tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Gosh. I wonder what "sparked" since he wasnt trying to start the boat when it went "pop"?
I don't know if he used his blowers or not but if he left the bilge full of gas vapor, any number of things could've done it.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
It's anybodys guess as to what happened, but since it went up in flames very shortly after he started it, I would still lean to it first igniting right when he turned the ignition. I'm only saying this since it happens this way so many times, and with the statement about the engine hatch slightly open and the other hatches open, that probably saved him from the real big inital BOOM!!?

Who knows, but it sure could have ended up much worse.

Good lesson for I/O owners though...... open hatches, motor compartment, turn on blowers all before and during starting her up. Keep em open for a few after the start, take a look..... and then close em all up. I always opened my motor hatch and 2 other hatches on my skippy well before starting....... it's an easy thing to do, and only takes seconds to open those hatches, and a few minutes more to air out the engine compartment some more........... good piece of mind imo.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ib1

Getting Saltier..
May 28, 2009
IB
Name
Matt
Boat
'Slayride' Invader 183 / Hobie Quest
I was kind of under the impression that the 'pop' blew the hatches open, and subsequently fire was coming out.. Perhaps the fuel vapor was already present, and the ignition spark ignited it all. If this is the case, the blower might have saved the day..?

Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat
    1997 Trophy 2352
    I too was "thinkin" the "pop" blew the hatches open? dont know

I have had an IO for 30 years now...what I do is go to the back of the boat and put my nose down next to the vent that the blower is blowing out of and give it a good long sniff....if I smell no gas, I go ahead and start the engine.....knock on woody...I have never smelled gas

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    I was kind of under the impression that the 'pop' blew the hatches open, and subsequently fire was coming out..

I too was "thinkin" the "pop" blew the hatches open?

You guys are probably right. I just read into it differently at first.

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
    Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
    I was kind of under the impression that the 'pop' blew the hatches open, and subsequently fire was coming out.. Perhaps the fuel vapor was already present, and the ignition spark ignited it all. If this is the case, the blower might have saved the day..?

yes you are correct... the boat was running for about 5 mins... here is his normal procedure...... he starts the boat on the trailer... lets it run until water temp was up to 130-140 then he backs it off the trailer and pulls over to the dock and ties up... and same for this day... the "pop" is what blew open the hatches and cover... he has and does run blower(he has two 250 CFM hi volume low noise blowers)... his has 2 ways of getting power... by the "blower switch" and automatically from the key... so more than likely it is a high pressure fuel line failure... its and MPI motor so there is no open carb letting fumes into the engine compartment and like stated before the lines are new(about 6-7 months) to and from the tank... this happened as he was at the dock getting ready to tie up

Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat
    1997 Trophy 2352
    You guys are probably right. I just read into it differently at first.

you may be correct...only the boat owner knows for sure...I just thought it strange that he wood open the engine hatch and the other 2 hatches on each side of it...BUT...you do the same...I just took a diff approach with my sniff test

Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat
    1997 Trophy 2352
    ok...I see the "pop" did blow the all hatches

still....soooooooooooo sad to see this happen to a 2352 !

Reactions: bman440440
    Upvote 0

bman440440

Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
    ok...I see the "pop" did blow the all hatches

still....soooooooooooo sad to see this happen to a 2352 !

yes I agree!! one of the cleanest boats on the water and the cleanest 2352's I have ever seen no question!
    after EVERY trip full complete scrub and wash... and hundreds of magic erasers... 2 to 3 used per trip! even the cabin looked as if it where a new boat not a 18 year old boat

Upvote 0

Ib1

Getting Saltier..
    May 28, 2009
    IB
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    'Slayride' Invader 183 / Hobie Quest
    I didn't know the boat at all, but it was painful to see it going down the road in that condition. After seeing the damage first hand, I was just relieved that no one was injured, cuz it sure looked like it could have easily killed someone(s).

Upvote 0

bman440440

Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat
    I didn't know the boat at all, but it was painful to see it going down the road in that condition. After seeing the damage first hand, I was just relieved that no one was injured, cuz it sure looked like it could have easily killed someone(s).

yes me too... happy it was at the dock... if that happened out at sea with how fast it happened it could have been a LONG time before anyone knew something was wrong and started a rescue search... he did not have an epirb onboard.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Sounds like a stroke of unavoidable bad luck. Sucks that it happened to someone who has his boat in order like that.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

collector21

Time to fish.
    Jul 10, 2011
    Sun City Arizona
    Name
    Bill Achtenberg
    Boat
    Sea Jay-Trophy 2002 WA 97 New Merc 150 EFI 4 Stroke/14' Alumacraft
    Just a observation from the video, is it worse for the environment to put out the floating burning fuel or control it and let it burn off?

Upvote 0

bman440440

Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat
    Just a observation from the video, is it worse for the environment to put out the floating burning fuel or control it and let it burn off?

they let it burn off... it took 3 hours to do... they just kept it from burning up other property like the dock and such.

Reactions: collector21
    Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    Why would they use this headline if they don't know

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat

Upvote 0

bman440440

Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat
    holy crap... 1st time I seen that pic!! barf

Upvote 0

bman440440

Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat
    update.... fire inspector found that it was caused due to battery/electrical... main battery failure caused wiring harness to melt into fuel system... that's why it took so long for it to catch fire and explode!!
    187burned.jpg

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    Something to check on all boats now

Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat
    1997 Trophy 2352
    what exactly are you going to check? always willing to learn from a boat burning or a boat sinking...and I happen to have this same type boat

Upvote 0