18' Cat for SB to Channel Islands

sbavo

Dec 27, 2019
Santa Barbara
Name
Andrew
Boat
Wellcraft Nova 250
Thoughts on keeping this 18' cat in a slip in SB harbor and using for frequent island trips? I don't have any experience with cats. How do they do in typical channel conditions? Is 2x 25hp outboards with a top speed in 20-23 knots range enough power?

00o0o_49wZI8OpgA4z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00M0M_9zrj1MN7JsDz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Upvote 0

woolybugger

Mar 7, 2006
San pedro
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 1801 cc
Personally i would want a bit more power. I run an 18ft parker 1801 with a 150hp and when im fully loaded down i make use of it.
The boat should be fine as long as you pick your days and respect the sea. Also imo slipping a boat that small is only worthwhile if you plan on using it regularly and conditions may prevent that sometimes.

Upvote 0

sbavo

Dec 27, 2019
Santa Barbara
Name
Andrew
Boat
Wellcraft Nova 250
Personally i would want a bit more power. I run an 18ft parker 1801 with a 150hp and when im fully loaded down i make use of it.
The boat should be fine as long as you pick your days and respect the sea. Also imo slipping a boat that small is only worthwhile if you plan on using it regularly and conditions may prevent that sometimes.

The goal is to use it as much as possible. I've put my current boat in guest slips in the harbor before and the convenience of having it in the water and ready to go was great.

I have the slip, now I'm looking for a boat to put in it.

Upvote 0

Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2017
Ventura, CA
Name
Drew Stephens
Boat
Sunbird Neptune 230
Looks rad as hell from the front. Seems severely underpowered. Now 18 foot boats are running 100 horses more than that

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
On a calm day, sure. It looks like I'd be scared shitless in any kind of weather....

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    It should be really economical for solo fishing? Or you and a kid or dog. Don't expect dancing horses if you bring a big adult and a full load.

Upvote 0

Miss Fitz

Call me Captain
    Mar 4, 2013
    San Diego
    fuck-you-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on.com
    Name
    Vince
    Boat
    26' TwinVee Pilot House
    Do a sea trial on it on as windy & messy day you can (obviously less than SCA). Turn it nose in, quartering and then following seas. Note the ride, speed and pucker factor (if any) at varying swell angles. Think about what you would do if you had to get on the bow of that boat. 2x 25hp seems under powered for two grown men plus gear, ice etc. IMO

Never seen a hull like that one. Good luck!

Last edited:

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    "20 plus mpg"?
    the ad doesnt say what the boat its made of.
    the trailer is rusting away while we speak
    for your "sea trial", go out on a windy afternoon and run sideways to the swell.

I love the wierd perspective - size of truck v size of boat - in this picture..... like...... WTF?

1622203533306.png

Upvote 0