pep boys. When I went to buy the stuff from west marine, the guy told me not to waste my money on the marine grade plugs and other easily wearable parts. He said to just go to a auto parts store for that kind of stuff. He did add though that if it was a part that is mot considered a "wearable" part, than I should spend the extra money. It seemed like a logical tip. I will make sure to use the anti-seize compound.

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
As far as your riser bolt not gabbing is the riser bolt threads worn or is the manifold thread area stripped-out?
Thank you for the tips i'm sorry for the late response. I had to spend a few weeks updating an outdated steering system and am happy to report it all went in without a hitch.

So I went ahead and bought new bolts for the risers, and then ran a tap into the bolt holes on the exhaust manifolds. I was able to get a much better grip on the old bolts, however they look worn as well. When the new bolts arrive next week I should be able to get a nice seal.

Reactions: trlrtrsh67

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
Well, Im not sure about "wearable parts"....all wear at some rate. Starters, alternators and fuel pumps wear and the three should never be anything but marine grade...the other stuff just wont last....just sayin.

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
Well, Im not sure about "wearable parts"....all wear at some rate. Starters, alternators and fuel pumps wear and the three should never be anything but marine grade...the other stuff just wont last....just sayin.
yeah, those wold be purchased marine grade. basically I understood it as: if you would replace it routinely than save the money and go automotive. if it is something that will be there for a while go marine grade.

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
Project boats will always throw some surprises at you. If the broken bolt starts to become a PIA trying to remove it, it is easily removed by an EDM machine. Check your area for a guy that does it. Some guys are mobile, or you can trailer to their shop. Google EDM bolt removel, and youtube has vid's about it. If you drill off center for a easy out, your looking at a new block because the mani bolts wont align with a off center re-tapped hole in the block. Keep posting your updates,,,gregg

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
Gregg, It's a exhaust header bolt....not the block. Worst case scenario is to replace the head...

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
Yeah, it's the exhaust header. Thanks for the tip on the EDM, if I have issues I will check that out.

I am heading down in a little bit to try and get that bolt out. If all goes well I may just have this thing in the water by next week. Wish me luck, I will post pics later tonight.

talltale

Feb 20, 2008
yucaipa
Name
chris
Boat
23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
I love your ambition and energy! Kind of reminds me of me many years back. Haha. Anyway, marine starters, alternators, and any below deck electrical component is spark proof to avoid explosion hazards. If it's not coast guard approved, don't use it. Just saying. Good luck with your project.

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
One last...grind/file the end of the bolt flat, then ping a spot with a center punch to start ur drill....sorry if Im stating the obvious... Let us know if you gat to the water this weekend, Ill possibly be there myself n do some fishin! Good luck!!

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
I love your ambition and energy! Kind of reminds me of me many years back. Haha. .
X2! Growing-up, A few times dad came home with a few Project hulls & it was mostly me doing the grunt of the work.
Put together 3 different project boats in my teens, hanging motors / repower, complete rewire, glass work, paint, ect
Now I look at them, & say #[email protected]! that....

Last edited:

brokeass boater

Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
opps, I had to go back and read what I typed,, yea new head,, duh,, thanks for that guys. I'm a big fan of EDM technology. I had a broken bolt in Bravo Transom plate. Tried the PB Blaster and a Snap-On extractor. The bolt was pretty frozen and snapped the extractor even with lots of heat. When you get down to 3/8" bolts the extractors get pretty small and even a Snap -On breaks on the tough jobs. I dropped the Transom plate with the broken extractor stuck in it also off at a shop and and picked it up the next day, nice clean threads. The guy charged me 45.00 and I was on my way. Hell, I bought the Snap On 25 piece extractor kit for well over a 100.00. He's is set up as a mobile also. Its the best option for a stubborn repair, IMHO,,,gregg

Last edited:

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
******************UPDATE*******************

Ok, so after 11 months, $13,000, and a lot of headaches and restless nights. THE BOAT IS READY FOR WATER!!!

So I ended up hiring a mechanic to finish the engine/sterndrive work. And it took him 4 months (mostly doing nothing) to finish her. Although I had to wait, I must say I am happy with the finished product. Lets just say:

machined heads
all new gaskets
fully serviced heat exchanger
all new pumps (every pump, for everything imaginable)
fully serviced carb
new thermostat
all new hoses, everywhere
SS fuel lines
brand new risers
brand new exhaust manifolds
fully rehabbed ignition system
fully serviced sterndrive with all new seals and rubber everything
new running lights
new horn
new rod holders
new vinyl seat cushions
new steering cables
new VHF and antenna
Up to date CG safety gear + some extras JIC
US Boat tow membership

And i'm sure there is a lot more that I have purposefully forgot. HOWEVER! Tomorrow I will be installing the last hose to connect the bait pump (a new Jabsco), and then I will be firing her up, adjusting the timing with the mechanic, and dropping her in the water. To say the least, I am beyond ecstatic. I am bringing the new camera, and am ready to take some shots of her in the water, I just couldn't wait to post this!!! Pics to follow tomorrow night!!!

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
Just saw ur post...how's she running? I'm headingfor SBI late friday night to fish saturday....launching from CI so we can drag some lures over the hidden bank on the way there n back...

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
She sounds and runs great! I have taken her out twice now, and am happy to say she chased down her first yellowfin just last week! Unfortunately I have a bad control cable which stopped working once we reached La Jolla on the way home. a quick stop for some rockies, and it stopped shifting into reverse. luckily it went forward with no issues, and I was able to get it on the trailer on the first try.

here are a couple pics and a link to a video we took of a grey whale while we were trolling.

boat trailer.jpg

first tuna on the boat.jpg

Reactions: canderson88

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
So after way too long between updates, here we go.

After getting her in the water four times last year, she finally broke down. Luckily only 250ft from the dock. It ended up being the alternator which I easily identified. Regardless, it was late October and I decided to stop spending money before the holidays, and my girlfriends and I's vacation to Belize (caught a bunch of snapper).

Anyways, I got back to it in late February, and decided to start a bit of wiring projects that I knew needed to be done. What I thought was just going to be a few wires, quickly turned in to a whole rewire job. I bit the bullet, and 8 weeks later she has ZERO original wires, new gauges and anything else that they may have been attached to. New starter, alternator and fuse blocks/bus terminals, double crimped marine terminals and every connection has been covered with heat shrink tubing. To finish her off I got 2 brand new batteries, made new cables and finished with a new battery switch. Not taking a single chance here.

After a couple weeks of not being able to get her to fully start, only moments of magic, I realized I forgot to hook the wire to the + side of the coil to power. Once connected, she started right up.

Now that she runs, I needed a new dash to hold all the new fancy switches and gauges. That is where I'm at now. With any hope, she will be a fishing machine by the begining of July. Here a pic of the new dash face. I will upload more thi
s weekend once I bundle up the wires behind the new dash.

IMG_20160610_093726669_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: skillett

Echospace619

Jun 30, 2017
San Diego, Ca
Name
Andrew Kezele
Boat
21' Fiberform
IMG_8913.JPG
IMG_8915.JPG
IMG_8916.JPG
IMG_8917.JPG
This thread has been super helpful as I've adopted this beauty while Brandon pursues life's other adventures. So here we go, I don't have a lot of time to work on her, but when I do, I have to really get after it. I managed to remove the old dash and relocate and re-wire the gauges. Also relocated and re-wired switches and added deck lighting for those early morning bait runs. Slowly but surely we'll be fishing soon. (big thanks to my assistant Baker James for helping get in those tight spots!)

Coobie1

Dec 5, 2014
SD East County
Name
Matt
Boat
21 Fiberform
So, this boat has a new owner, ME! We are going through it as we speak and should be back on the water soon!

I'll keep you posted

21 Fiberform.png