1975 Boston Whaler Montauk 17' Rebuild (ongoing)

SteveW

Jun 4, 2013
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
1986 Boston Whaler Montauk 17
Here are some pictures of a Boston Whaler Montauk 17 I snagged off of craigslist...drove up to Palm Springs to get it. I have some ideas of how want it to look, but for right now I just want to get it cleaned up/patched and painted.

Started off removing all the hardware and a crap ton of screws. The console was so rotten I'm surprised it didn't disintegrate when I drove it back down to San Diego. Managed to get rid of the motor to a good person I met when I posted it for free...he helped lift it off with an a-frame.

Used a floor jack and blocked it up and off the trailer. I had the trailer sand blasted, primed and epoxy coated at El Dorado coatings in San Diego....looks brand new.

Sanded down all the non-skid and patched up all the rub rail holes and deck holes.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1889.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG
IMG_1900.JPG
IMG_1906.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1982.JPG
IMG_2021.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG
IMG_2060.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG
IMG_2099.JPG

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Line-x! I love it! Always wondered why more boats didn't go that direction. Seems like a no brainer to have traction and easy clean up.

Upvote 0

gunnyslinger

Steady 1’s and 2’s
Mar 15, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Justin
Boat
20’ CC
Line-x! I love it! Always wondered why more boats didn't go that direction. Seems like a no brainer to have traction and easy clean up.
I explored this option when I restored my 16' CC. My only issue was the amount of weight it would potentially add.

Bitchin job so far. Will follow for updates.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I explored this option when I restored my 16' CC. My only issue was the amount of weight it would potentially add.

Bitchin job so far. Will follow for updates.
That is true. Adds at least 30-50lbs I bet. But it's spread so evenly it may be a good thing for these light weight whalers.

Reactions: Aliikai17
Upvote 0

SteveW

Jun 4, 2013
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
That is true. Adds at least 30-50lbs I bet. But it's spread so evenly it may be a good thing for these light weight whalers.
Yeah...it adds about 30-50lbs. But it is spread out over the whole boat. I think its minimal since I generally fish alone or with one other person.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
The issue I've seen using rhino liner, line-x and the likes, is that I have seen quite a few boats where the stuff started peeling up over a short time, and getting pretty bad........ very similar to what you see with many cars and their clear coat failing.

Boat looks good though...... hope your line-x outlasts the ones i've seen ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
That is likely because of bad prep. If you sand it down with 40 grit before you spray, there should be no peeling for a very long time. The one thing I have on my deck and gunnel that I really love is Kiwi Grip. It's been there for years and is stronger than gel coat. No discoloring, chipping, or anything. It wears down a bit where I step a lot but overall, best product I know for nonskid. Could Kiwi Grip a whole skiff!

Reactions: Secutor54
Upvote 0

SteveW

Jun 4, 2013
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
The issue I've seen using rhino liner, line-x and the likes, is that I have seen quite a few boats where the stuff started peeling up over a short time, and getting pretty bad........ very similar to what you see with many cars and their clear coat failing.

Boat looks good though...... hope your line-x outlasts the ones i've seen ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

I hear you...but I think this formula has come a long way. It feels like it is almost impossible to peel up. I would think that your basic top coat paint or any roll on non-skid is no match for this stuff...we'll see

Upvote 0

SteveW

Jun 4, 2013
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
That is likely because of bad prep. If you sand it down with 40 grit before you spray, there should be no peeling for a very long time. The one thing I have on my deck and gunnel that I really love is Kiwi Grip. It's been there for years and is stronger than gel coat. No discoloring, chipping, or anything. It wears down a bit where I step a lot but overall, best product I know for nonskid. Could Kiwi Grip a whole skiff!

I have to agree with you....I sanded down all of the surfaces with 60 and 80 grit. The guys at El Cajon sound it down further and used their primer (red stuff). It feels bullet proof.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

SteveW

Jun 4, 2013
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
going to build a console in the next week or so and probably gonna get it Line-x'd as well....saves you on the finish work. I'll radius all the edges with a router and then glass it all up....then Line-x

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
how much did it cost you to have it Line-x'd ?

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
It will be good to see how she is doing in a couple of years. As far as the console is concerned, don't make it too wide like i did!

Reactions: SteveW
Upvote 0

SteveW

Jun 4, 2013
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
Got the boat flipped over and started using stripper and sanding. What a pain in the a$$....worth the effort since I'm cheap labor.

A lot of the gelcoat is gone (3rd pic) where the antifouling paint was and I can see some fiberglass fibers. I need some advice from the pros.

My thoughts are:

1. Finish the other side
2. Fair out the areas where there are low spots
3. Coat with West Systems epoxy
4. Cover with Interlux 2000E barrier coat
5. Roll tip Interlux Brightsides

Will that work to keep the hull water tight? Should I do anything else? Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_2203.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_2210.JPG
IMG_2212.JPG

Reactions: got2fishsd
Upvote 0

SteveW

Jun 4, 2013
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
got some work done yesterday and this morning....put a coat of Interlux 2000E barrier coat. Its coming a long...

IMG_2220.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2225.JPG

Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
Did you ever consider just gelcoating the boat?You've done all the prep work. Should cost less than $1500 for the whole underside.

Upvote 0