1978 Fiber Form, 21ft

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
Hey everyone, and welcome to my new project!

I just picked this up from the previous owner's house yesterday evening, and have actually had time today to go through the owners manual and paperwork (every bit of it, dating back to the original bill of sale). The boat itself has been dry for 5 YEARS!!! however with my time working on chevy engines all through autoshop in high school and my moderate knowledge of boats I feel it is a project well worth the time and effort. Here are the specs:

1978 Fiber Form 21 ft custom
280 volvo penta I/O
engine has a cracked riser, however both will be replaced and manifolds will be inspected. I will also be checking the Impellor in the water pump and changing out the engine oil.

1-70 gallon main aluminum fuel tank as well as 2 aluminum 15 gallon reserve tanks
Fuel lines will all be replaced, no questions asked there.
there is apparently 50 gallons of gas in the main tank that must be emptied. any ideas on what to do with it?

The boat itself is in amazing shape other than a bit of weathering on the wood, however there are no cracks, and a light sand and varnish will fix that.

Most of the electronics are from the 80's including a vhf/fm radio, fishfinder(with paper fed display) and 2 - CB radio's

The boat is a double fiberglass hull and has a strong Deep-V design, made for offshore. completely walk around with a small cuddy cabin as well as a porta potty for my girl!

Here are some pics to enjoy, and I will be sure to update as the project moves along. please feel free to throw in any suggestions, as this is my first rebuild! I'm looking to do this right not fast.

627578_1.jpg

10406783_816674198366427_4502254488067740740_n.jpg

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
You could put what I know about boats in a thimble but I love seeing people make their dreams come alive. Go for it man! :)

Reactions: PassTheSoySauce

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
You could put what I know about boats in a thimble but I love seeing people make their dreams come alive. Go for it man! :)
Thanks man! It has been a dream for 20 years since i was a pinhead on the New Seaforth

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Looks super clean. Good luck with her.

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
14' Gregor / IMP 220 Sportsman WA
Keep the pics coming. Nice boat! I haven't started a project post yet but I've got an '89 IMP 22' and the lines on these two boats are nearly identical. Doing the fuel lines today actually. Where are your aux fuel tanks mounted?

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
Keep the pics coming. Nice boat! I haven't started a project post yet but I've got an '89 IMP 22' and the lines on these two boats are nearly identical. Doing the fuel lines today actually. Where are your aux fuel tanks mounted?
The left one is located right behind the folded down seat in this picture, the other one is opposite next to the drivers seat

IMG_0639.JPG

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
I will post more pics of the aux fuel tanks tomorrow. do you have any recommendations on removing old fuel from a tank? that will be step 1 this week.

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
Ok, so I was able to take off the broken riser and while I was down there I took off the exhaust manifold for an cleaning and inspection. The riser is cracked and I will replace both, however the manifold was still in good shape. The small bit of corrosion in the manifold flaked off easily to clean metal. Here are the pics:

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Really hard to tell from that pic but see the restricted small water passages around the outside of the actual exhaust port in the exhaust manifold, thats not considered "good"
the 2 longer rectangle port & 4 smaller ports, water ports!
they get build-up & passages get smaller which blocks / restricted water flow.
Further down the passage deep in the manifold, what does that look like? blockage?
Riser most likely cracked due to insufficient water flow to the riser from he blockage in the exh manifold, causing excessive heat...

Last edited:

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
Really hard to tell from that pic but see the restricted small water passages in the exhaust manifold, thats not considered "good"
The small ports had a bit of buildup at the connection point with the riser, however they look clean otherwise. I am going to soak them in an acid wash to remove any surface rust. the gasket seats are in good shape with little if any pitting.

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
I've got around 40 gallons sitting in mine but its been less than a year so I should be good. Added some Stabil and towed it around to slosh it up. Going to put it on Big Bear in a week or so and try to burn off some of it. Still smells good. I'll start a post soon. The only differences are the portholes and the dash. Good luck with the project!

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
Ok, so here is the update on my progression:

I have decided to utilize an old school technique and soak my exhaust manifolds in white distilled vinegar. This is a trick i learned in high school auto shop and will say it is the coolest trick ever! Overall they will spend a week to 10 days submerged. After just 3 days the corrosion in the water ports is starting to flake off, and the water has turned to a black rusty color. if it works as planned it should look like brand new shiny metal. They will be nuetrilized in a water bath with baking soda, I will then paint them and install them with new gaskets.

I ordered 2 brand new Exhaust Risers and they shipped out Friday morning. They arrived Friday afternoon. So i have a week to sit and stare at them before they can be installed.

My girlfriend and I decided to utilize the extra time by sanding and refinishing the wood accents around the boat. as you can see in one of the pictures the hatches are pretty sun bleached. Just a little elbow grease and a palm sander they looked brand new. we rubbed in 3 coats of teak oil and conditioner and I will be applying some varnish today to seal them up.

Next up: replace the fuel lines & siphon out 50 gallons of gas. yay.

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
The wood came out nice! So, does that transom fish box have two overboard drains on either side of the boat? Somebody cut off half of my wood lids and slid in some Plano style tackle tray organizers. Seems like an ok size fish box for rockfish but it'll never do for tuna etc.

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
The wood came out nice! So, does that transom fish box have two overboard drains on either side of the boat? Somebody cut off half of my wood lids and slid in some Plano style tackle tray organizers. Seems like an ok size fish box for rockfish but it'll never do for tuna etc.
Thanks, the wood looks great. I do have 2 transom drains that expel water with forward motion, but the clear the deck of water, not the fish boxes. The fish boxes are located under those wood panels and are tiny as you said. Rock cod only. I want to have 2 aluminum boxes made to replace them since they are beat up. Anyone on here a rig welder?

image.jpg

disD1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 26, 2014
Marina del Rey
Name
andy
Boat
disD1
I rebuilt a Fiberform so similar to this, same 280 Volvo, but cuddy cabin, not walk-around. Sold it before ever getting a ride in it.

My S-22 has similar small fish boxes at the stern. But there is also a large fish box under the cockpit sole; this one requires a macerator/pump. Photo shows those small boxes; both drain overboard. Not sure how to make best use of these. If I insulated them, they'd hold all the drinks.

Last edited:

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
My transom fishbox is almost the full width of the boat instead of two separate boxes. If I'm correct, your auxiliary tanks are above the deck, built into the sides of the walkaround? Hope the project is moving along well. I keep finding those little things that need attention as I move along my hit list. Fuel lines are done and I'm working on the outdrive now. Post some pics when you have the time, I've got my thread started, maybe we can get some ideas off of each other!

Zululander

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 28, 2006
Clairmont
Name
Andrew
Boat
Grady White Custom 22
i had a similar issue with old gas. i went to Home Depot and bought a few red gas cans and filled them up. then every time i filled up my truck i added a few gallons. that way i burned it up and it just mixed with all the good gas.

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
My transom fishbox is almost the full width of the boat instead of two separate boxes. If I'm correct, your auxiliary tanks are above the deck, built into the sides of the walkaround? Hope the project is moving along well. I keep finding those little things that need attention as I move along my hit list. Fuel lines are done and I'm working on the outdrive now. Post some pics when you have the time, I've got my thread started, maybe we can get some ideas off of each other!
Sorry for the delay in posting. I order my parts online and have been waiting patiently for them to arrive. T - 2 days and counting. My auxiliary gas tanks are exactly where you said and are extremely easy to get to. I will get some pics on Thursday when I finally can get back to work.

Today I was able to remove 10 gallons or so of fuel from the tank, it will take a week to use it so I will be pawning it off on my broke friends over the next week. I did however get the bimini top's hardware replaced, and have my new spark plugs in place. I was also able to remove my exhaust manifolds from the vinegar and get them cleaned up. I have a picture below, but ignore the surface rust. It will be removed in the coming days and painted blue. The cooling ports that were a bit corroded a couple weeks ago are looking much better and are clearly allowing water to flow through them. As I said before, I will post some more pics as soon as more parts arrive

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
Well, it's been a while since I posted, It's wedding season, and I'm a Chef. The important thing is, I have used my off time to get some work done on the boat.

So after cleaning the exhaust manifolds, I took the time to clean them up and give them a fresh paint job. After curing, I reinstalled them as well as the 2 new Risers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
Once I reinstalled the exhaust system, I began to focus on the cooling system. I replaced the raw water pump, and cleaned out all of the hoses. They all seemed to be in good condition.

I moved on to the fuel system. I replaced all of my fuel lines (48ft of them) and fuel filters. Checked the tanks and connection points, and finally replaced the fuel pump.

Next up was the ignition system. New coil, distributor cap, plugs and wires. I also installed new battery cables and 2 new batteries .

Finally it was maintenance time. I squirted about 4 oz of marvel mystery oil into each cylinder through the plug holes and allowed it to sit for three days. In the mean time I adjusted my initial timing, checked to see if I was getting power (I was), and cleaned up a bit. I was also able to lube the outdrive and check and top off the fluid.

Finally it was time to fire her up!

After deciding not to drain the rest of the gas from the tank, I added 2 cans of sea foam and a 1 bottle of ethanol boost. The gas smelled new, was clear and free of debris, and was sealed in a tank undisturbed.

Now was the time. I poured a bit of gas into the carb, stood back, and turned the key. After a few rough grumbles, she started right up. I have a video, but can't get it to upload quite yet. I'll figure it out eventually.

PassTheSoySauce

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
I have since installed a new VHF radio and 8' antenna, as well as a new fish finder.

All that's left before the big first voyage is to install a new rack and pinion steering system and install new automatic drain plugs, the ones that look like a duck bill. If anyone has tips on installing these things, it would be greatly appreciated! They are used to drain water from the deck when the boat is in motion, and stick out the back of the transom just below the water line.

Anyways, thanks for reading!