Knotsea1957

Captain/100 Ton Master
Aug 8, 2007
32*51`220 117*13`540 (La Jolla)
Name
Fred Leinweber
Boat
23FT PANGA
Yeah I will start posting some pics . Yes it will get a CC but it will be a small pilot house instead I'm getting old and don't like getting wet . I'm still trying to decide how big a motor to put on this thing its getting an Armstrong bracket put on the back it weighs 2300 lbs empty I did the Coast Guard calculations it comes out to a 230hp motor seems a little big to me but I would rather have plenty of power than under powered . :jig:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

knot keely

Aug 9, 2014
The Bight
Name
Dan
Boat
Anderson 22 - Slingshot
Do it up like this one!

attachment.php

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
He's got a Panga not an Anderson Greenough.
Fred, my dad and I fished at Rancho Leonero last year. 24' Super Panga with a Yamaha 4 stroke 115. 230 seems like overkill. They pull such a shallow draft that youre not dispalacing much water...which is where the great fuel mileage comes in. Id do a search on pangas and check out what most are powered by. That SD guy with the white 20'er uses a 48 2 stroke tiller on his...just for comparison sake.

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Well they say drilling a hole in a perfectly fine boat is stressful....today I drilled 10! Yes it was outboard bracket day. I measured 11 times just to be sort of sure, then marked out my holes and plunged the bit repeatedly into the transom. I grabbed some 1/4 aluminum from the local fab shop and made a backing plate to spread the load. Stainless 1/2" bolts, nuts, washers and a copious amount of 5200 and I was ready to make a mess!
With a fair amount of f-bombs and grunting everything slid into place. I snugged her up tight and watched as the 5200 oozed out the edges, always a good confirming feeling of water tightness. I waited a bit then cleaned up the slop and all my tools with some lacquer thinner. Im sure a shop wouldve charged me an arm and a leg, so here's to all the do it yourselfers out there.....Git-R-Dunn!!
Motor to follow, stay tuned.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Big Bad Bill

Mar 30, 2011
Santa Barbara Channel
Name
Big Bad Bill
Boat
Bijoux Del Mar
That is a Panga hull that got a full treatment Andersons.
that is the "Jolly Rancher" a La Paz panga morphed into a commercial dive boat by the owner with Anderson's guidance. It's powered with a Yamaha F70. Picture was taken on it's maiden voyage. That's Anderson (out of the boatyard) in the blue shirt on the stern.
230 hp? RU crazy? might kill yourself

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Without any dearise, you should be good to go with a small motor. Maybe 90-115?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Knotsea1957

Captain/100 Ton Master
Aug 8, 2007
32*51`220 117*13`540 (La Jolla)
Name
Fred Leinweber
Boat
23FT PANGA
Great work on the Dory and the bracket looks awesome very very nice . Yeah I will be looking at different pangas and the power (HP) that they have on them , the boat came with a old 140hp Johnson on it not sure how it did with that motor was locked up solid . Again nice work on the Dory :jig:

Reactions: Caseydmaze
Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Your panga is coming along really nice, keep the progress pics coming!

Great work on the Dory and the bracket looks awesome very very nice . Yeah I will be looking at different pangas and the power (HP) that they have on them , the boat came with a old 140hp Johnson on it not sure how it did with that motor was locked up solid . Again nice work on the Dory :jig:

I surf off a 25ft panga in mainland Mex one week every year. Loaded up with 8 surfers, 1 driver, cooler full of beer/food, probably 10 surfboards....a tiller steer 115hp pushes it along no problems at all. They're very fuel efficient hulls. Hope that helps in your powerplant decision....a 230hp OB would be WAY overkill, that being said i do have a 350hp 383 in my 20ft Radon :)

Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
Yeah I will start posting some pics . Yes it will get a CC but it will be a small pilot house instead I'm getting old and don't like getting wet . I'm still trying to decide how big a motor to put on this thing its getting an Armstrong bracket put on the back it weighs 2300 lbs empty I did the Coast Guard calculations it comes out to a 230hp motor seems a little big to me but I would rather have plenty of power than under powered . :jig:
Ive got a 22' privateer that weighes a little more than yours and its got a 140 hp johnson two stroke that pushes it at 30 knots with a boatload of people , if you put a 230hp on that skiff and punched it you would flip over backwards and sink it !

Reactions: Canyon
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Using the same bracket on my project. Can you give me more info on your backing plate? What type of material, how much, who, etc?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Using the same bracket on my project. Can you give me more info on your backing plate? What type of material, how much, who, etc?

Thanks!
Ya for sure. I called A & J so Im confident this is good info here. I used 1/4" thick aluminum. I have a metal supply place here in Temecula called Tusker Metals. They have all sorts of stock and usually have surplus of cut pieces as well. As it turns out the day I dropped by they had just decided to begin cutting smaller pieces if aluminum for customers. I picked up two sizes, 25"x14" and 12"x8".
I couldnt do one huge plate since i have that built-in fishbox so these pieces worked perfectly! Also A & J recommended stainless steel mounting hardware in this order:
1/2" x 4" bolt
Metal washer
Nylon washer
(Outboard Bracket)
(Transom)
Aluminum Backing Plate
Nut
Hope it helps!
Heres a few pics of my mess:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I like it, will you add a grab arch to it? With the minimal seating, it might be a good idea for standing at the helm.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
That's a great idea Tanner. Other than the wheel there isnt anything. I probably need a windshield as well. If anyone has any contacts or places to get this stuff either local or inexpensive thatd really be helpful!!

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
I built my last windshield and will be doing one for my current cc as well. Plexiglass from the local diy store, some rubber closet door stops as spacers and good to go. Cut the template out of cardboard and traced it on Plexiglass. Cut it out and bent the edges with a heat gun. About $70 all in.

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
I built my last windshield and will be doing one for my current cc as well. Plexiglass from the local diy store, some rubber closet door stops as spacers and good to go. Cut the template out of cardboard and traced it on Plexiglass. Cut it out and bent the edges with a heat gun. About $70 all in.
Awesome! Thats the kind of info I can dig!! Thanks alot!!! I think I saw your Invader on here...that was you right?

Upvote 0