18' Dory

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Quite a long history, now Im bringing it home. This boat was left for dead, then partially resurrected. "Number Nine" is the ninth of 18 boats built in San Pedro called "John Woody's". As the previous owner Mike described it, its more of a classic '69 VW than modern day off the shelf piece of plastic. I'm attracted to things of yesteryear...nostalgia. I dont know why, maybe its the quality in craftsmanship or the idea that things were once built to last, or just the simple fact that its different. As a kid growing up in Newport Beach I used to watch the old dory boats returning from sea with their daily catch. Theyd charge in througj the surf and slide up right into the sand. I thiught it was bitchen!! When I saw the boat two things immediately caught my attention...the lines and the full transom! Mike had picked it up on the cheap and buried himself in the project, immersing his soul into the build. Months of grinding and serious fiberglass work got it to its present state. It was to one day be his baja sled. Heavy lifting complete, a new baby changed his daily responsibilities and so it made its way through another party for a brief stay before I finally got my chance to tow it home and get to work. Currently I am fairing and sanding all the glass work. All ideas, criticism, and suggestions are welcome, but just remember, The owner reserves the right to refuse service to anyone!! I'll shut up for now and post some pics and ill try to continue updating with pics and progress reports. Enjoy!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 0

skiff

skiff
Apr 30, 2007
central coast of california
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Radon
Love that hull, it'll be a great project. I think there used to be two of these skiffs up here in the Morro Bay area...? I remember those distinct side chines... Good luck with it, and keep us in the loop as she progresses.

Reactions: Caseydmaze
Upvote 0

AddyJ

Apr 2, 2016
LBC
Name
Michael johnston
Boat
177 SurfSkiff
Btw, Bondo wont stick to the epoxy I used. Need to grind it off and make epoxy filler I had pre-mixed in the white containers

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Ya Mike that was Aaron's work on the bow there. Ive been fairing down the rails using Systam Three Quick Fair. Easy to use and easier to sand!! Sets up in 3-4 hours which is cool.
I jacked it up and climbed under it to try and prep the bottom yesterday....you were right it needs to be flipped and done right. Heres what the underside looked like...
image.jpeg
So I went with plan "B" which should have been plan "A". Limited on room to flip it in a garage, I used a little Easter Island ingenuity. As the old saying goes in the rescue biz..."lift an inch crib an inch." image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Flipped! Next time Ill just do the beers and buddies thing! Forget all that ratcheting and cribbing! Glad shes ass over tea kettle, now I can strip her, patch some holes and re-paint her so she glides right!! Enjoy
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Nice rally on a cool project! Keep up the can do attitude with great solutions! Awesome! I'll be following this thread for sure. Can't wait to see where you take this project.

Upvote 0

crawdadguy

team greybeard
  • Feb 21, 2006
    NO. County S.D.
    Name
    crawdad guy
    Boat
    21 seaswirl DC
    nice jog down memory lane with the Newport dory thing...i too sat as a lad staring at the "sea trout" and rockfish being wrapped in rolled newspaper
    cool boat great name!! Beatles lyric...#9...#9...#9

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Mackerel Marauder
    Boat
    18' Stringari Skiff
    Been working on this thing at night, making some progress. Stripped all the old bottom paint which revealed a handful of old wood screws and few cracks worth repairing. Broke out the dremel tool and ground out the surrounding gelcoat down to the glass. Glass/Epoxied the holes then sanded em down. Should be more than strong enough and water tight. Decided to use the epoxy/graphite mixture on the bottom. This should give the bottom a super slippery finish while creating a bomb proof texture...which is perfect for this old hull. If I ever end up beach launching itll give it a very durable finish. One coat down...two to go!
    Also I climbed up underneath and finished taping the hull to rail. There already was a layer of glass but I just relayed another coat for strength and good measure. Shes coming along slow but steady. Thanks for looking!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I'm curious, how does the Dory ride? Is it more of a displacement hull or are you pounding that flat bottom against chop all day?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Mackerel Marauder
    Boat
    18' Stringari Skiff
    I'll let others chime in here who actually have the experience. I am expecting this boat to be ridiculously sea worthy yet demand a mellow throttle hand. No plowing head first into the swells. I'll be quartering and surfing the trough wherever its needed. I think the idea here is to slow down enough to get on plane and let the bow do the heavy lifting. Every boat has trade offs. I think the upside will be a stable hull that is great to fight fish, pull hoop nets, surf downswell, drift paddies, but has to be mindfully driven into oncoming seas and chop. Its just give and take. Ask anyone with a whaler if its a bumpy ride or if they get wet....even while raving about how bitchen it is...theres just always pros and cons. We're a ways out from splashdown but ill for sure be banging in with updates once its waterlogged. Oh ya, coat #2 of epoxy/graphite went on today.
    Thanks for checking it out!

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I'll let others chime in here who actually have the experience. I am expecting this boat to be ridiculously sea worthy yet demand a mellow throttle hand. No plowing head first into the swells. I'll be quartering and surfing the trough wherever its needed. I think the idea here is to slow down enough to get on plane and let the bow do the heavy lifting. Every boat has trade offs. I think the upside will be a stable hull that is great to fight fish, pull hoop nets, surf downswell, drift paddies, but has to be mindfully driven into oncoming seas and chop. Its just give and take. Ask anyone with a whaler if its a bumpy ride or if they get wet....even while raving about how bitchen it is...theres just always pros and cons. We're a ways out from splashdown but ill for sure be banging in with updates once its waterlogged. Oh ya, coat #2 of epoxy/graphite went on today.
    Thanks for checking it out!
    That's what I figured, slow it down and keep the hull in the water for the most part. Looks like it will be stable and dry though!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Mackerel Marauder
    Boat
    18' Stringari Skiff
    Trailer needs some love...Bunks, frame straightening, replace the winch, fix the post, drop in some new bearings, wire it up....start where you stand and just get going!!!! Maybe a new thread under "Check Out My Trailer!"
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Mackerel Marauder
    Boat
    18' Stringari Skiff
    Took my 8 year old's advice and bought a better trailer!! Donated the old one to the local recycler, picked one up on CL for 2 bills. Only problem...it came with a worn out 78 fiberglass boat. No one wanted it so i had to get a "junk receipt" from the DMV to dispose of it responsibly at the local landfill... Ya I couldve just taken the bow clip off and driven down a bumpy dirt road late one night, but I mountain bike and used to off road and people who drop there old boats off on desert roads piss me off!!! Ya maybe I wasted a day at the DMV, but you know what, karma is a bitch and Ive got a yellowtail or two coming my way now!! I repainted the rims and repacked the bearings, cleaned it up a little and threw some new rubber on the rims for early morning insurance. Now Im measuring for new tabs to mount the bunks. The wood is for a guide. Screwing the tabs right into the wood then tacking em up is simple and theyre dead straight!! Nothing like sliding in at the end of the day onto a trailer where everything works and is set up right!! The skiff got its third and final coat of paint which means "flipping day" can't be too far off!! Back to the grind...literally.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpg
    image.jpeg

Upvote 0

SurfSeeker

Captain
    Jan 8, 2014
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Taylor
    Boat
    Radon 15 "Bixby Bandit" (SOLD), Hawkins 10, 17' Outrage
    I bought a trailer in a similar way… It was 200 bucks for the trailer and boat (crappy old Bayliner) or 250 for the trailer alone. I decided I didn't want to deal with the boat so I gave the guy an extra 50 bucks. I came back a few days later to pick up the trailer and the boat was still on it… Tied the boat to a tree in the guys yard and pulled the trailer out from under the boat. Since then I've done the bearings twice, new bunks, new guides, new leaf-springs, new shackles, new lights, new jack, and new safely chain…

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Mackerel Marauder
    Boat
    18' Stringari Skiff
    I bought a trailer in a similar way… It was 200 bucks for the trailer and boat (crappy old Bayliner) or 250 for the trailer alone. I decided I didn't want to deal with the boat so I gave the guy an extra 50 bucks. I came back a few days later to pick up the trailer and the boat was still on it… Tied the boat to a tree in the guys yard and pulled the trailer out from under the boat. Since then I've done the bearings twice, new bunks, new guides, new leaf-springs, new shackles, new lights, new jack, and new safely chain…
    Thats too funny! I had a D-11 Dozer back up to the boat, I secured a strap to it and the boat and away he went!!! Booom, off the trailer!! The ground was shaking when he was 100' away and approaching! The ground attandant warned me..."Hes in a really bad mood today!" I was fumbling arounde trying to get the strap...connected and then trying to get the strap off (almost said strap o_...nevermind). I could feel his eyes burning a hole in the back of my head from his 12' high seat with dirty dump stained windows!! I like your tree method better!!! Hahaha!

Reactions: SurfSeeker
    Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Mackerel Marauder
    Boat
    18' Stringari Skiff
    image.png
    image.png
    Bought a 20' piece of 3" C-Channel 1/4" thick at the local metal fab supplier. Had them cut it into three pre-measured lengths for cross members. Cost 57 bucks. Asked my neighbor who builds hot rods to help with a little welding project...he obliged. He loathes any wood project so other than borrowing my ladder and wheelbarrow every so often I may owe him some routing and sanding one day. An hour later I had three nice cross members welded into place. I painted 'em up and layed out these 2X6's and began drilling. All holes are now drilled. Once I carpet the bunks I'll lag bolt them into place and then well have a nice roller for the skiff to rest on. Then all that will be left is: mounting the outboard bracket, buying a motor, finishing up the fuel fill, building a console, all the electrical, mounting the thru-Hulls.......the list goes on......

Upvote 0

AkuaDave

Jun 1, 2006
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    26', Seaswirl, Akua
    View attachment 761556 View attachment 761557 Bought a 20' piece of 3" C-Channel 1/4" thick at the local metal fab supplier. Had them cut it into three pre-measured lengths for cross members. Cost 57 bucks. Asked my neighbor who builds hot rods to help with a little welding project...he obliged. He loathes any wood project so other than borrowing my ladder and wheelbarrow every so often I may owe him some routing and sanding one day. An hour later I had three nice cross members welded into place. I painted 'em up and layed out these 2X6's and began drilling. All holes are now drilled. Once I carpet the bunks I'll lag bolt them into place and then well have a nice roller for the skiff to rest on. Then all that will be left is: mounting the outboard bracket, buying a motor, finishing up the fuel fill, building a console, all the electrical, mounting the thru-Hulls.......the list goes on......
    Trust me, the list never ends!! But the tasks become more fun! Lookin good KC ..
    I know you're not there yet but do you need an anchor?

Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Mackerel Marauder
    Boat
    18' Stringari Skiff
    Trust me, the list never ends!! But the tasks become more fun! Lookin good KC ..
    I know you're not there yet but do you need an anchor?
    Thanks Buddy!! Ive got one or two buried in "The Pile" in the garage. Ive got the Fluke style, whaddayou recommend?

Upvote 0