187 FISH is gone forever!

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by bman440440, Jun 18, 2016.

1. HookEmDanO

HookEmDanO Huhuhuge member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    I am very curious as to what was the cause...as I have a 1997 2352

sooooooooooooooo sorry for the loss

2. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Would love to hear a little more on this later as well.

My guess would be fumes inside the engine compartment (leaky fuel line, gas tank leak, fuel filter,or something similar?), and right when someone turned the key to start...... boom!

Pretty much nearly every year something like this happens with an I/O gas engine

Every time I look at that picture I cringe. Incredible that nobody was hurt.

The unknown fisherman:p:

3. bman440440

bman440440 I am the one who knocks!!!

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ship Show(30' double decker pontoon),Ships&Giggles(32' double decker pontoon)
    from what he tells me... he pulled the boat off the trailer and pulled over to the dock and as he was getting ready to tie up to the dock and he heard a "pop" and felt the heat on the back of his legs and that was it... he said that it was not a very loud pop at all... and the engine hatch was slightly open and the 2 access hatches where open with fire coming out of the 3 places... he jumped off the boat onto the dock and that was it 187 fish's whole stern was on fire

4. Ib1

Ib1 Getting Saltier..

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    'Slayride' Invader 183 / Hobie Quest
    Wow, very scary. Glad no one was hurt, a buddy and I drove by the ramp just after, while the lot was packed with emergency crews, then I had the sad sight of seeing it towed down the strand.. Sorry for your loss.

5. Fillets4Days

Fillets4Days Newbie

Name:
    Jared
    Boat:
    NA
    I watched this fire from the water on Saturday. Very sad. Here is some video.

6. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    Gosh. I wonder what "sparked" since he wasnt trying to start the boat when it went "pop"?

7. tanner.s

tanner.s Fish Slaughterer

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I don't know if he used his blowers or not but if he left the bilge full of gas vapor, any number of things could've done it.

8. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    I hope the cause gets diagnosed and reported back so others can watch out the for same thing

9. tanner.s

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Seeing it's current condition, I'm not so sure but we'll see!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

wils likes this.
  10. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    It's anybodys guess as to what happened, but since it went up in flames very shortly after he started it, I would still lean to it first igniting right when he turned the ignition. I'm only saying this since it happens this way so many times, and with the statement about the engine hatch slightly open and the other hatches open, that probably saved him from the real big inital BOOM!!?

Who knows, but it sure could have ended up much worse.

Good lesson for I/O owners though...... open hatches, motor compartment, turn on blowers all before and during starting her up. Keep em open for a few after the start, take a look..... and then close em all up. I always opened my motor hatch and 2 other hatches on my skippy well before starting....... it's an easy thing to do, and only takes seconds to open those hatches, and a few minutes more to air out the engine compartment some more........... good piece of mind imo.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  11. Ib1

Ib1 Getting Saltier..

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I was kind of under the impression that the 'pop' blew the hatches open, and subsequently fire was coming out.. Perhaps the fuel vapor was already present, and the ignition spark ignited it all. If this is the case, the blower might have saved the day..?

12. HookEmDanO

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    I too was "thinkin" the "pop" blew the hatches open? dont know

I have had an IO for 30 years now...what I do is go to the back of the boat and put my nose down next to the vent that the blower is blowing out of and give it a good long sniff....if I smell no gas, I go ahead and start the engine.....knock on woody...I have never smelled gas

13. ?? fisherman

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    You guys are probably right. I just read into it differently at first.

14. bman440440

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ship Show(30' double decker pontoon),Ships&Giggles(32' double decker pontoon)
    yes you are correct... the boat was running for about 5 mins... here is his normal procedure...... he starts the boat on the trailer... lets it run until water temp was up to 130-140 then he backs it off the trailer and pulls over to the dock and ties up... and same for this day... the "pop" is what blew open the hatches and cover... he has and does run blower(he has two 250 CFM hi volume low noise blowers)... his has 2 ways of getting power... by the "blower switch" and automatically from the key... so more than likely it is a high pressure fuel line failure... its and MPI motor so there is no open carb letting fumes into the engine compartment and like stated before the lines are new(about 6-7 months) to and from the tank... this happened as he was at the dock getting ready to tie up

15. HookEmDanO

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    you may be correct...only the boat owner knows for sure...I just thought it strange that he wood open the engine hatch and the other 2 hatches on each side of it...BUT...you do the same...I just took a diff approach with my sniff test

16. HookEmDanO

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    ok...I see the "pop" did blow the all hatches

still....soooooooooooo sad to see this happen to a 2352 !

bman440440 likes this.
  17. bman440440

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    yes I agree!! one of the cleanest boats on the water and the cleanest 2352's I have ever seen no question!
    after EVERY trip full complete scrub and wash... and hundreds of magic erasers... 2 to 3 used per trip! even the cabin looked as if it where a new boat not a 18 year old boat

18. Ib1

Ib1 Getting Saltier..

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I didn't know the boat at all, but it was painful to see it going down the road in that condition. After seeing the damage first hand, I was just relieved that no one was injured, cuz it sure looked like it could have easily killed someone(s).

19. bman440440

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    yes me too... happy it was at the dock... if that happened out at sea with how fast it happened it could have been a LONG time before anyone knew something was wrong and started a rescue search... he did not have an epirb onboard.

20. tanner.s

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Sounds like a stroke of unavoidable bad luck. Sucks that it happened to someone who has his boat in order like that.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk