yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
Left Dana landing around 6am with a heading towards the 182. And ended up closer to the 43 toward the end of the day. Grease calm weather all day. Couldn’t ask for better weather. Lots of sport boats in the general area of 182. Didn’t take more than ten minutes for us to locate our first bird school. And our second, third and so fourth. We must have rolled up on 40-50 schools of bft through the day. Wish I was exaggerating considering we couldn’t get a sniff. We skipped bait and maybe that was the nail in the coffin for us , not sure. We tried surface iron, poppers, colt snipers, flatfalls, the whole Arsenal. With jigs literally bouncing off the tunas head and them not even taking a look at it. Most action we had all day was one big ass fish roll on my buddies halco haymaker popper but miss the hooks. We saw two real foamers for the day and I cannot wrap my head around not getting bit on those. School size fish working bait balls with triple digit fish circling around moving some serious water up top. Kite fishing would have been a real challenge due to lack of wind. If you head out soon, I recommend bringing some smaller colt sniper type jigs as the fish we’re feeding on very small bait. Wish I would have taken some video, Nat geo shit almost the whole day. Never seen more tuna in my life. They’re out there boys. Go get em! Let me know what works for you if you can get a damn fish to take a jig.

Melaqueño

Jun 24, 2015
garden grove
Name
Pedro
Boat
Klamath 19'
Ya we really screwed the pooch by not bringing any bait.
I was about 5 miles below the 43, boils everywhere, I had live sardines 5”, macs 5” and anchovies 3”, we threw everything boy the kitchen sink, I wish I had my spear gun and snorkeling gear, frustrating!!! But we’ll get them next time.

Reactions: yakdout

Kirk951

Well-Known "Member"
May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
Fished the 43 yesterday running and gunning foamers. Shit you dream about. Colt snipers with chrome in it was the ticket. Ended up with a 50lb bluefin and a 30lb yellowfin. Farmed about 10. Need a small colt with a 5/0 hook. Broke off some of the small trebles on the colts. Epic day.

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
thanks for the year old report...=P

That's a long way to go without bait. Bet you don't do that again.
Shit sorry. 2018 obviously. Years are flying by. And yes, not doing that again without some sort of bait. Really thought we could get it done with the jigs..

Reactions: bloodfart

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Great report.

Been there and done that, bait never helped us. Only thing we had any luck with was big poppers and big surface iron. It has to be a significant upgrade over a mouthful of chovies or they will give two shits IMHO. Perhaps maybe a Mac slid into the mess could distract one enough. Same reason the yummy gets them I think. It’s gotta be a double cheese burger to get them off the fries.

Matching the hatch with a small jig I don’t think works because they have the chovie all balled up and and are eating the baits in multiples, they aren’t chasing down little wiggles one at a time. Maybe someone can make a HD Alabama rig LOL.

Either way, I feel the frustration. When you slide up on that first one, it’s impossible to not giddily think it’s gonna be easy like yellowfin in the corner. Then you fail and find another and think the last one was a fluke, until you go through a bunch of flukes and start reconsidering everything you think you know about fishing. F those fish, I’ll be back on it soon anyways!

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
It is super tough to get a bite when they are up top eating all that micro bait.

We just keep trying to put lures into the boils and eventually you'll get a bite or two. Frustrating as hell but fun to watch the show.

Team G 23

Jul 28, 2017
Hacienda Heights
Name
Team G
Boat
Jenny 1
Fished the 43 yesterday running and gunning foamers. Shit you dream about. Colt snipers with chrome in it was the ticket. Ended up with a 50lb bluefin and a 30lb yellowfin. Farmed about 10. Need a small colt with a 5/0 hook. Broke off some of the small trebles on the colts. Epic day.
What size/type of line were you using?

DPevin

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 4, 2016
Dana Point
Name
Evin
Boat
kayak
don't stress not having bait...my buddies fished that area saturday and both went two for two on jigs (surface iron and colt snipers). Just have to get lucky....the weekend before they were in the same boat you were....breezers and foamers all around them all day and not a single bite.

EDIT: I honestly think right now with them on the micro bait you are better off with jigs. They are just charging after the bait and moving so fast, I think its better to run and gun on them with jigs than try to slide up on them with bait. At least until they eat through all the micro bait.

Last edited:

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
A
don't stress not having bait...my buddies fished that area saturday and both went two for two on jigs (surface iron and colt snipers). Just have to get lucky....the weekend before they were in the same boat you were....breezers and foamers all around them all day and not a single bite.

EDIT: I honestly think right now with them on the micro bait you are better off with jigs. They are just charging after the bait and moving so fast, I think its better to run and gun on them with jigs than try to slide up on them with bait. At least until they eat through all the micro bait.
After seeing what I saw yesterday, I have to agree with that. These fish did not look like they would be willing to eat a hooked bait.

Reactions: DPevin

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
What style or brand 5/0 hook are you using?

Kris K

Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Fillet Show
While we are on the subject of colt snipers....how does everyone fish/present them? Let sink out then rapid retrieve? Lotta discussion on flat falls but I haven't heard much on colt sniper technique

EntropyFletch

Jun 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
1990 Mako 171
Yup, cast, let sink for as long as you feel like its in the strike zone, retrieve at a varied rate, mostly medium retrieve with a few stops and faster pulses. I've been bit about 50/50 on the fall/retrieve with the Colt Sniper.

DPevin

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 4, 2016
Dana Point
Name
Evin
Boat
kayak
While we are on the subject of colt snipers....how does everyone fish/present them? Let sink out then rapid retrieve? Lotta discussion on flat falls but I haven't heard much on colt sniper technique
Have found it helps to put a little bend/kink in the colt sniper as well. Gives it a little extra somethin' somethin'

Reactions: Zika

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
What a thrilling frustrating show to see. Worth the price of admission

Clear plastic straw. Cut one inch off the straw. Fly line it with twitches LOL