I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Hung One
Boat
Hung One
Hello everyone,

I have an 18 gallon MMM bait tank on my 17 foot Montauk in the rear. My question is, "does anyone have a similar bait tank on their skiff, and how does your bait hold up?" (Finbait). Mine seems to get very beat up when I put a scoop, and even a half a scoop doesn't hold up too well. I have it connected to a 500 GPH pump on the transom with no adjustment valve.

Anyone have any recommendations, prior to me getting a larger tank?

It's cylindrical and about 22 " tall.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Have you clocked your fill up time?

Reactions: Hungone
    Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    I have always had the best luck with 7 to 7 1/2 minutes. You want to have the water turning over at that rate to make sure it is still fresh and clean. If it is under 7 minutes you would have a higher flow which could damage the bait, over 7 minutes and you run the risk of the bait loosing oxygen. Whats nice about that method is it doesn't matter what size tank it is.

Upvote 0

Hungone

Jan 14, 2012
    Long beach
    Name
    Hung One
    Boat
    Hung One
    Thank you! That's very good info. I'll time mine next time I'm out, and if it varies greatly, I'll install a brass ball valve to get it to 7 minutes and then give it a shot.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    In addition to putting in less bait, how's your driving to the fishing grounds?

You might also consider the bait tank placement since it's in the rear. Any way to move it closer to center or just by the seat? The best bait tank will still kill bait if you're slamming the boat driving out.

Reactions: Hungone and plj46
    Upvote 0

gunnyslinger

Steady 1’s and 2’s
    Mar 15, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    20’ CC
    18 gallon tank can hold approx. 1/4 scoop and keep the bait alive. 30 gallons will hold 1/2 scoop of bait, 60 gallons for a full scoop. So you need to either fill with less bait or get a larger tank.
    Damn, I put 2 scoops in my 45 gal tank and won’t lose a bait all day. Full scoop in my old 30 gal and 1/2 scoop in a 22 gal.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    My 35 gallon tank fills in less than 5 minutes and works great.Don't get too caught up in fill time.
    Your right on that one, a lot has to do to the way the water is flowing into the tans. It's compared to having a hose (1 feed of water source vs having either a baffle in the tank or multiple holes flowing tight to the inside walls around the tank. Also the condition of the bait will determine how much to put in.

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Thank you! That's very good info. I'll time mine next time I'm out, and if it varies greatly, I'll install a brass ball valve to get it to 7 minutes and then give it a shot.

I would go with PVC on that valve. No corrosion and cheaper.

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

Hungone

Jan 14, 2012
    Long beach
    Name
    Hung One
    Boat
    Hung One
    Thank you for all the great info. Mine has 1 feed source that pushes water into the tank. I'll try the next couple of trips with just a half scoop of fin bait.

I drive pretty mellow to the grounds, but the little montauk definitely slaps at times.

I will go with a PVC valve

If none of this works, I'll go with a 30 gallon tank. I just don't want to cut more holes in my floor. I may just use the existing three holes, countersink some starboard, secure that to the three existing brackets, and then secure the new tank to the starboard with new hardware.

Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
    Aug 26, 2009
    San Diego
    Name
    John B
    Boat
    BW
    My Montauk has a Kodiak PF-22 (22 gallon) tank. It holds a 1/2 scoop with a 500gph pump and keeps bait alive well. I have some pictures somewhere on here how I installed mine but I don't remember where they are. Definitely go PVC for your valve. Mine broke when we were in a hot bite and we had to rig a quick solution to keep the water in the tank.

Be cautious of having too big of a tank on your whaler as it gets heavy fast! Also, the more top heavy the tank is, the more likely you will have water intrusion through your holes over time as these boats are not that stable.

Upvote 0

Hungone

Jan 14, 2012
    Long beach
    Name
    Hung One
    Boat
    Hung One
    Alright everyone, just went out and times my 18 gallon tank. It fills in 3 minutes. I have since purchased a pvc valve to regulate the flow.

Upvote 0