1974 homemade boat

Sfeagan

Sep 18, 2020
South Carolina
Name
Scott L Feagan
Boat
14' fiberglass
I've got a fiberglass boat that was built by my uncle in 1974. I'm from the space coast in Florida and my uncle worked for a local business that built boats but mine was his design. It's been painted a couple times over the years and the transom has been replaced once. It's time to rebuild the transom again which I think there's a couple of guys near me to do fiberglass work but I'm wondering if I can save money by prepping the gelcoat prior. I know a little about glass work but not a lot. Most of the gelcoat is coming out with a puddy knife. What is the best way for me to prep the boat to save some money? Thank you for any advice

20200914_183844.jpg

20200916_070648.jpg

20200918_194537.jpg

20200918_194547.jpg

20200918_194600.jpg

Done_Deal

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
I think what you need to do 1st is determine why the transom keeps needing replacement.

Sfeagan

Sep 18, 2020
South Carolina
Name
Scott L Feagan
Boat
14' fiberglass
I think what you need to do 1st is determine why the transom keeps needing replacement.
The transom is wood with fiberglass overlayed. With I being 46 years old I think it's done pretty good but I do understand what you're saying. There have been a few holes drilled in it for different reasons but I always used a marine caulking in the holes before the bolt or screw went in. I'm hoping I can get it repaired with solid fiberglass.

Sfeagan

Sep 18, 2020
South Carolina
Name
Scott L Feagan
Boat
14' fiberglass
maybe a waste of money and time to rebuild ...
That might be true but because it was built by my uncle for my dad and I grew up duck hunting and fishing in that boat and my kids have grown up fishing in that boat it's priceless to me. Spending some money every 20 years to rebuild a small transom is ok with me. It's a great all-around boat. This thing has been offshore in the keys many of times by my Dad years ago. Very stable boat! Thanks for the input though 😁

Reactions: sickcat

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
That might be true but because it was built by my uncle for my dad and I grew up duck hunting and fishing in that boat and my kids have grown up fishing in that boat it's priceless to me. Spending some money every 20 years to rebuild a small transom is ok with me. It's a great all-around boat. This thing has been offshore in the keys many of times by my Dad years ago. Very stable boat! Thanks for the input though 😁
well if that's the case.. and you feel that strong about then rebuild it spend the money...

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
How was the transom "rebuilt"? Was it totally replaced or just repaired?
If it was just repaired, it is time to replace it. It might take just as much time to replace as it would to repair it. and not cost that much more in materials. then you will have "no worries" for another 10 - 20 years.

Sfeagan

Sep 18, 2020
South Carolina
Name
Scott L Feagan
Boat
14' fiberglass
How was the transom "rebuilt"? Was it totally replaced or just repaired?
If it was just repaired, it is time to replace it. It might take just as much time to replace as it would to repair it. and not cost that much more in materials. then you will have "no worries" for another 10 - 20 years.
It was totally replaced. It was so long ago I'm not sure when. Just going my what my dad told me.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
It was totally replaced. It was so long ago I'm not sure when. Just going my what my dad told me.
your fiberglass guys should be able to give you some advice or help in the total replacement. If the glass is good on the inside of the transom, you might be able to leave that intact and just attack it from the exterior
check out - youtube replace boat transom

remember that its a beater local duck/fw fishing boat that just needs to float and hold an outboard - not a prize winning show boat. you'll be good. :)

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Once you pry out/grind out all that gel on the topside you'll have to lay some more glass down to seal it and make it fair. You can probably get away with a layer of 1.5oz CSM throughout and then a good topside paint. As for the transom they're not that difficult. Many good videos online and posts on various forums. Weekend project once you have the materials.

The great thing about boats is that there's literally no mistake you can make that you can't grind out and do over. Putting your sweat equity into that boat to keep it around to pass on to yet another generation is priceless. Look up Boatworks Today on YouTube and familiarize yourself with some of the techniques required for the deck and the transom. Some of Andy's most recent videos address these very issues.

South Florida has some great fiberglass supply stores that sell everything you need at great prices. You can get poly resin for just over $20 a gallon and glass for $2 a yard.

Do it man.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
The transom is wood with fiberglass overlayed. With I being 46 years old I think it's done pretty good but I do understand what you're saying. There have been a few holes drilled in it for different reasons but I always used a marine caulking in the holes before the bolt or screw went in. I'm hoping I can get it repaired with solid fiberglass.
That may be part of the reason it has failed again.

When drilling a hole for a bolt/screw oversize the hole 30-40% and fill with epoxy. Then drill the hole to the size needed. That way when the caulking fails there is no wood exposed to water. It may save your kids from having to rebuild it again. In this case skipping a generation is a good thing! :D

Sweet skiff - good on you for not only keeping the memories alive but making new ones!

Reactions: Pacific Jigger

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
When I built the Done Deal, all penetration's were drilled oversize, coated with neat epoxy and then filled with thickened epoxy. When cured the final sized hole was drilled through solid cured epoxy.