I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
Hey,
There is an 18ft custom fishing/diving boat listed on craigslist today that I'm trying to get info on. The owner says it is a beachcraft hull that someone modified to fit a sponson on. I'm going to take a look at it tomarrow, but if anybody has any info about this boat I'd appreciate it... Thanks!!!http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/1549409499.html

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
Just wanted to add that the entry looks really deep and the bottom of the hull has a destinctive look that I don't recognize... Owner say it rides similar to a glasspro, but I don't know.

beauchat

Jan 12, 2009
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Name
Russ
Boat
17 Radon
Not familiar with beachraft but I believe that this boat was moored in a slip at Heeia pier for awhile. Looks very similar to a glasspro. If you look at the rear photo you can see the two chines built onto the bottom of each side. The boat must be extremely stable. I've seen chines like that added to bigger boats like sportsfishing charters and stuff. Ive also seen those glassed onto a 19 foot bottom fishing boat over in waianae. It probably helps alot with downsea handling too ( or it could be totally opposite and affect it in a weird way) only one way to find out is to take a ride.

For the price if the hull is cherry maybe you can offer him a lower price and purchase a 4 stroke.

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
Add on Chines? I didn't know there was such a thing. Def going to take a look, just to learn more. A 4 stroke would be a must for me....

beauchat

Jan 12, 2009
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Name
Russ
Boat
17 Radon
You can add anything on if you know how to glass i guess.Those dont look added on, but i've seen big 40+ sportfishers that had chines added on while the boat was drydocked. Not the whole length of the hull but on the rear sides about a couple inches out and a few feet long. The chines on the beachcraft look like ovesized reverse chines. Its the same theory as you'll see on many boats including the glasspars and some akii kais. Its that line a few inches about the waterline located on the side of the boat towards the rear

http://inlinethumb32.webshots.com/44383/2441031660099263945S500x500Q85.jpg

This is on the side and heres an examply of an underwater chine added

http://www.thesmartrail.com/images/2005%20boats%20with%20rails/viking_sportfish_stern-600.jpg

hb1111

Apr 11, 2009
honolulu hi usa
Name
skipper
Boat
wanna be
i had a boat just like that i bought it as a hawaiian fisherman, very stable and rode pretty good... those fins were in the mold not added on not a bad deal only prob is that 125 hp anchor sitting on the back

cheehuli

May 22, 2009
Kaneohe Hi.
Name
Chase
Boat
24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
This may be worth checking out....if it's an original Alii kai. I have not personally seen the starwind marine Alii's but alot of folks steer clear of them because of lack of quality.
17' Alii Kai

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
Checked it out today and I think I'm going to pass on it. It would make a good first boat, but it needs a lot of work. Spending the money to fix the boat plus pick up a new motor would put me over my budget. The guy selling it is very honest and reasonable. Anyways, thanks for the help and info..

Hey DPR, I called the guy selling the aliikai and it is an original 1986 hull first owner. I might take a look at it, but the floors are soft and need to be replaced. Would the transom have to be replaced too? Anyone know about how much that would cost? The boats been garage kept from day 1 so the hull should be solid.

beauchat

Jan 12, 2009
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Name
Russ
Boat
17 Radon
While I was looking for a new boat I spoke to several local builders. One of them gave me some good advice in checking the transom. First off make a visual inspection of the transom, that should give you a good idea of things, soft spots, unsealed holes etc. Also have the owner tilt the motors up so that the legs are far from the transom vertical line. Grasp the prop or below the prop and push down on the lower unit to see if the transom flexes. If its rotten, it should flex, if not, pushing down on the prop should bounce the entire boat up and down.

spooledagain

Does it taste as good as it looks
Jan 30, 2009
san diego, c.a.
Name
mark
Boat
Konagold
Hey bro- I bought my ride on craigslist, THe yellow one in my avatar. Its really nice and good deals can be found there. However i do know that the force engine is no Bueno, and i wouldnt touch it. Always do research on da motors!! A four stroke will give you alot of use, and are pretty fuel efficent. All my 2-strokes have all been good as well and tend to haul ass. Just be careful on what brand esp. outboards!!! Yamaha, evenrude, and mercury tend to make good ones! Good luck bro-

Blesum

Apr 1, 2006
Oahu, Hawaii
Name
Paul
Boat
Yamaha FXHO
Hey Brandon,

I saw the ad the other day as well and went, "hmmm....'

However, self-bailing is a must for me because as divers, we're not on our boats for extended periods of time. Also when going after uluas, I usually go to high-current areas, and sometimes the current can push so hard that the boat (or pwc) will turn around and show it's ass to the wind and oncoming wind chop which could sink a low-hulled boat quickly. I know there's bilge pumps but those can fail to activate, run out of juice or just not start pumping. I just want that peace of mind as I'm swimming around. I don't want to end up with pictures like Derek Levault's.

That's why I'm thinking a Boston Whaler is what I would want. 17-21 ft... Nothing decent on craigslist right now at a good price. There's one 17' on there that has been up for sale for like forever now (out in Laie pt I think) that you might be able to land with a lowball offer if you're interested in trying.

-Paul

beauchat

Jan 12, 2009
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Name
Russ
Boat
17 Radon
Paul,

Not all boston whalers are flush deck. The motauks arent. But they are foam filled so I guess it'll at least still be floating when you get back to your boat even though its swamped.

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
Thanks for the advice guys,
Russ, I will do that check to every boat from now on.
Mark, you are right about that force motor (junk) that's probably why they don't make um anymore....
Paul, I'm also a diver and agree that the whaler on clist would make someone a great dive boat. It is exactly what I wanted for a long time, but now I'm looking for something that is built more fishable. I can always dive off a trolling boat, might look a tad bit odd though... By the way, you bought my edge fins a long time ago. I don't know if you remember. We never met though cause your wife picked them up.

cheehuli

May 22, 2009
Kaneohe Hi.
Name
Chase
Boat
24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
Checked it out today and I think I'm going to pass on it. It would make a good first boat, but it needs a lot of work. Spending the money to fix the boat plus pick up a new motor would put me over my budget. The guy selling it is very honest and reasonable. Anyways, thanks for the help and info..

Hey DPR, I called the guy selling the aliikai and it is an original 1986 hull first owner. I might take a look at it, but the floors are soft and need to be replaced. Would the transom have to be replaced too? Anyone know about how much that would cost? The boats been garage kept from day 1 so the hull should be solid.
Hmmmmm....soft floors eh.....I'm not too experienced with knowing what to expect when going into the floors....best bet would be to check it out and if the transom, stringers, hull, and motors are solid give the guy a low offer and see what comes of it.
I took my father in law with me when I was boat searching since he knows alot about structural integrity on boats as well as a bunch about engines. It's always good to take somebody who can offer some guidance and also provide a second pair of eyes.

Aloha_Marine

Oct 21, 2009
Hilo ,HI ,USA
Name
Warren Berdon
Boat
all types
This may be worth checking out....if it's an original Alii kai. I have not personally seen the starwind marine Alii's but alot of folks steer clear of them because of lack of quality.
17' Alii Kai

being the last Berdon in the boating industry i can say 100% any true alli kai and not a illegal starwind clone will have its serial number start with GPX and before im asked what does the GPX mean i belive (Havent had time to talk to my uncle about it ) goes back to when my uncle first made glasspro boats back in the 70s

East Side

Certified Masterb8er
Feb 16, 2010
Kaneohe
Name
James
Boat
23' Custom, Caroline II
Paul,

Not all boston whalers are flush deck. The motauks arent. But they are foam filled so I guess it'll at least still be floating when you get back to your boat even though its swamped.
Yep the 17' montauk has to be one of the better model whalers ever made, it can handle a load & it's a good riding boat overall (for it's size).

As for what Paul was talking about the whaler in Laie, i know that boat personally & it's a solid boat but the engine is iffy, i'd change that out right off the bat but other than that structurally it's good to go & do whatever you wanna do.

Addicted2fishin

where's da fish
Jun 16, 2006
Hawaii
Name
RJ
Boat
19 Glasspro, 17 Ali'i Kai
Thanks Warren. Both my boats were Berdon built. One still going since the 70's.